SAU Community

Tried Wiring Number Plate Lights, Now Electrical Prob.

4drftn

tried wiring new numberplate lights on my r33, had the parker lights on and must have crossed the wires wrong, rear lights went out, the beeper inside the car from leaving the lights on stopped and dash lights went out...

i went to the fuses box and pulled the electric fuses to find it was ok. plugged it back in and the rear lights come back on, dash background lighting come back on and beeper come back on.

thought it was all good until i switched the lights off and they didnt go off, the light warning beeper didnt stop and background dash light still on.

its had me beat whats happining, can someone lead me in the right direction or have any ideas to whats happening

4drftn.

no havent got numberplate lights at the moment.

there was power getting to the numberplate light holdsters, i used a test light to check, but wouldnt light up the bulbs, even after changing the bulbs still nothing. so iv cut them off and attempted to wire another one i got from autobahn.

must have short something out, but didnt blow the fuse... from what iv tried sussing out the wire may have melted into another wire that has a current flow of power even with the ignition off.

so currently (temporarily) i have one of the fuses (electric) out. which disables the dash lights, rear lights when the headlights and/or parker lights are on, parker lights and warning beeper. done this temporarily so my battery doesnt go flat etc.

brake lights still operate once brake is pressed...

no havent got numberplate lights at the moment.

there was power getting to the numberplate light holdsters, i used a test light to check, but wouldnt light up the bulbs, even after changing the bulbs still nothing. so iv cut them off and attempted to wire another one i got from autobahn.

must have short something out, but didnt blow the fuse... from what iv tried sussing out the wire may have melted into another wire that has a current flow of power even with the ignition off.

so currently (temporarily) i have one of the fuses (electric) out. which disables the dash lights, rear lights when the headlights and/or parker lights are on, parker lights and warning beeper. done this temporarily so my battery doesnt go flat etc.

brake lights still operate once brake is pressed...

Hey mate. Just check to make sure that you didn't bump the fog light switch on the combination swtch. On my wifes 33 4door it has a switch near the end of the combo switch. If that makes any sense.

Hey mate. Just check to make sure that you didn't bump the fog light switch on the combination swtch. On my wifes 33 4door it has a switch near the end of the combo switch. If that makes any sense.

yes mate, i checked that shortly after it happened incase it was accidently bumped in confussion.

iv been told there could possibly be a relay behind the dash somewhere that could have burnt...

i may have to resort going to an auto electrician as im all out of ideas to what could be causing the drama

Guest 40th-edition

because its an earth switch curcuit it sounds like u have an earthing problem? wrong wire earthed?

another thing it could, worth a look is a relay fused shut to keep the lights on.

hope these help

g'day mate. i'm an auto elect by trade and i don't think it could be a relay that has fused shut. for a relay to fuse shut you would have melted the wiring first and probably blown the fuse. if it is relayed it is negtive switch to the relay and sends a positive to the light. not the other way round. the original problem u had was just and earthing issue either on the bulb holder or in the wiring harness. the only way u can check if the harness is burnt is to remove the trim round the boot and remove the electrical tape. most melted wires only travel a short distance depending on how long the positive feed was to ground for. when u cut the wires did u notice if there was smoke signals or an electrical smell. if not u didn't melt the harness. hopefully this can help.

Edited by 116.hks

i currently have all boot trim removed from the car, i will take the tape off and have a check, it only sparked for a split second so hopefully the damage isnt far from the numberplate light location.

i didnt smell anything as i had the power off when i cut the 2 wires off. even after it sparked i didnt smell anything.

from what i have described, what are the chances of me having to replace the harness? or would there possibly be another solution or alternative to having the harness replaced?

i currently have all boot trim removed from the car, i will take the tape off and have a check, it only sparked for a split second so hopefully the damage isnt far from the numberplate light location.

i didnt smell anything as i had the power off when i cut the 2 wires off. even after it sparked i didnt smell anything.

from what i have described, what are the chances of me having to replace the harness? or would there possibly be another solution or alternative to having the harness replaced?

from wat u have just said if you had the power off ( lights off) then i don't think you have done any damage to harness as such. if you don't mind me asking where are u located. i'm in redcliffe near brisbane. if you live round here i could meet u and check it out for ya. i'm just running out of ideas at the moment. wat u have done could not cause the harness to melt and join a positive to that wire.

icon9.gif

that would be excellent only i live in TAS. :(

when i cut the wires everything was off, but when i went to wire it up/ test i turned the lights on and placed one of the wires on and nothing, then the other wire and nothing, then stuipidly i placed both on it which caused a spark.

i should have mentioned earlier... the light i tried wiring is a truck & trailer lamp (with no wiring), not an actuall numberplate light with an earth wire and a power wire.

NARVA truck & trailer lamp

P/No. 85874BL Marker Lamp (clear)

from my understanding (after it happen) these work by earthing or something along those lines...

picture in link - http://autoonecai.cart.net.au/details/528947.html

i guess i wont be calling round to help ya then :( . those lights are just a marker type light. yes they require pos and neg to work. the only thing that i may suggest at this stage is to disconnect the park/headlight switch at the steering column and see if the lights go off. if the don't you know it is definetly in the harness to the rear or possible to the front. if the lights go out then u might have a switch problem. if the lights stay on with the switch disconnected then trace the harness to the rear and disconnect any plug connectors and c if the lights go. it a process of elimination unfortunalty. c how u go with that if it gets to further involved u might have to visit your local auto elect. sorry mate. let us know how ya go.

wired up new (proper) numberplate lights tonight...

with the fuse out (lights off) i tested both wires with a test light. both wires were showing a negative (earth) current through them. im unsure if there is supposed to be an earth current through both wires??? -

- is that normal?

- or could it possibly be causing me the problem?

i put the fuse in (which sends power to the lights) and one had turned into a power which i imagine is normal.

then...

I wired the numberplate lights up... working.

now...

with the fuse still in (which means lights are on) i unplugged the connector plugs behind the tail lights. still stayed on.

i plan to remove the rear seats tomorrow, as i think there is a connector plug behind the seats.

you advised to start from the front and move towards the back. so i will remove steering column surround and start from the switch (indicator stalk).

I imagine the wiring also continues under the drivers side door strip/scuff plate.

Is this correct?

cheers

wired up new (proper) numberplate lights tonight...

with the fuse out (lights off) i tested both wires with a test light. both wires were showing a negative (earth) current through them. im unsure if there is supposed to be an earth current through both wires??? -

- is that normal?

- or could it possibly be causing me the problem?

i put the fuse in (which sends power to the lights) and one had turned into a power which i imagine is normal.

then...

I wired the numberplate lights up... working.

now...

with the fuse still in (which means lights are on) i unplugged the connector plugs behind the tail lights. still stayed on.

i plan to remove the rear seats tomorrow, as i think there is a connector plug behind the seats.

you advised to start from the front and move towards the back. so i will remove steering column surround and start from the switch (indicator stalk).

I imagine the wiring also continues under the drivers side door strip/scuff plate.

Is this correct?

cheers

yeah mate that should be normal. i'll double check on me wifes 33 tomorrow on how they switch. when u say you unplugged the connectors behind the tailights did you disconnect each light and the front lights stayed on or you unplugged the rear lights completely and they stayed on? yeah if you start from the front to the back you should stumble across the problem. just remember to check the front parkers as well, to make sure they go off as well if you start unplugging the harness towards the rear. good luck. icon1.gif

Edited by 116.hks