SAU Community

First Skyline

gday everyone, im new to the site and am seeking some advice

im 16 and looking to buy a skyline for my car on my P's, it will have to be non turbo because of those gay new laws and was wondering what type i should get, iv got just over a year till im 18 and im saving my money, whats the best type of non turbo skyline out there for a resonable price? cheers

gday everyone, im new to the site and am seeking some advice

im 16 and looking to buy a skyline for my car on my P's, it will have to be non turbo because of those gay new laws and was wondering what type i should get, iv got just over a year till im 18 and im saving my money, whats the best type of non turbo skyline out there for a resonable price? cheers

welcome to SAU,

Depending on your budget, But something like a Series 2 R33 or R34 would be nice. I have a series 2 R33 n it goes nice for a stock car but once u get used to the power like i did lol then your gona want to get turbo.

Price of skylines have gone down heaps and in a year they will drop even more. And in a year you probably wont even want a skyline. So my advice is save money, and when you have the money go and buy the car that you can afford to buy and upkeep ;)

i got my P's 2 months ago and i got a 96 series 2 gts imported from japan....it cost be about $13,000 to get it on the road.

even tho its a non turbo, i still think its pretty nice for a first car (has the power and looks). ;)

yea, i agree with J3T33, save up $$ first...because u would probably change ur mind in a yr or so.

for me, i changed my mind from a prelude, to a lancer, to a 300z, and finally chosen a skyline haha.

Buy an R31/VL

Both cars a good platforms for midification..

Its a beater..

Parts are cheap as chips..

Learn to drive and drive well.. RWD can be a bit to handle.. so learn oversteer and how to control it.

Your bound to get a few dents and scratches on your first car.. and you dont want them on your pride and joy.. Especially if you paye 13K on an R33 just to have a massive scratch down the side of it..

50% of p-platers have an accident in their first year. You dont want to write off an R33 you just baught.

If you buy a 2door insurance will go up because its a) a skyline and b) because its a 2 door.. its a sports car.. and ur a p-plater.. and ur 18.. yikies..

thats my 2c

Buy an R31/VL

Both cars a good platforms for midification..

Its a beater..

Parts are cheap as chips..

Learn to drive and drive well.. RWD can be a bit to handle.. so learn oversteer and how to control it.

Your bound to get a few dents and scratches on your first car.. and you dont want them on your pride and joy.. Especially if you paye 13K on an R33 just to have a massive scratch down the side of it..

50% of p-platers have an accident in their first year. You dont want to write off an R33 you just baught.

If you buy a 2door insurance will go up because its a) a skyline and b) because its a 2 door.. its a sports car.. and ur a p-plater.. and ur 18.. yikies..

thats my 2c

+1. ive had mine for 2 weeks now, and i already backed into a wall....luckily the mark was only the size of a finger print....

and like GTS4WD said, insurance is a pain in the ass...only 2 companies would insurance my skyline, all othera wouldnt even touch it, and they were Just Car and Famous, both quoted me for $2893 per yr full comp, which i cant afford it. so i ended up getting 3rd party+fire+theft for $650...

thanks guys, what would be some of the first mods i should do to give it some balls

lol first buy the car n then think about the mods mate...

thers a thread that is just starting to get underway now... n it will tell you exactly what mods you can do to a NA Skyline..

another option is to go the DE+T if you buy a skyline... thats what im doing... read my thread might be something you will be interested in later on...

peace :glare:

thers a thread that is just starting to get underway now... n it will tell you exactly what mods you can do to a NA Skyline..

another option is to go the DE+T if you buy a skyline... thats what im doing... read my thread might be something you will be interested in later on...

he cant....hes on his P's lols

im pretty sure ur not allow any mods that will affect ur performance when ur on ur P's.....especially putting a turbo in..

Edited by Charles89

bah.. every tom dick and harry has a turbo skyline..

Theres already some info up on this thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Po...sp-t194033.html

its only going to get bigger and better!

This is only one option though..

• 2 weeks later...

im from W.A so we dont have those restrictions laws but i still went the N/a.

i have a 95 model series 1.5 r33 and its a great car, looks good, resonable power and is not too bad on fuel.

Its just stupid to get a turbo skyline for your first car because odds are youll crash it real quick and wont have the insurance to cover it.

Learn to drive good then upgrade when your off your P's.

im from W.A so we dont have those restrictions laws but i still went the N/a.

i have a 95 model series 1.5 r33 and its a great car, looks good, resonable power and is not too bad on fuel.

Its just stupid to get a turbo skyline for your first car because odds are youll crash it real quick and wont have the insurance to cover it.

Learn to drive good then upgrade when your off your P's.

Well said mate!

.. Im trying to push this onto the forced induction section of the forums too..

For a P plater you hadve a fair few good NA options:

NA S13/180

R31/VL

MX5 (1.8L)

KE70 'rolla

3L NA Supra (older model MA70 (??)) (heavy and ugly but good tunability options)

All good cars with excelent tunability options..

And all go arse out.. :nyaanyaa:

we need thread for 'sleeper' mods, mods a cop wouldnt pick up on.

i'd say, max reground cams, (255deg, 8.mm lift), cam gears, high flow panel filter (keep air box), headwork (light shave - for ~ .5 - 1 CR, p&p, thin head gasket) stock exhaust & headers, ignition timing, powerfc and tune, etc) for a few k$ you can have a pretty responsive stocker with a bit of punch (as quick as a gtst) and it will look standard :nyaanyaa:.

with the stock exhaust, a good tune, vct setup correctly it will idle normal, sound quiet, and go hard ;)