SAU Community

Engine Cutting Out?

Botters

Ive only had my 97 R33 Gtst for about a year now and hasnt really been driven alot and never really that hard.

Recently i have been having problems with the engine cutting out while just crusing. This problem normally happens within the first half an hour of driving. I may just be crusing along at around 80-100kph and the engine will loose all power. So the car is still moving just slowing down because there is no engine power, I push down on the accelerator and nothing happens, sometimes if i give it a little pump on the accelerator the engine will start again. Normally when it happens i pull over. It it doesnt start again i just slow to a complete stop and try starting it again. It normally starts again after a little while. So i just let it idle for a bit.

I found a little kink in the hose that goes to my Greedy profec BII boost controller. Since i fixed that it hasnt the car hasnt played up. But sometimes it maybe a week or 2 inbetween times it f**ks up on me.

The car has never really felt that powerful either, sounds like its running fine but im not a mechanic just a backyard one. Always is backfireing and spluttering around

So if anyone has had similar problems or any advice, i need it now before i spend some money on an expert for maybe a small problem like a fuel filter which is next on my agenda to change.

Mods. - Pod, EBC, FMIC, 3"Cat Back

How serious is this problem? Is it an easy fix (DIY?) And what exactly is a Power Transistor Unit?

the power transistor unit provides spark for your coil packs.

its an easy job to replace and a 2nd hand unit can be picked up cheaply, but they are prone to failure. better off getting a new series 2 unit, try nissan. but make sure the ptu is the problem first by swapping it with another one that someone might kindly lend you to see if it fixes the problem.

Since i have no idea about the PTU, where abouts is it located (R33 Series II GTSt)? Is there anyways to test if this actually is the problem ie. Visual Inspection, Testing Resistances or Continuity with Multimeter. Is it possible to clean it or any way of restoring/fixing the original one?

Its just hard to borrow someone elses since the fault may only occur once a week or whenever its pretty random. Ive seen one on ebay for $200, but still dont recognise this component from under the hood. Help would be much apreciated.

Has anyone else had faults with there PTU or Similar faults to this. Would changing the PTU also fix a real bad flat spot between 4-5k?

Sorry all i want is some answers before spending $200 or so on a PTU that i may not actually even need.

Cheers

Since i have no idea about the PTU, where abouts is it located (R33 Series II GTSt)? Is there anyways to test if this actually is the problem ie. Visual Inspection, Testing Resistances or Continuity with Multimeter. Is it possible to clean it or any way of restoring/fixing the original one?

Its just hard to borrow someone elses since the fault may only occur once a week or whenever its pretty random. Ive seen one on ebay for $200, but still dont recognise this component from under the hood. Help would be much apreciated.

Has anyone else had faults with there PTU or Similar faults to this. Would changing the PTU also fix a real bad flat spot between 4-5k?

Sorry all i want is some answers before spending $200 or so on a PTU that i may not actually even need.

Cheers

having some simular issues. let me know how it turns out for you

Sounds more like a problem with the air flow meter

Mine did the same thing on the way to get petrol one night. started up again fine and managed to make it home.

The next day it started and died after a min or so. Borrowed a replacement and it ran fine.

a dying AFM could cause the misfire too if its not reading right.

Your one could just have a loose connection, theres a DIY thread to fix them. In my case it wasnt repairable.

or it could just need a good clean.

Check your spark plugs and your intercooler piping for any leaks too

Sounds more like a problem with the air flow meter

Mine did the same thing on the way to get petrol one night. started up again fine and managed to make it home.

The next day it started and died after a min or so. Borrowed a replacement and it ran fine.

a dying AFM could cause the misfire too if its not reading right.

Your one could just have a loose connection, theres a DIY thread to fix them. In my case it wasnt repairable.

or it could just need a good clean.

Check your spark plugs and your intercooler piping for any leaks too

i took a look at the diy thread you mentioned and opened up my maf and noticed that almost none of my connectors were touching properly. so Im assuming this was my issue so maybe it will be yours as well.

i plan on replacing mine with a z32 soon, but not until i run put on all the parts ive collected to need it. Right now i am still on stock injectors/turbo so I dont think I need the z32 maf just yet but once again thanks for pointing out that DIY I will post up if thats the issue.