SAU Community

Gaming Pc

Bo0oSt

....You should checkout the Gainward GS 4870's, they are the pick of aftermarket cooled ones. Dual fans, mofset heatsinks with a fan above the mofsets/ram.

The setup on them is excellent.

Yeah that would keep temps in check, wish they all came out like that. Also, Palit do a dual fan card edition but, I believe the Gainward one comes with better software.
Cant wait to get my hands on a 4870x2 mmmm two cores on a gfx card!

So then do we all predcit that these new cpu's will transfer the tech somehow onto a graphics card in the not too distant future and vica versa? what i mean is with the 4870 graphics cards using DDR5 ram, will that be used soon in normal everday pc ram?

Will the tech in these new quad core cpu's be used on graphics card somehow or another?

In recent times the tech in GPU's has advanced somewhat quicker than what CPU's have and the CPU has generally been the bottlneck when you have mid-top of the range GPUs. From what I've read, the only benefits of the i7 cores over the C2D & C2Q for gaming is that it will namely improve multi-GPU scaling and increase fps (esp if the game is CPU bound). So really it's the CPU that is catching up to the graphics cards to help extract better performance.

Doubt we'll see DDR5 RAM anytime soon, as latency timings would be somewhat an issue atm and would be taking a backwards step...like getting a PCI-E sound card :O

The main thing I'm looking forward to the new CPUs is actually the new X58 mobos. The stock Intel ones only supports Cross-Fire like usual, but the other manufacture ones like Asus have added an Nvidia chip to it in conjunction to the intel chipset to make the board compatible with both SLI & cross fire. So if you are looking for external 2 card SLI/Cross fire, you no longer need to buy a specify board for it.

But then again, considering the current price of the asus ones to be over $500, not looking too smart of a purchase yet :down:

I hope AMD comes up with something soon, they are lagging way too far behind...

Theres also an video on the nvidia site where they got the mythbuster guys to build them some auto painting robots one stands for the CPU other stands for the GPU & shows how each works differently. The CPU robot paints the picture 1 paint ball at a time sequentially while the GPU paints the picture all at the same time using all its paint balls.

Yeah that would keep temps in check, wish they all came out like that. Also, Palit do a dual fan card edition but, I believe the Gainward one comes with better software.

Although, you do know that ATi stuffed on them ye?

The factory fans only run @ 20%, hence why the cards get so damn hot.

http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=572389

Changing the fans closer to 40% (or around that) drops temps down massively on the stock fan :down:

As you can tell, ive done my google-ing lol.

True, they do run pretty hot on default program settings. With my MSI O/C HD4870 (780Mhz) the fans run @ 26%max and on idle will sit 60-65degrees but @ 40% I see temps drop up to 18degress.

Yeah, creating and altering profiles on CCC help alot to keep things cool - I have TV (32%), gaming (42%) and benchmark mode (55%=3550rpm). Although, on the latest Catalyst version ATi have now added a manual fan controller function, making it easier to play around and change fan speeds.