SAU Community

URGENT: Installing Stock Boost Solenoid

just rewmoved my bleed valve and need to go back to stock boost so i can drive the car... i have one hose coming from what is a pipe underneath my intercooler piping on the left side of the engine (facing the car's front end)... one from the intercooler piping itself and on form the turbo's actuator (i think that what the gold drum thingy is)

and i have the stock boost solenoid which has two connectors and electrical wires coming from it.. so where does each tube go.. dont want no overboostin lol

Guest RedLineGTR

i'll try and get some shots during the day and i'll get some pipes out of the way. Sorry if i can be too much help now.

cheers...yup that helps lots. Is useful i think for others too who might not know what it is ;)

Are those wires blue w/ white stripe and white? I have an orphan plug sitting around, just wondering whether its the same one. Does it require power or is it fully neumatic?

Guest RedLineGTR

looks like grey and white but i'll see if there are any stripes or anything on em....too cold...and raining cbf to go to the garage.

hmmm.. well i have the solenoid in place.. From those photos it appears the bottom hose from the solenoid is going to the wastegate, where as the top hose is to the throttle intake? So all should be fine right?

Unfortunately its not, when i connected it like that infinite boost..it just kept going up and up until about 12psi till i backed it off ;)

There is also a blocked outlet on my (stock) BOV return pipe where it goes back to the turbo, so maybe the top hose is meant to go there? Although the pressure should be pretty much the same shoudlnt' it and make little difference?

I mean i can "cheat" and just connect the intake direct to the wastegate and it will hold correct boost (which i'm doing for running around) but its for an EPA so the solenoid needs to be connected (i think?)

Anybody ?? Quicksmart? if anybody has a standard boost solenoid can they jump out to their car and have a close look plz?

Guest RedLineGTR

here is the last pic if you dont know what wires go where then i dont know...Look at my full skic diagram..

Hi,

The bottom line on the solenoid goes to the T piece that in turn goes to the wastegate actuator (where your bleed valve probably is).

The top line on the solenoid goes back off into the BOV return line. As I recall, it's under the air piping that leads into the turbo inlet.

The striped wire (to the right of the plug) is a constand 13.5 volts

The solid colour wire (the left of the plug) is a negative trigger controlled by the ECU to open the solenoid.

The solenoid is fully electric.

line goes from high pressure side of the intercooler to the waste gate, then a "t" piece, the "T" peice runs a hose the the boost control solenoid, then from there to the hose that runs from the standard BOV to the low pressure side, (between turbo and AFM).

ok.. well i got it all sorted the other night..the key is the t-piece between the intake side and the wastegate - the stock solenoid hangs off that, and its different to my EBC configuration where it sits in between. Now rises to a solid 7psi

In the aid of providing a useful resource, i've posted a couple of pix of how I installed it

All was inspected and passed by the EPA correctly :D