SAU Community

Drifting Mods

Nate

I have a R31 which is pretty stockish, just with the usual exhaust/pod/timing mods.. and wanted to know where to start modifying so i can slide better. I can power over in the dry quite easily, and its not a power slide action either, mainly due to the rear left tyre being 20% tread, and the rear right spinning, and the fronts are 205/55/15 pirelli p6000's.. it is an auto, but 2nd gear is great, it doesnt kick down like most cars, so i can just leave it in that gear and go sideways, its nuts in the wet :D

Pretty much, what i was thinking of getting was a spooled diff.. the only downside of this is that it is illegal.. also, i think 14's on the back would make it slide alot more/easier, but would it stuff up the suspension balance or something due to the tyre sizes? I want to be able to control the bloody thing, not just rocket sideways round a corner and end up in grandmas front rose garden. Stiffer springs are next on the agenda, sometime..

• 2 weeks later...

hey Nate good to see another 31 owner wanting to drift

good suspension is a must as it cuts down bodyroll

my LSD is now single spinning so i am thinking of getting a 'Lokka'

hopefully will help with the drift.

also more power will definantly make it easier.

hopefully have a turbo in 2 weeks so i'll tell you how i go.

also having a manual would help you a lot. as you could then drop the clutch just before corner to get the wheels spinning nicely.

Well here's another R31 owner wanting to dorift ;)

Looks like we got a little group forming here lol..

My car's stock atm, so can't do too much in the dry - but the wet is beautiful!

I'll be doing some mods soon (just better CAI, Full Exhuast, Timing and maybe computer) so that should be awesome.

I'm also thinking about getting one of the Lokka diffs too..

Check it out here, if you haven't already

http://www.r31skylineclub.com/forum/index....y;threadid=3455

I might miss out on this group buy which is unfortunate but money's tight, so will have to wait and see. But I would love to buy one at a later date.

I'm going to buy some stock R31 Rims and chuck some 185's on 'em and have 'em at the back when I wanna have some fun (on my uncle's private property "of course") hehe.. to make it that bit easier to kick it out - as it's also auto (manual conversion one day, just need the dosh) but yeah, suspension one of the first things too, although it's already a bit hard (harder than stock) but not as hard as I would like.

But yeah would love to keep this going with updates guys :D

well i am the happiest man alive today.

;)

just got told my turbo will be going in this weekend. i cant WAIT or SLEEP !

anyway i have 17's on my car and find drifting in the dry a little hard with the amount of power the 31 puts out but in the wet its unreal.

Keep this thread going guys.

:burnout:

:D

yeh the live axle makes for fun drifting and makes for more direct drifting

don't think drifting on 17s is a problem but damn tyres would be getting expensive!

why not get your LSD fixed? surely the clutches are just worn or something

Stiff suspension and LSD are must mods for drift...

A Harness helps you so you don't lean in your seat and pull on the steering wheel wrongly...

When I get my diff fixed I should be filming some good old school R30 drift....

Gonna be fun ;)

yeah tyres r pretty expensive but i get them second hand for $75 each for hard profile which isn't too bad.

i reckon a harness or new seat would definantly be benefitial as i find myself leaning into the center of the car all the time which makes wrong steering easier to do.

i'm thinking of getting the mechanical lokka because i am in the search for power and i figure drifting and power will mean the stock lsd's would die real quick. the lokka i'm looking at is good for quite large power.

me and my mates film 1/3 of our weekly drift sessions and we have over 1.5 hours on tape at the moment.

a couple of crashes too.

keep up the good work guys.

You need - lower stiffer springs.

Good shocks. Monroes are NOT good shocks. Im talking Koni.

Swaybars help.

Strut brace.

Adjustable strut tops.

16's (at least, and with as much offset as you can realistically get)

To do it properly.

I have all the above, sits a bit high but thats not a real drama.

It has an open diff. LSD is a must have. (yes it drifts great on the skidpan but in reality its total crap)

hey guy im in the same situation as all you guys my r31 is stock but my lsd blew just after i got my car and i just put a normal diff in coz i could get one cheap (i haddent discovered drift yet) and now i am needing one do any of you know about how much money im up for?

my wheels r 16x225x50 there good for drift in the wet but in the dry i have some 15x205x60 that i use but its still hard coz of the diff though.

Go to a track or skidpan.

Trust me, it will end in disaster if you try to drift on the road, ESPECIALLY in a 31. Mine should be stiffer for drift!

They are dangerous things when abused and stock/semi stock, the 31's. Dont try it unless you put some REAL $, and do it on the track.

yeah, drifting on public roads are the craziest thing you can do :D three days ago i hit a wall on my R33 when going through the turn... i went that turn hell alot of times already, but that day something happened - don't remember what, but the car suddenly started to go left and right (rear)... guess i pushed the accel too hard. :) now it will cost me about $600 to repair everything..

Hmmm..my recommendation is to not try and drift on public roads if u've got 17' inch rims cuz u wont be happy when you have to pay to get em fixed., cuz maximum curbage will happen!

Im running 16's at the moment and they seem pretty good. Ive got a vid (on my VCR unfortunately) of me powersliding/drifting out of a corner doing bout 70km/h, one time doing it perfectly, and another time running straight off the road. THe result of my f**king up??? Not one scratch!!! Not even a scratch on my rims!

Hmmmmm...ill see if i can get a video capture card to copy it to my PC to show ya what i mean. If ur on public roads, scope out ur location first and make sure there is minimal risk if u lose it, and dont do it near homes. Maybe a new area under development or a industrial area would be good. :) , Not that i condone illegal dorifting :)

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by slip

Go to a track or skidpan.  

Trust me, it will end in disaster if you try to drift on the road, ESPECIALLY in a 31.  Mine should be stiffer for drift!

They are dangerous things when abused and stock/semi stock, the 31's.  Dont try it unless you put some REAL $, and do it on the track.

That is so very true. My car seems low, but its just the 20 year old saggy suspension... I can really only drift around double lane roundabouts properly controlling it at a really sharp drift angle. I have 205/55/15's on the front and 205/65/15's on the rear. The lower the profile, the easier it is to drift.

Im loving the recent rain in Perth :) Except ive just killed the rear axle yesterday, and wont be driving for a few weeks. :) Welded pinny (4.111:1 ratio) is going in. And new rear suspension. Then we will see how she goes :P

first thing you can do is tires. if you can TRY to get ADVAN Neova's that tire has been made specificly for drifting!!! (all D1GP drivers use them.) then get new/stiff suspention for a Skyline try to get a K's Office suspention (perfect for drifting as they are made by the "Drift King" Tshuciya's company) and also a shinny new LSD :)