SAU Community

New Gtr

Deluxe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only read your original post from people quoting it in reply. :D Apology accepted. Peace, dude.

doh! sometimes i hate the quote button... things come back to haunt me.. :P:)

The original BMW SMG changed gears at 80ms in its fastest setting, which is faster than any human could do it in.

Too bad the thing sucked around town because it was too lurchy, and electronics gremlins would occasionally attack the thing and cause it to drop in to failsafe mode when pushed hard. So the thing was really good everywhere except on the street or in race conditions.....

The first Ferrari "F1 gearbox" (I think it debuted in the 355?) did it in 250ms, which isn't that slow either. Except, around town, I think it had an appetite for clutches.

I'd love a car with that DSG gearbox. Such an awesome concept, and from what I've heard from owners it works in practice. Always being on the power also means zero lag, as the engine never loses load and falls off boost.

Being in the industry(wont say which manufacturer) but i personally would still buy a manual over the DSG. That said, the DSG is bloddy awesome for what it is and i would most definitely own one for the missus.

When you say "auto", do you mean gear selection or clutch actuation? I'd agree if its the former and disagree if its the latter,

I can't think of any auto gear selecting race cars (pretty sure even most drag cars still have to select gears manually), and there's a reason why F1 cars only use a clutch pedal off the line.

Hi Scathing,

Not sure if I am reading this correctly, are you saying that there are no race cars that choose the gear for the driver. If this is what you are saying then I have to disagree. F1 cars a few years ago had automatic gear boxes. After one or two years they were then forced back to manual gear changes.

Sorry if I misread it.

On a different note my Golf GTI uses DSG and I absolutely love it. Amazingly quick, 3 thenths quicker to 100km/h over the manual box and it stays in whatever gear I choose, as it should.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
I doubt it.

The new GTR will be a pig of a car weighing in at 1740kg, will only be available in automatic, and will come with run-flats as standard.

The hyped up times for the GTR is similar to the previous sub 8 minute time..........i.e. they were never proven and they were never official times.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0TMXr2ReNhk

:) :) :D

Edited by shAkIeL