SAU Community

Speedo Reading Out

elad_33

Hey guys ever since I've had the car the speedo has always been 10kms out....So if I was doing 100 it would read 90, if I was doing 110 it would say 100 and so on.

I've got brand new standard size tyres, rims etc so its not that...It has recently had a digital speed/speed limit remover put on and that says the correct speed...So I know that the speed sensor is working, the ecu is sending the right signal (because the digital speedo one is spot on) so the only thing I can think of is the dash speedo is out (I dont want the digital one there once the cluster is working again)...Is there any way that I can take the needle off and fix it or do I need a new cluster ??

Also when the foglights come on there is a lil green light in the top left corner of the cluster that comes on, I dont think its standard, I took it out, Would that make any difference to the speedo reading, like taking power away from it or something ?

Thank you for reading

post-36458-1203390423_thumb.jpg post-36458-1203390434_thumb.jpg post-36458-1203390448_thumb.jpg

lol definitely not a standard dash light :/

as for your speedo issue i really cant help but there are plenty of companies who specialize in automotive gauge repair. I can't for the life of me remember the company I went to a couple years ago... but they were conveniently located opposite a VDO warehouse.

take the front of the black housing off of the cluster... it will clip off... take off the needle stop on the km/h part... (you will need to take off the black plate with the speeds off.)

to do that, remove the needle very carefully. generally turn as far as you can clockwise untill the needle stops (at this point mark where the needle point stops), and then a bit more and pull up as you do that... rotate back anti-clockwise as far as you can untill the needle stops and pull up again... doing this a few times should take it off... (well it worked for me)

now remove the black plate with the speeds on it... its glued on so using a sharp long knife slide inbetween the plate and the clear plastic it sits on and remove... once you have this in ur hands, take off the needle stop... i used some pliers and patience and it comes out...

put the black plate on and the needle (BUT NOT THE NEEDLE STOP!) adjust the needle to line up with the line you marked before... once the needle lines back up the way it did before, rotate the needle past this point a little bit more... put it back in the car without the needle stop in place or the plastic cover on and take it for a drive and adjust accordingly... once happy... replace the needle stop and put back 2gether...

i think thats just about it... there is probably an easier way n i dnt no of it...

as for the green led... looks like a home job 2 me... i have no idea... probably like u said... to let you know if ur fog lights are on... lol

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated

I just cant for the life of me figure out what made it go 10kms out unless when the moron that put the green light in dropped it or something. I'll give your idea a go when I get some time, few more things to do to the beast yet.

But yeah the only reason I can see it being out of sync is if someone has bumped it or something.

Thanks.

I only turn my fog lights on when there is actual thick fog and doing more than 40km/h is dangerous.

So the fog light indicator is best used for reminding yourself to turn the f**king things off in normal traffic.