SAU Community

Playstation 3 As A Dvd Player.

Bullet32

Ok so my DVD player recently decided that it wouldnt read any DVD's anymore, Im pretty sure its because it is about 3 or 4 years old now and the laser has crapped itself.

I hear that DVD players, CD players etc have a life of about 4 to 5 years (depending on how often you use them) because the laser eventually degrades to the point where it wont read anymore.

Firstly - Is this true?

Secondly - If I use my PS3 as my DVD player aswell as for playing games will it decrease the laser life significantly (I do watch a fair amount of DVD's) or am I being paranoid?

It is true they dont last forever, But fortunatly the Laser diodes can be easily replaced with a new one. No need to stress about playing DVD's on your PS3.

pfft i watched countless movies on my xbox 1 and got it on launch day it never had a single hiccup.

I would really reccommend a ps3 as a dvd/blu ray player they are really good.

However i dont know what its life span is, the ps2 sucked bad as a dvd player cause of a shitty laser. I would bet the ps3 would have learnt its mistake and it looks like they has the best entertainment player on the market at the moment.

It is true they dont last forever, But fortunatly the Laser diodes can be easily replaced with a new one. No need to stress about playing DVD's on your PS3.

Im certainly not an electronics expert so this may seem like a dumb question, but... How would someone get the diodes replaced if they needed to?

Theres a guy in conder who im 95% sure could fix it... PM me for the details if you want them.

The laser in the ps3 wouldnt be reading much differently on a dvd than it would a blu ray (for games etc)... same goes for xbox 360 games and dvd's... if you cant play a dvd on a dvd player (which is what both the 360 and ps3 have) as much as you want, then its pointless... so i dont know how much truth is in "the more you play dvd's, the more the laser dies" story... i would almost guarantee its just the general life of the laser in your dvd player, or just needs a thorough clean...

Edited by SKYLVIA

ps3 and xbox are dvd players?? r u insane?

ps3 is a Bluray player... it will play dvds but its not a dvd player... it has a different laser wavelength altogether

ps3 and xbox are dvd players?? r u insane?

So if PS3 and Xbox 360 can both play DVD's perfectly fine, what would you call them? 360 games are on DVD's, and the 360 reads them, and plays them, hence "DVD player"

I know what your saying, that its a Blu-Ray player with capabilities of playing DVD's, but some people really cant be arsed to write "Blu-Ray player with capabilities of playing DVD's" or "A device that can read and play DVD movies/PS2 games (Also stored on DVD's, but only capable on 60gb models)".

Edited by SKYLVIA

Well I dont know, but I must say the upscaler on the ps3 works a charm and the picture was so much clearer than on my mates conventional DVD player.

Well I dont know, but I must say the upscaler on the ps3 works a charm and the picture was so much clearer than on my mates conventional DVD player.

R u running ur PS3 through HDMI?

Edited by Mayuri Krab

I cant be certain, as it isnt mine, its my mate's. But I think the answer to the above is yes?

Edited by Yawn

Ps3 native scale is 600p, it upscales to 1080p if the software enables that format

I have my PS3 running directly into my HD LCD screen via HDMI and the 1080P picture absolutely awesome, Ive never seen such a clear image.

I have 2 questions for anyone who considers themselves a bit of a PS3 expert:

1. When I watch DVD's on my PS3, every half hour or so the sound drops out completely for about 1 or 2 seconds, why would this happen? (I have checked all the sound settings and they're all correct and all cables are properly plugged in).

It doesnt do it during game play though.

2. What is an "upscaler" and why would you use it?

I have my PS3 running directly into my HD LCD screen via HDMI and the 1080P picture absolutely awesome, Ive never seen such a clear image.

I have 2 questions for anyone who considers themselves a bit of a PS3 expert:

1. When I watch DVD's on my PS3, every half hour or so the sound drops out completely for about 1 or 2 seconds, why would this happen? (I have checked all the sound settings and they're all correct and all cables are properly plugged in).

It doesnt do it during game play though.

2. What is an "upscaler" and why would you use it?

1. Difficult to answer without more info what sound system do you have, if its a 5.1 system it might be from lights getting turned on and off which can interfere with the frequency but it could be many other things. Just ceck your connection and make sure you have the sound settings set right for your system.

2. Upscaler is automatic, ps3 is 600p. If a game supports a higher scan then the ps3 will up scale to its optimum.

example if the game says on the back 720p/1080i/1080p it can run at 1080p max but that will be upscaled from 600p.

Thanks for that Pat,

Its not a light switch problem.

Im running the sound from the LCD to my stereo amp witch is 2 channel only, its an older HI-FI set up with all individual units (amp, graphic equaliser, cd player etc are all separate) and the setting on the playstation is for 2 channel linear 48khz which was the auto set when I set up the sound options...

I'll have another look at all the cables and see if they arent kinked or not connected properly but Im pretty sure that they're all fine.