SAU Community

Dramas With Gtr

hi ppl..

i noticed this problem when i was stretching 3gear today...dont know what it is but in 3rd gear on full throttle my turbo seems to be boosting and not boosting all at the same time... very hard to explain.. but almost feels like someone is holding the car back and letting it go holding it back and letting it go.. whilst driving...

has anybody experienced this before..

im worried

hard to say with that description. Weird that it's only in third.

I'd be checking simple things like plugs for starters. Pull the plugs & have a look at 'em replace any suspect ones, or all of 'em if they haven't been done in a while, if oily or cooked then look further. Probably only something simple... You may be surprised how a fouled plug can make the GTR do some very odd things...

Compressor surge maybe... does it sound like the boost is surging? I've had a similar problem. Mine started in third gear only and now its doing it in second as well.. I've had it tuned out before (PowerFC), but it came back.. I havent worked out whats causing it even to this day.

Mine only happens between 4000 and about 5500rpm. Do you get the same sensation of it only happening between certain RPM?

Ignition problems will give you a farting popping noise out the exhaust. Do you hear this at all?

I changed my sparkies and installed splitfire coilpacks and it made no difference to my surging problem - fixed the ignition misfire though :blink:

My guess would be fuel pump as well, given that it's not happening in the first gear. i've had this with my other car where fuel pump was tested and working, However the flow rate was wrong and once the new pump went in it was OK.

Could also be something to do with you turbo comp. surge like Primordial said.

my 2 cents

Good luck :blink:

hey guys.. yeah come to think about it i do hear a fair bit of backfire from my exhuast.. but i thought this was normal. ???

coming back to this mucking around with the boost n all.. mine happens after about 5500 rpm onwards all the way to 8000... dont know what is causing it.. dont think its the plugs,they look fine... might get someone to look at it this w.end..

hey guys.. yeah come to think about it i do hear a fair bit of backfire from my exhuast.. but i thought this was normal. ???

coming back to this mucking around with the boost n all.. mine happens after about 5500 rpm onwards all the way to 8000... dont know what is causing it.. dont think its the plugs,they look fine... might get someone to look at it this w.end..

are you tlaking about backfire when backing off the accelerator or while accelerating? they are two very different things... :(

are you tlaking about backfire when backing off the accelerator or while accelerating? they are two very different things... :(

A little backfire when backing off the accelerator is ok isn't it? Happens sometimes on my car but I was assuming its normal.

A little backfire when backing off the accelerator is ok isn't it? Happens sometimes on my car but I was assuming its normal.

Yeah it'll happen when your car is running rich... a little bit rich is ok. Also when your cat gets a bit older it can cause backfiring. Nothing to much to worry about really, apart from the fact that you'll probably fail an emissions test if you get defected :(