SAU Community

Series 2 R33 GTST airbag light flashing - I've tried the usual fixes

Hi guys,

I realise this has been covered lots but after trying a bunch of fixes my airbag light is still flashing :(

Things I've tried:

From Skyline owners: https://www.skylineowners.com/threads/airbag-warning-light.181475/

Key on door open
Key off
Key on
Hit the door pin switch 10 times

Another from Skyline owners:  https://www.skylineowners.com/threads/air-bag-light-fixed.29792/

1) Open the driver's side door.
2) Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start the vehicle)
3) Within 7 seconds of turning the key to ON, push the driver's side door switch button at least 5 times.
4) The Air Bag light should go solid...give it at least 7 seconds, and it should begin to blink a 3 second, 2 second on/off pattern.
5) Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
6) Start vehicle, and wait for the Air Bag light to turn off to verify that it worked.

Note that I have not touched the factory steering wheel! and the flashing airbag light started without making any changes to the car.

While trying the typical fixes above, I can get the airbag light to flash in the diagnostic sequence, but I don't know what the sequence means.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Mike

10 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Take it to an auto electrician. Plug in a diagnostic handset. Read the codes.

Thanks GTSBoy - I was thinking it was getting to that

Mike

cheers guys

I'm running an Apexi Power FC computer instead of factory and my 1997 R33 series 2 is pre OBD2.

I'm thinking any service person will need an Apexi Power FC hand controller or an FC DataLogit to access any codes on my vehicle?

Unfortunately, I don't have either an Apexi hand controller or Datalogit - and I'm guessing nor do most service people in Brisbane 🤥

My car has been previously tuned in Brisbane - I'm not sure I'd get them to tune/dyno the car again, but they can obviously connect to an Apexi Power FC...

...to read the air bag codes on my car, do I go back to the guys able to tune Apexi Power FC computers or is there a different option?

cheers,

Mike

26 minutes ago, mikel said:

I'm thinking any service person will need an Apexi Power FC hand controller or an FC DataLogit to access any codes on my vehicle?

No. My original advice

On 4/11/2024 at 6:40 AM, GTSBoy said:

Take it to an auto electrician. Plug in a diagnostic handset. Read the codes.

remains 100% valid. Evey single CU on the car s able to talk to a diagnostic handset plugged into the Consult port. No OBD. No problem. Has Consult.

PowerFC is not part of this equation. You want the codes from the SRS CU.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

No. My original advice

remains 100% valid. Evey single CU on the car s able to talk to a diagnostic handset plugged into the Consult port. No OBD. No problem. Has Consult.

PowerFC is not part of this equation. You want the codes from the SRS CU.

thanks GTSBoy

Actually I think you will probably still run into an issue as the consult connector is unusual and most workshops won't have that available (everything modern is OBD). It might require a trip to a friendly nissan dealer who does have the right connector (but may not be interested in helping).

Alternative is remove the airbag globe and disconnect the airbag computer, if that is legal

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Actually I think you will probably still run into an issue as the consult connector is unusual and most workshops won't have that available (everything modern is OBD). It might require a trip to a friendly nissan dealer who does have the right connector (but may not be interested in helping).

Nah. Any decent third party diagnostics unit should be able to talk Consult and all the other non-OBD protocols from back in the day. It's only 25 years since OBD started taking over. There's many cars from that ear still on the road. My mechanic's diag terminal is plenty able to talk to the other CUs in my car. Well, those that are still present, anyway. That's probably only the HICAS CU, as there never was an ABS or TCS or SRS CU, and the TCU went in the bin 25 years ago.