SAU Community

Bosch 044 Fuel Pump

Guest Depak

if you dont mind ......... may i ask how come u are sellin that fuel pump for $300... how much did u get the pump for?

adam 32 - I know the 044 is overkill with a lightly modded R33 (fmic, pod, 3" turbo back exhaust and running 10 psi) are there any dramas with having an overly powerful pump? When my car was dyno'd when I upped the boost it went from 155 rwkw at 7psi to only 160 at 10psi - I got about 10% more torque across the board but my power ramp just flattened after 5500rpm, it was also running lean at that stage. I was told this was because the fuel pump was at it's limit but I thought I should've gotten a little more out of the stock pump? If I need a new pump I'll have to do it more for fear of detonation than more power. So if you could give us your opinion on my situation I'd appreciate it. If the 044 won't be too high pressure then I'll grab yours no worries. Cheers man, Max

I mounted my 044 pump internally on my lightly mod'd R33 (14psi with all the usual gear) the other day and there are no dramas. The stock regulator copes admirably and I can barely hear the pump from inside the car or outside. My Commodore's stock fuel pump was much louder, but i think that was externally-mounted.

The only thing I've been advised of is that because of the increased pressure, a re-tune of your mixture is a good idea because it's run a bit richer. I'm getting my S-AFC done tomorrow.

Btw, good luck with mounting it if you want to DIY. It was a major pain in the arse for me, but then I've never attempted anything like this before.

The regulator *could* be a problem, but a new one is $200, and a bigger fuel pump isn't much more. If you go the Walbro pump (which isn't as good as a Bosch but should be a bit better than a tired old factory one) then it'll be under $200.

Upgrading your fuel pump is a much better option than upgrading your regulator. If your old pump isn't flowing enough you could seal the other end of the fuel line with a bolt and you still wouldn't have enough pressure at full throttle.

I don't think you can re-tune your R33 without a replacement ECU or piggyback item like the S-AFC. The factory ECU will re-learn its mixture curve, but it will just stay a little too rich.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...