SAU Community

R32: How To Install A Digital Speedometer

Sean'O

Hey all,

Had a little bit of spare time on my hands so I thought I would finally post up my Pivot Speed Meter install on my 32

Tools your going to need

- Screwdriver set

- Pliers

- Multimeter

- Duct tape

- Wire stripper or a sharp knife

- Soldering iron

- Cable ties

Ok, so here's the unit in all it's glory lol

gallery_29260_2660_323937.jpg

To start off you'll need to mount the meter (I decided to put mine just above the steering column), then run the cables behind the dash (easier if you wrap the ends with a bit of duct tape and slide behind the air con unit)

gallery_29260_2660_690498.jpg

gallery_29260_2660_859329.jpg

gallery_29260_2660_147537.jpg

OK, now for the fun part.....your going to need to get access to your car's computer. It's located behind the passenger side kick panel here,

gallery_29260_2660_191855.jpg

gallery_29260_2660_340604.jpg

gallery_29260_2660_795016.jpg

Once you take off the panels, detach the computer from it's bracket and remove the plastic plate to reveal the wires.

gallery_29260_2660_336185.jpg

gallery_29260_2660_283551.jpg

From here you need to locate the power, ground and the digital speed wires (you are provided with documentation that instructs which specific wires). The instructions are in Japanese that come with the unit but you can download an English version off their website. The wires you are looking for are on this side of the computer and you can use a multimeter to find which one is the power. From there use the power as a reference point to find the ground and speed (I did the install a fair while ago so I couldn't tell you the 'exact' positions, but they are pretty easy to find)

gallery_29260_2660_7513.jpg

********************************************************************************

* Once you find the appropriate wires disconnect your car battery so you avoid any short circuits *

********************************************************************************

You now have to strip a small section of the wires back to bare metal and crimp the speed meter's wires at per the instructions that come with the unit. Your computer should now look something like this....

gallery_29260_2660_479987.jpg

Note: This unit does come with a "speed cut" functionality except I decided not to bother as I doubt my car could get up to those speeds anyway ha ha

Now that the wires are attached, replace the plastic cover

gallery_29260_2660_628511.jpg

All you have to do now is put all the panels back on and tuck the wires up behind the glove box with a few cable ties, reattach your car's battery and shazam your ready for a test :)

gallery_29260_2660_795371.jpg

So far I have had the unit in my car for about a year and it's never skipped a beat.....ohhh, and it's also ridiculously accurate :D

Hope this is of some use to people and my apologies for not being able to tell you the exact wires, but trust me they are very easy to find.

Improvements and comments welcome :D

Cheers,

Sean

hey how much did you pay for the pivot meter?

Do you wanna sell that flare :)

From memory I paid about $70 which was MUCH cheaper than getting my speedometer recalibrated lol (it's about 20km/h out :D)...it also does 1/4 mile times ha ha ;)

I think Pivot have also released some new versions that can track your times on the racetrack too :)

ha ha, no way man!!! ;), love the flare

are u able to calibrate the speedo like say if i had a different ratio diff or gearbox i could calibrate the digital speedo to the correct speed?

Hey buddy,

Nahh, this particular model cannot be altered, I'm pretty sure there are some "higher end" units though that can be adjusted to a degree, from memory the Apexi RSM will do that for ya, but it is a bit more expensive

But I'm not totally sure if having a different Gear ratios would matter, it depends on where the computer gets the speed signal from (ie: directly from the wheels or from the gearbox etc). You may have to ask in one of the other technical threads where the signal is coming from :D

Cheers,

Sean

Yeah the apexi rsm will do it. I installed one in my car and its similar to what Sean'O did. Its got a few more wires from memory, like RPM.

Picked my RSM up for $150 with the G sensor.

Great little thing. Highly Recomended.

I also installed the Speed limiter cut opition which comes with the RSM. I think what it does is trick the ECU in regards to frequency/voltage that gets put out at a certain speed. So the ecu well think you are going 170 when really you are going 220. So the ecu wont know your doing above 180kmh, and therefore woont cut it.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
bumping an old thread. i have a 32 with a rb25de. there is no wire in the harness where the speed sensor is mean tto connect to. any ways around this??

Hey buddy,

Hmmm, that's a tad strange, can you see if the wire has just been cut out of the computer? I'm not sure why somebody would do that but I suppose it's possible, have you had a good squiz at the ECU pinout diagram to make sure you're looking at the right one?? (click here --> http://r32skylines.com/content/view/15/30/ )

Cheers,

Sean