SAU Community

Pod vs panel filter

Jaxe

Since pod filters are illegal unless enclosed, how would a good panel filter (such as K&N) compare with a pod? I can't see the panel filter allowing anywhere near as much airflow.

Also, should I just go ahead and put a pod filter in my '89 celica? It's not like I'm gonna get pulled over and inspected right?

Good panel filters, K&N, redline and the likes are very close to as good as a pod.

i persoanlly prefer a pod cause of the noise which some think is too ricey.

dont really know squat about celicas turbo or not buy if its not turbo it wont make a noise and wont attract the cops as much, i had a pod on my old NA car and it didnt make a noise so you should be sweet

yer cold air #1....

u can get proper boxed made for the pods unique autosports have them but obviously they would cost a bit but id say it would be better than a pannel, i got a cover round mine mainly just a temprary one i used out of heat proof aluminium jus to pass my defect, only cost me 15 bucks to do untill i get the money for a carbon air box

cheers....

www.freewebs.com/2BNVS_r33

honestly, how can you seriously measure a device like this on a dyno. Is a dyno fan providing anything like normal airflow. How many of you drive around with the bonnet up?

personally, I have to go for the pod because the stock box won't work with a fmic... otherwise, it would be a panel all the way - hopefully with an aftermarket induction setup (or a ghetto DIY setup at worst).

Originally posted by Jimbo2000

so are the UAS ones legal?

i am thinking of getting one.

another workshop near there make a SERIOUS one for like 500

I'm pretty sure they're legal, I've never seen an air box which has some sort of ADR approval stamp or sticker on it like brake lines for example.

The other workshop wouldn't be Hills Motorsports would it? ;) Their box is made from aluminium and seals better than the UAS one. At the cost you mentioned though it's really only worthwhile if you have lots of money to burn. I got the cheaper fibreglass one from UAS for around $160 I think. It does the job well enough.

This whole air-filter business is really quite amusing.

Normal atmospheric pressure is around 410 inches of water gauge pressure, so if your stock air filter has say 4 inches of water pressure drop at full power, you are seeing (406/410) or 99% atmospheric pressure after the air-filter.

So you fit some monstrous expensive aftermarket air filter box or pod, that is advertised as having guaranteed TWICE the airflow of the stock filter. So you fit it, and sure enough there is now only two inches of water pressure drop at full power. There is now 408/410) or 99.5% atmospheric pressure. So expect an 0.5% power gain.

A far more important consideration is air temperature. Air density works from absolute temperature (the Kelvin scale). To convert Celsius to Kelvin you add 273. So 27C equals 300K.

So for every three degrees of temperature rise, you loose one percent in air density, which equates to roughly one percent power.

So your new super air filter has about the same effect on power as lowering the intake air temperature about 1.5 degrees.

So use whatever type of air-filter you want, or is convenient, and concentrate on getting the coldest possible inlet air. There are far greater gains to be had that way.

But a lot of guys prefer a brightly coloured chrome pod right behind the radiator, because it looks nice when you open the bonnet.

On the other hand a stock air-box with partially concealed cold air pickup behind the front bumper, will probably work far better and keep the cops happy as well.

Stick with the panel filter.

They are good enough for the 600HP Mine's factory GTR's.

I run one and it is no restriction to good times or power at all.

Don't mess about with the airfilter stuff too much the gains are tiny.

I ran mine on the dyno when it was making 164rwkw with a pod and with the stock air box & stock new filter.

They both made exactly the same power.

Both were run with the bonnet open.

Since then I've modded my standard airbox. It now has a 100mm CAI using PVC piping with a 45degree bend that enters the air box where the standard small arsed cai was. I've grabbed my self some plastic and a bit of superglue & silicon to old it all to get her and make it look flush. Pop the bonnet and it looks stock. Everything is black and unless you really know something about skylines you wouldn't pick it.

It has made the bov and induction/turbo whistle heaps louder.

It should now be ok for the 450-500hp that I am chasing :P