SAU Community

Intercooler Legalities

r32skylin

hi all,

i've got an r32 gtst that i want to put an intercooler on

i've researched it a bit and have decided it will be one of two

- blitz lm (return flow style)

- trust/greddy type ls

my question is, will cutting the hole under the battery tray, as required for the greddy cooler be a defect

is it worth spending the extra money on the return flow style

also, i understand i would have to cut the reo to fit any fmic (is there a way around this?), if i'am defected for other reasons and have to go to regency will they spot the cut reo or can't you see it

cheers

if u cut and go to regency youre screwed.

+1 its just not worth the damn hassle. any good cooler worth its salt will fit into the stock vehicle. cost u more in the longrun if you get defected, and its not worth undermining the integrity of your vehicles structure... at least thats my 2c

Speak to Ryan at ISC or Mark at Exhaust Tech, they can probably fix you up with a nice cooler for your car which wont require cutting

-D

i have a 4inch thick cooler on the front of my 32 and it required very minor cutting to the reo bar, and it still passed regency. if you get a 3inch cooler it will fit no probs, plus cutting the hole under the battery is fine.

if the dudes at regency have a bad day, or his wife gf didnt blow him that night or woteva, and they see anything cut, you will cop the regency big black dildo with no vaseline.... not worth the headfux 4 a streeter. get a GTR...

dave your intercooler is massive!!

i guess the front bar dont fit over that motha!

Iv hade two diffrent bars on the car and both nedded to be cut, its a cheap china GTR DRAG COOLER 600x300x125mm which set me back $500 but im looking at getting a greddy or hks item soon.

so some people have got the greddy ls kit to fit without cutting the reo, or just trimming a little?

has any one been through regency with the hole under battery tray?

yeah my car passed with the cut whole, just make it neat and use some rubber edgeing around the hole so that it wont rub through your cooler pipe, and all will be sweet :D

Pretty much whats been said. My reo bar is cut and i passed regency earlier this week. I got lucky though. Im pretty sure there is a DIY tutorial on SAU

somewhere where someone has installed their cooler without cutting their reo bar at all. Do a search. I'd find it but i cbf XD

if u cut and go to regency youre screwed.

cutting a whole into the chassis is where youll be screwed but under the battery tray youll be sweet as. make it neat and youll have know drama's as its not major part of the car.

dont cut the reo bar, if you have to make mods to it just take it off that way you should be fine when it comes to regency time as you can just put it back on insted of looking for another reo bar :D

Edited by Import S13

as long as you cut the hole under the battery tray is accurate you might not even have to bend any pipes! otherwise you can just use both the standard intercooler holes and run one pipe underneath the cooler

From memory there should even be a outline for where the hole needs to be cut out on a 32, its where the GTR cooler pipe goes through, so it should be very easy if you use the right size hole saw :D

Edited by DSTROY

as long as you cut the hole under the battery tray is accurate you might not even have to bend any pipes! otherwise you can just use both the standard intercooler holes and run one pipe underneath the cooler

like nos man said, in my 33 i got my cooler piping going thru the standard holes and got a pipe running back underneath my cooler.

I just did my own return piping from the fmic to the stock holes from the smic. No cutting to chassis, reo bar, bodywork, nothing!

I agree that as long as you keep it neat and tidy, you will generally be okay.

:D

My cooler went in without any cutting of the reo, and i have a just jap kit! If you buy a greddy, it will most likely fit without much hassle or custom work.

My cooler went in without any cutting of the reo, and i have a just jap kit! If you buy a greddy, it will most likely fit without much hassle or custom work.

No cutting Damo, but a bit of bending was required.