SAU Community

New Clutch = Wow

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a bit :D

About a week ago I ordered a new clutch kit from the US, and finally got around to installing it yesterday.

The verdict - WOW

I can't believe how much more pull the car now has. My stock clutch was doing fine and not slipping at all, but it was getting on.

I was considering a few different brands, and in the end went with the JWT kit.

Consisted of

JWT Clucth

JWT Lightened Flywheel

Stainless Steel braided clutch line

Chromoly clutch pivot ball

Nismo roller bearing

The end result is a much much better feel when driving. The lightened flywheel is a tiny bit noiser than stock, but it definately gets the car reving faster. It just feels like it has so much more oomph than it did before. Still haven't given it a hard workout as I want to put a few more k's on it first.

As a bonus, the apprentice at my mates workshop drained my tranny fluid by mistake so this was replaced as well with Redline MTL :-)

Jas - sort of, haven't really had any decent hills as such, but it feels like that across the board. In every gear, a stab at the throttle and it jsut moves!

GEXer - definately smoother. Especially first to second. Not sure why this is, could be cause the old clutch was as i said getting on, but with the new one, all gears move in and out smoother.

The rattle is there when idling and when in the low rpm range. For example if I'm lazy and go around a corner slowly in 3rd in stead of changing down to 2nd, you definately hear the rattle until you get back up to around 2200rpm. Nothing while cruising though.

Jas - sort of, haven't really had any decent hills as such, but it feels like that across the board. In every gear, a stab at the throttle and it jsut moves!

GEXer - definately smoother. Especially first to second. Not sure why this is, could be cause the old clutch was as i said getting on, but with the new one, all gears move in and out smoother.

The rattle is there when idling and when in the low rpm range. For example if I'm lazy and go around a corner slowly in 3rd in stead of changing down to 2nd, you definately hear the rattle until you get back up to around 2200rpm. Nothing while cruising though.

A bit of rattle is a small price to pay... Sounds like it was well worth it.

What sort of cost was it??

A bit of rattle is a small price to pay... Sounds like it was well worth it.

What sort of cost was it??

To me definately was Micah. The rattle takes away a bit of the "luxury" car feel, but to me the car was never a "luxury" car in the first place. Feels more "brutal" now :down:

All up installed it cost me $1200. Which is pretty good. Any local options would have cost around that much before install.

The exedy I was looking at was over $1200 for just the clutch and flywheel and would have come to over $1500 with the rest and install.

To me definately was Micah. The rattle takes away a bit of the "luxury" car feel, but to me the car was never a "luxury" car in the first place. Feels more "brutal" now :down:

All up installed it cost me $1200. Which is pretty good. Any local options would have cost around that much before install.

The exedy I was looking at was over $1200 for just the clutch and flywheel and would have come to over $1500 with the rest and install.

That's fantastic: I just paid trade price of $1600 for a clutch for the stag, and that's supply only... And I know what you mean: my stagea is by no means an easy car to live with: definitely no longer a family wagon! :(

Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd share a bit :down:

About a week ago I ordered a new clutch kit from the US, and finally got around to installing it yesterday.

The verdict - WOW

I can't believe how much more pull the car now has. My stock clutch was doing fine and not slipping at all, but it was getting on.

I was considering a few different brands, and in the end went with the JWT kit.

Consisted of

JWT Clucth

JWT Lightened Flywheel

Stainless Steel braided clutch line

Chromoly clutch pivot ball

Nismo roller bearing

The end result is a much much better feel when driving. The lightened flywheel is a tiny bit noiser than stock, but it definately gets the car reving faster. It just feels like it has so much more oomph than it did before. Still haven't given it a hard workout as I want to put a few more k's on it first.

As a bonus, the apprentice at my mates workshop drained my tranny fluid by mistake so this was replaced as well with Redline MTL :-)

Great, thanks for sharing that. Was the install straightforward - no mods required?

I've always wondered about the tranny on the V35, 1st to 2nd has always been iffy although not a huge problem once you get used to it. I don't know if it's the same with the Z350. How's the clutch, it is 'softer' now and easier to modulate?

Great, thanks for sharing that. Was the install straightforward - no mods required?

I've always wondered about the tranny on the V35, 1st to 2nd has always been iffy although not a huge problem once you get used to it. I don't know if it's the same with the Z350. How's the clutch, it is 'softer' now and easier to modulate?

definately straight foward install. The kit fits V35's and 350z's with no problems. (I bought it from a 350z site)

The pedal is softerish when you just press it but while driving and changing gears it feels more sturdy. The take up is much much lower as well. Manual guys will know the V35 stock clutch engages quite high.

Thinking about sourcing this clutch/flywheel combo as well.

I'm looking for a new clutch, since I broke my gearbox, and I was considering a Nismo twin plate Coppermix. Unfortunately the cost is extremely high, as you can imagine, and as I have no goals (or funding) to go forced induction I doubt I need it.

My JUN flywheel rattles like a bitch so I'm not fussed about the noise. How do you find the pedal feel and action? I need to decide on a clutch/flywheel combo soon, so I look forward to hearing about yours.

Thinking about sourcing this clutch/flywheel combo as well.

I'm looking for a new clutch, since I broke my gearbox, and I was considering a Nismo twin plate Coppermix. Unfortunately the cost is extremely high, as you can imagine, and as I have no goals (or funding) to go forced induction I doubt I need it.

My JUN flywheel rattles like a bitch so I'm not fussed about the noise. How do you find the pedal feel and action? I need to decide on a clutch/flywheel combo soon, so I look forward to hearing about yours.

Hey Alan,

The pedal feels softer than stock, but the take up is much lower. On the stock V35 clutch you would letting the pedal out for 1/2 hour before it engaged, where as with JWT it's pretty much immediately. At the same time I haven't given it a decent workout as yet, as wanted to put a few more k's on it.

Where abouts in Syd are you? If we can organise a time, happy for you to check it out.

If you dont mind and your in sydney PM me the mechanic who installed all of it for $300?

Hey mate,

The guy who installed it is a mate who has is own gearbox shop in Ingleburn. That price was of course mates rates so not sure what his price to the public would be.

Let me know if you still want some details but pretty sure it wont be $300.

cheers

Bobby

Where abouts in Syd are you? If we can organise a time, happy for you to check it out.

Inner city these days.

The car's going to Pro Concept tomorrow so they can drain the gearbox fluid and see what lumpy bits fall out. I'll need to have ordered a clutch within a day or two of that, once I work out what I'm doing.

My head says "Nismo twin plate Coppermix", my heart says "ATS twin plate carbon", but my wallet says "JWT single plate".

My head says "Nismo twin plate Coppermix", my heart says "ATS twin plate carbon", but my wallet says "JWT single plate".

Go with ur wallet mate :D , A lot of guys on g35driver recommends JWT. If u dont have plans for FI, then there no need to go higher than this...

$300 to install the clutch and flywheel is cheap, can u let us know what Pro Concept charges scathing?

Inner city these days.

The car's going to Pro Concept tomorrow so they can drain the gearbox fluid and see what lumpy bits fall out. I'll need to have ordered a clutch within a day or two of that, once I work out what I'm doing.

I'm no clutch expert, and as much as the JWT is an upgrade on stock, i don't think it's anywhere in the league of the other two. In my case, i went with a clutch for a daily driver and maybe 2 or so track days a year. I'm also still very much a track noob so i doubt i'll be pushing the car anywhere near as much as what you do, and no semis at this stage for me.

What about a decent single from Exedy? "Turbo Spares" in cabramatta has unbelievable prices on exedy clutch's, and can most of them in your hands in 24hrs.

I work in Macquarie park and go home towards liverpool, so if that crosses your path at all, let me know and you can check out the JWT.

How does a flywheel rattle? It's a solid piece of steel with a starter motor ring gear shrunk onto it. There isn't anything to rattle, unless the ring gear is loose or the flywheel bolts (to the crank) aren't tight. Either of which is a frightening thought. The pressure plate shouldn't rattle in a single plate clutch, the intermediate plates do that in a multiplate clutch, but there isn't any of them in a single plate. So that leaves the clutch plate itself, the generally only rattle if/when the springs wear loose. Again, not a good thought in a new clutch.

Personally I would be taking it back to whoever installed it and have them stop the rattle, whatever is causing it, as none of the options are particularly appealing for the life of the clutch.

Cheers

Gary

How does a flywheel rattle? It's a solid piece of steel with a starter motor ring gear shrunk onto it. There isn't anything to rattle, unless the ring gear is loose or the flywheel bolts (to the crank) aren't tight. Either of which is a frightening thought. The pressure plate shouldn't rattle in a single plate clutch, the intermediate plates do that in a multiplate clutch, but there isn't any of them in a single plate. So that leaves the clutch plate itself, the generally only rattle if/when the springs wear loose. Again, not a good thought in a new clutch.

Personally I would be taking it back to whoever installed it and have them stop the rattle, whatever is causing it, as none of the options are particularly appealing for the life of the clutch.

Cheers

Gary

Gary, I call it a rattle but it is also referred to as chatter. Should I still be concerned?

Nearly everyone, every post i have read re lightened flywheel, always has an element of "chatter/rattle". It's even there on the stock clutch to some degree.