SAU Community

Insurance

Phatboy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is an exception I got in trouble because of it.. kinda cut a guy off to avoid another accident.. was plenty of room to merge infront of him but cause he was travelling faster than I was and failed to brake (was talking on his mobile but I couldnt prove it) he hit me in the ass.. but I was at fault..

Shannons all the way. By calling them you will find a number of things out and the employees are actually interested in the car. E.g On the website, they dont insure under 25 yet my g/f has had insurance with them in her own name since 23. I don't believe the website accomodates for shared basement garages (apartment ones) yet as long as it is locked and security gated, they are happy with it.

Definately give them a call though. The only problem I had, at the end of my first year, the premium went up by $200 and I am Rating 1 protected with no claims. They put it down to the car and other claims in my postcode but wouldnt budge on price, even though I told them I would take all my business elsewhere. I also have my house contents insurance with so get a multi policy discount. They were much cheaper than RACV so managed to offset the cost increase on the car with the contents.

Hi guys

Just wanting to know what other people's impression of this is.

Does any defectable item eg., turbo timer automatically make you unroadworthy?

Because what gives because, your car insurance knows about these defectable items and is insuring your car with this knowledge. But as someone said, there are those clauses saying if your car has a modification that makes it unrowadworthy you will not be covered??

Hi guys

Because what gives because, your car insurance knows about these defectable items and is insuring your car with this knowledge. But as someone said, there are those clauses saying if your car has a modification that makes it unrowadworthy you will not be covered??

i hope not!

but i remember seeing someone write that if it is unknown to you and can't be noticed or something that you can still get paid out... but if it's known then they reject your claim'?? not 100% just saw it posted somewhere on here.

Hi guys

I'm a 23 year old female with a Rating 1, I've got an R34 GT-T (no extensive mods) insured for $1200 and an N15 Pulsar (with very extensive mods) insured for $1100 both Full Comp with Shannons. Excess is $900 on either car. They will insure every mod on the car (regardless of legality, provided it isn't unsafe and doesn't cause an accident.) On my Pulsar they insure my turbo upgrade, 3 induction mods, boost controller, coilovers...the list goes on. They will happily cover anything on the car. I also have the 'Total Loss Salvage' option so if anything were to happen and it was written off I'd keep the car at no charge (minus excess, of course.) They insure both cars for a reasonable amount.

And that's good...considering I can't garage either car and I'm under 25. If you prove you're a car enthusiast they'll be interested in insuring you. It also depends on who you speak to. I now have a rep who emails me to make sure everything's okay and update. It's nice. On the other hand my partner is 24 with a Rating 1 and they won't insure his S15...

I wouldn't touch Just Cars again, was only with them as long as I could hold out for insurance elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice llama.

Was just reading JCI's policy:

We will not cover:

Loss or damage caused by any war, warlike activities or revolution,

including any looting or pillaging.

Loss or damage directly or indirectly caused by, arising from, or connected

with: the use, misuse or existence of nuclear weapons.

:blink:

Thanks for the advice llama.

Was just reading JCI's policy:

We will not cover:

Loss or damage caused by any war, warlike activities or revolution,

including any looting or pillaging.

Loss or damage directly or indirectly caused by, arising from, or connected

with: the use, misuse or existence of nuclear weapons.

:)

warlike activities :D

1171199-Rambo-Penticton.jpg

a big +1 for shannons, I switched to them from Just Car when I was 21 with my WRX. Slightly more expensive than JCI but saved a shitload on excess and added a windscreen per year.

When i bought the GT-R I shopped around, GIO Custom were way out of the ballpark, JCI were pretty good but Shannons had the best overall package again. Highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

Godammit, Shannon's won't insure me. Say I have to be more of a car enthusiast??! wtf? Like taking my car to car shows, having CAMS licence, being part of more car clubs. I thought insurance companies didn't want these things. Maybe it has to do with the fact that 2001 GTR I'm buying will be my first decent sportscar.

JCI was cool, $1500 premium, $500 excess, so I will go with them. I notice that they require an Australian standard immobiliser to be fitted for theft cover. The car has an alarm and immobiliser, but I'm not sure what kind, and the paperwork has long since been lost. How do I prove that it meets the Australian standard?

Also, has anyone had any problems with JCI reducing/deny their payout due to illegal mods like having a PowerFC or turbo timer? I asked JCI and they said they could reduce payouts, even if the mod is listed in the policy, because they have that clause saying if any of the mods are illegal then they can do it.

Godammit, Shannon's won't insure me. Say I have to be more of a car enthusiast??! wtf? Like taking my car to car shows, having CAMS licence, being part of more car clubs. I thought insurance companies didn't want these things. Maybe it has to do with the fact that 2001 GTR I'm buying will be my first decent sportscar.

JCI was cool, $1500 premium, $500 excess, so I will go with them. I notice that they require an Australian standard immobiliser to be fitted for theft cover. The car has an alarm and immobiliser, but I'm not sure what kind, and the paperwork has long since been lost. How do I prove that it meets the Australian standard?

Also, has anyone had any problems with JCI reducing/deny their payout due to illegal mods like having a PowerFC or turbo timer? I asked JCI and they said they could reduce payouts, even if the mod is listed in the policy, because they have that clause saying if any of the mods are illegal then they can do it.

They'll look kindly on you if you're an SAU Vic member....CAMS affiliated club etc...their premium will more than likely be cheaper than JCI's (not too mention superior cover) which will more than offset the cost of your membership.

They'll look kindly on you if you're an SAU Vic member....CAMS affiliated club etc...their premium will more than likely be cheaper than JCI's (not too mention superior cover) which will more than offset the cost of your membership.

On that note, what sort of difference do you typically see if you are car club member? I'm about to be insuring my V35 and will be looking at a few of these soon.

Has anyone dealt with Lumley Special?

Unfortunately Dezz, even after I told them I would be part of SAU, Shannons said no.

Oh well, JCI for me then. Just hope they insure all mods regardless of legality like Shannons do....

I want to keep my Power FC + Turbo Timer!