SAU Community

Oxidation

To everyone with the rain marks that seem to be permanently stuck on the windows, I have found the fix :down:

Just use Autosol Metal Polish, a cloth, and lots of hard work, its that simple.

Just make sure you apply a fair amount of pressure when rubbing the compound in, you may have to apply it twice to get any little bits you might have missed, and hey presto, new windows!

Awesome, been trying to put it off until someone had an idea of how to get it off! SmoothV35 just a couple of Q's where did u get it from and also how'd u come to think of putting a metal polish on glass?

Cheers

Hi Robbo05,

I bought it from my local Supercheap Auto so I could get rid of the staining on the chrome parts. It worked perfectly on the chrome as I expected, but that got me thinking that maybe the staining was on the surface of the glass, not acid rain that had eaten into the glass as was suggested by some people.

Me being the type that likes to experiment with things, I tried it on the glass in an inconspicuous area and was ecstatic to find that it actually works. :happy: Because I was seriously starting to consider buying replacement glass, haha.

Like I said though, rub with a decent amount of pressure and concentrate on one small area at a time. Rubbing up and down works best as opposed to a swirling motion.

There may be an easier way to rub it off, like with one of those electric orbital polishers, but I don't have one of those and I'm happy to just keep chipping away at it myself.

Last night I also used it to clean the yellowing off my headlights, haha, seems like it polishes more than just metal :)

If you have any other questions let me know.

Theres no need to worry about how hard you push, the Autosol compound does not eat glass.

And it doesn't work 'fairly well', it works, full stop.

That's good, I was mearly mentioning that Autosol is an abrasive type of product. Would hate to see someone forget that...

That's good, I was mearly mentioning that Autosol is an abrasive type of product. Would hate to see someone forget that...

Can confirm that this works a treat. Just did the chrome around the door windows and then the rear window. Took about 15 minutes and my arm feels it so I'll do the rest later. :)

Used Maquires window cleaner to clean off the polish residue. Perfect!! :P:happy:

tried it today. Didn't really work that well for me. The stains are slightly less obvious but still very visible. Applied half a dozen times per window,used up approx 1/4 of a brand new tube of autosol. Maybe my stains are particularly tougher...

Anyone else have success?

Hey N15M0,

I'd be happy to show you in person if its convenient, let me know.

Whereabouts in Brissie are you in? I'm on the Southside,Runcorn. That would be great maybe on the weekend or something. Maybe get Robbo05 (mark) to come along to so we can have a stain removal session lol.

I live northside so would be willing to meet you halfway on the weekend. However, before we get to that stage, lets make sure you guys are doing it right :down:

Using a dollop about the size of a 5 cent piece and a rough textured cloth, rub in an up and down motion, no swirls, using your index and middle finger with pretty much your whole weight against it. Takes about 20 seconds of rubbing in a spot about 15cm high by 3cm wide to see the results. Its not an easy thing to do, thats for sure.

The user Clikar23 was successful and if you ask him, I bet he tells you his arm is sore after doing just one window, so if yours isn't then you are definitely not doing it right, haha

Give that a shot and let me know how it pans out.