SAU Community

Q45 Or Z32 Which Is Better

hi guys

anyone used both a q45 and a z32? curious to know which is better in terms of tuning capabilities, i would have thought the q45 was better as its bigger although i have notice most people tend to go for the z32s, any reason why?

thanks

Justin

My understanding is that the Q45 is very difficult to tune with (thus people use the Z32)

With brand new Z32's being only $300, that's what I'd stick with :)

Greg

hi Greg,

ive been looking at the prices of these and compairing them. main reson for starting this thread, as the q45 is larger i thought it would have been better(that is if you changed all your pipes to the larger diameter), anyway i have seen the (secondhand)q45 afm for as cheap as US$50+postage, where as i have not seen a secondhand z32 afm go for under AUS$180+postage. so the z32 are def more popular.

i thought they had the same voltage reading capabilities, only difference being one bigger than the other....guess i was wrong. (can anyone confirm this?)

would like to hear from ppl who have a q45afm setup on there car and have experienced it first hand being difficult to tune with.

thanks

Justin

hi Greg,

ive been looking at the prices of these and compairing them. main reson for starting this thread, as the q45 is larger i thought it would have been better(that is if you changed all your pipes to the larger diameter), anyway i have seen the (secondhand)q45 afm for as cheap as US$50+postage, where as i have not seen a secondhand z32 afm go for under AUS$180+postage. so the z32 are def more popular.

i thought they had the same voltage reading capabilities, only difference being one bigger than the other....guess i was wrong. (can anyone confirm this?)

would like to hear from ppl who have a q45afm setup on there car and have experienced it first hand being difficult to tune with.

thanks

Justin

I've also seen the cost of the Q45's in the US (bugger all)

I talked to a tuner here and he told me of the AFM's having tuning problems, thus I didn't use one.

I'd also love to hear from other people with personal experiences.

Greg

q45 afms and throttle body's are both bigger than the z32 versions and thus you can pump more power from them

On the afm side of things, the only reason why q45's "might" be seen as harder to tune is that although it can flow more and read more air, it can also have difficulties picking up readings in the lower areas. For example, on lower capacity cars (i.e 2L) when crusing theres not always enough airflow going through such a big afm to send the correct signal and can sometimes cause problems. On a 2.5L or 3L, it should be fine. I will be running a q45 on my rb30det

• 4 months later...
sorry to pick an old thread up.

does the q45 directly bolts on to rb25det neo?

are you talking about air flow meter or throttle body?

if afm NO you will have to increase the size of your intercooler pipes (or get silicon adaptors to suit the bigger size)

if throttle body NO you will have to get an adaptor unles you have an aftermarket plenum chamber, greddy plenum for example.

thanks

Justin