SAU Community

Bosch Coil Packs On Rb20

hi

ive done a search and couldnt really find what i was atfer, so i thought id just throw the question straight out there.

im running an RB20DET, and my coilpacks have shat themselves. i borrowed a mates splitfires to make sure this was my problem, and it is.

my question is, i have some bosch HEC-715 coils from a previous engine i had, and im wondering if they can be wired up to the standard RB20 ignitor module? i know i need to run the postive feed and switched negative feed to the coils, and discard the common earth, but i'm just not sure whether the HEC-715's are compatible with the RB20 ignitor.

Has anyone tried this?

thanks in advance,

brendan

anythings possible, quite a few people have done coil conversion using leads, however it doesnt make it better then the stock nissan coilpack over plug arrangement, all your doing is adding an extra thing to go wrong (leads). that said. if its cheap it could work out for you.

and yes, discard common earth and run the power and switched neg and your all set, should work just fine with the ignitor

The HEC715 have a very low primary resistance winding and are designed to work with smart current limited (7amps) ignition modules.

If you use it on the Rb20 ignitor, it has the possibility of burning out the transistors in the ignition module.

Also changing to these coils means the factory programmed dwell times aren't really programmed to charge the larger coils, so you may not get saturation and maximum spark.

There is just to many variables to really say, yes it will work but for how long, you may not have optimal spark output and it may or may not eventually kill the module.

I doubt you have 6 stuffed coils, just buy good s/hand replacements and change the dud ones. Then leave the coil cover off in future to stop the heat getting to them.

that was pretty bloody informative. thanks for that. i already have left my coil cover off, but i was just hoping for a cheaper way out than to shell out $500+ on splitfires when this setup owes me less than hlaf that...