SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Starting Issues

Basicly every now and then our car decides it's not going to start and it just cranks n cranks n cranks and we always end up having to clutch start it. And when the car does start it will blow alot of fuel smoke, coughs and splutters, fuel smoke dies off after about 5 seconds.

Thing is this happens if its wet, dry, if the engine is cold, hot, if it's been driven normally, or if u give it a little boot, small trips, long trips, its ultra random.

We have so far tried a couple of things. We unplugged the injectors and the car turned over and ran untill it ran out of fuel. We had our injectors checked and cleaned about 4 months ago, flowed fine, no drips.

We got a new battery so it's not that...and we have it serviced reguarly.

Basicly wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

Basicly every now and then our car decides it's not going to start and it just cranks n cranks n cranks and we always end up having to clutch start it. And when the car does start it will blow alot of fuel smoke, coughs and splutters, fuel smoke dies off after about 5 seconds.

Thing is this happens if its wet, dry, if the engine is cold, hot, if it's been driven normally, or if u give it a little boot, small trips, long trips, its ultra random.

We have so far tried a couple of things. We unplugged the injectors and the car turned over and ran untill it ran out of fuel. We had our injectors checked and cleaned about 4 months ago, flowed fine, no drips.

We got a new battery so it's not that...and we have it serviced reguarly.

Basicly wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

hi there socko you will need to check the fuel pressure regulator to see if diapham has a hole in it which causes the fuel pressure in the rail to bleed back into the mainifold and flood the engine when you try to start it . the easiest way to do this is to pull off the vacuum line that goes to the pressure reg and see if it has fuel in it Try that first and let me know thanks mate

Edited by SMICK4D

Ok that's worth checking n I will get Adrian to check that when he gets home from work. Because it is getting to much fuel when it's doing it...But wouldn't that cause it to do it all the time? The car only does it randomly...Altho it is starting to do it more often...

Edited by Socko

My rb25 does exactly the same thing but all the time. Its rare that it starts straight away. Receipts i got with the car show like 4 new batteries so thats not it. Always starts eventually but cranks for like a good 10secs. Checked the FPR hose and is dry but that was bout 15mins after turning off the car. Should i check when turning on the car or will it make no difference? Any help appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

We went to a guy yesterday and he plugged our car up to the computer and it ended up being the water temp sensor.

Basicly the water temp sensor was sending the cars computer the wrong singal which lead to it thinking it was cold all the time. So off course it kept putting more fuel into the engine than it needed and it was flooding it's self. Which explains the problem starting it and the problem while driving it.

So it's all good now :)