SAU Community

Going Back To Stock Suspension

Ok, when I bought my R33 GTS-T (couple years ago now) it came with Jap-spec Tein HR coilover suspension. The spring rates were ridiculously hard for the road, but I put up with them mostly because I got used to them.

But that was when the car was stock. Now its pulling a good 260+ at the rears. Because of the super tough spring rates, it cannot squat at all at the rear and thus I get wheelspin (on 265's mind you) when planting it in third in a straight line.... so yeah, i've just about had enough of wheelspin, and kidney damage over bumps.

Now I do want one of those sydneykid bilstein/whiteline street setups, but thats a while off due to lack off funds. HOWEVER I do have a set of stock R33 suspension i've acquired, and which i'm going to install in the meantime.

QUESTION: Should I just replace the rear shocks/springs? Or all of it? Is there any gains by leaving the teins at the front, stockies at the rear?

Thanks =)

thought of just changing the springs?

Wouldn't that kill his shocks?

Not an expert but I don't think it makes sense to go from really hard springs with shocks to match and then much softer springs but the same shocks.

Yeah but why spend money on shitty king springs... might as well just save up for a decent all round kit. All I wanted to know was whether there was any particular benefits of leaving super-hard front suspension in terms of handling. I personally don't think it will help grip, since i think a car needs to squat a bit at the front to put torque down at the rear - if you've used front & rear brakes on a motorbike, you'll know where my logic is coming from. Then again, I'm no suspension expert so if anyone wants to give me advice to the contrary go for it =)

By the way, are there any other problems i'm likely to run into when going back to stock suspension with that sort of power level?

Yeah but why spend money on shitty king springs... might as well just save up for a decent all round kit. All I wanted to know was whether there was any particular benefits of leaving super-hard front suspension in terms of handling. I personally don't think it will help grip, since i think a car needs to squat a bit at the front to put torque down at the rear - if you've used front & rear brakes on a motorbike, you'll know where my logic is coming from. Then again, I'm no suspension expert so if anyone wants to give me advice to the contrary go for it =)

By the way, are there any other problems i'm likely to run into when going back to stock suspension with that sort of power level?

Where do I start :thumbsup:

Axle tramp, with the increased torque the standard rear springs will wind up pretty fast and recoil just as fast. The standard shocks have no hope of controlling that and you will get severe axle tramp, the kind that breaks drive shafts and diffs. Not to mention is very slow due to the lack of traction while the wheels are bouncing up and down.

I have plenty more if you need it.

Cheers

Gary

Where do I start :thumbsup:

Axle tramp, with the increased torque the standard rear springs will wind up pretty fast and recoil just as fast. The standard shocks have no hope of controlling that and you will get severe axle tramp, the kind that breaks drive shafts and diffs. Not to mention is very slow due to the lack of traction while the wheels are bouncing up and down.

I have plenty more if you need it.

Cheers

Gary

:( well that's even worse... Should i just keep the super tough springs then until I can afford a bilstein street kit? Diff/drive-shaft repairs ain't cheap....

:D well that's even worse... Should i just keep the super tough springs then until I can afford a bilstein street kit? Diff/drive-shaft repairs ain't cheap....

You could try it, if it axle tramps then get of the throttle before it breaks anything. Then you know which is the better of the two evils, at least until you can afford to do it properly.

Cheers

Gary