SAU Community

Window Tint!

hi guys,

Im looking at getting my R33 tinted and i have been offered a very low cost for a red mirror tint, and also for a charcoal tint. I would like the red tint, and i have a friend who has the same reflective tint in blue. he hasnt been fined, but im wandering if anyone knows if this is illegal or not? Also the charcoal tint is at 5%, is this illegal? i have heard about people getting away with it. What do you think?

Yeah bud definetly illegal hence why when you go to a tint shop 35% is the darkest legal tint they all say that for a reason cause any less is illegal obviously... also the blue reflective one the cops if they want can get you for alot more than just dark tint, such as distracting the public and other stuff related to that... but still i've seen alot of it done so it's no really something there out targeting.

ok, well i think ill just stick with the red tint. i contacted the tint place today and gave me a quote of $325 for 'legal red tint'. And Mikyel that looks awesome, my friend has the same blue tint on his, except the guy he bought it off took the back tint off cause he couldnt see through it! I havent actually got mine done yet, but i plan to within the next week. ill have my digital camera back by then too.

yes, any other coloured tint other than the normal is illegal as it "distorts" the vision of the driver.

35% tint is the legal limit. Any darker, the cops can defect you for it and you will run into insurance claim issues. Insurnace companies can reject your claim id the tint is darker than 35%. Also, if someone smashes your window, the insurance will only replace with 35% tint.

yes, any other coloured tint other than the normal is illegal as it "distorts" the vision of the driver.

35% tint is the legal limit. Any darker, the cops can defect you for it and you will run into insurance claim issues. Insurnace companies can reject your claim id the tint is darker than 35%. Also, if someone smashes your window, the insurance will only replace with 35% tint.

I think it should all be fine as long as the front window isnt done, well obviously it couldnt be done. What about the window parts behind the driver and passenger. On a 2door coupe where the passengers look out, do the same rules apply?

The rear can be super dark, defect for tinting comes into it when you have darker then 35% in cabin area directly infront and to your sides (i.e front window, and two side windows)

Its stupid to have dark tinting anyways I feel it kills lighting drematically and reduces visablity which is a pain in the ass in parking lots, dark weather, dark areas, night etc .. I.E YOU CANT SEE SHIT!

-but ill still get it :S

The rear can be super dark, defect for tinting comes into it when you have darker then 35% in cabin area directly infront and to your sides (i.e front window, and two side windows)

Its stupid to have dark tinting anyways I feel it kills lighting drematically and reduces visablity which is a pain in the ass in parking lots, dark weather, dark areas, night etc .. I.E YOU CANT SEE SHIT!

-but ill still get it :S

haha, yea but i dont look out the back side windows anyway, only for looks i guess :)

I have 5% tinting on the door windows and lighter tint everywhere else. The privacy is awesome as I hate people gawkin at me when im driving so that problem is easily solved by putting up the windows. Personally I wouldn't have put tint that dark on as you can't see anything at night and obviously when its wet u have to have the windows up (it was on the car when i bought it). Also any insurance is void so that can be a drawback...

I have 5% tinting on the door windows and lighter tint everywhere else. The privacy is awesome as I hate people gawkin at me when im driving so that problem is easily solved by putting up the windows. Personally I wouldn't have put tint that dark on as you can't see anything at night and obviously when its wet u have to have the windows up (it was on the car when i bought it). Also any insurance is void so that can be a drawback...

yea thats tru, i was actually looking at an awesome tint today, it was a red that fades slowly into a charcoal, but it fades from 20% to 5%! would look so awesome, but i dont think i would get away with it. attract too much attention with the cops, even if i wound down the windows, the back window would be covered in it.

I have had 5% all round for over 4 years.. its not hard to see out of once your used to it, reverse lights on 33's atleast are bright enough to reverse with (only if you actually turn around) plus it makes anycar look alot better than the 35% legal stuff

oh and also been through Defect stations on the way to summernats in NSW - no issues with the tint (despite 11 other defects) - only ever had 1 cop mention it - got away with saying the windows are dirty

Just do 35 and 5% on the rears will look mint

i think i will just stick with the 35%, remember im just doing mirror red. I asked the tint people and they said its well in the legal limit, im thinkin about puttin some darker film behind it to make it a darker red and make it 35%

if the red is 35% then putting a 35% behind it will cut it down to around 20% anyway ..

oh no the red is clearer than 35% its prob like a 50% or somethin, but i can put a shade of tint behind it to make it a lil darker, within the 35% limit