SAU Community

Fuel Pump Fitting

hoony

2 do the job, 6 drink the beer

Sunday morning but it must be early to make my cruise, i'll make my cruise in the afternoon

after the pump is in we'll all cruise down together, so how long does it take to do this?

I'd really like to be there for this, but I'll have to let you know. All depends how much I need to sleep. I'm working night shift everyday that weekend and I will be at AHG on Saturday all day, so I might be passing out on Sunday

Depends on how many beers are drunk.

Take pump out: 5-10 mins max

Pull pump apart: 30mins

Put new pump in: 30 mins

Reinstall pump: 5-10 mins

I think... Like I said, I've never done it before. I'd give it a few hours though.

take pump out, depending on how badly stuck your cap is (it will be very tight) 20 minutes

pull pump apart...WTF? its just clamped onto a metal cradle, takes 2 seconds to take it off

then you have to modify the cradle (cut it up) so the new pump can sit lower in the tank

putting it in, well... if you manage to get the pump to sit at the right hight and get the cradle to hook back on the first time then your doing really well

you also need to get a few bolts and attach the power wires to it

and if you have mates over you will stop to have sex probably about 3 times so this will not be a quick exercise.

pump out, depending on how badly stuck you is (it will be very tight) 20 minutes

pull pump ...WTF? take it off

then cradle (up) so pump lower n ank

put it in, well... if you pump, sit at the right hight and hook back first, your doing really well

and attach wires to it

and if you have mates over you will stop to have sex probably about 3 times so this will not be a quick exercise.

Edited!!

But yeah i totally agree! :D

Edited by SCR34M

guys, think really really carefully before putting a 044 in your car

1/ 044 is good for well over 300rwkw, most engines will need to be fully built before it can stretch this pump to its limits, and be running a BFOT - which is alot more than 99% of gtsts will realise

2/ they are noisy

3/ Be ready to experience fuel surge - they are heavy and move (the whole bracket) when you punt a car hard, even hard street driving can make them move, definately on the track - this will result in you having to open the tank back up and reposition the pump quite regularly, or make sure you have over 1/4 to 1/3 a tank of fuel at all times

4/ they are not an easy fit

5/ they are noisy (put it in twice, cos they really noisy fuel pumps)

(yes, I have fitted 044s in tank, the above is from personal experience, and the experience of a couple of mates, and a mechanic that I just didnt when he recommended otherwise)

As alternatives - R32 or 33 GTR fuel pumps will support 250rwkw, which is enough for most applications, they are a similar size (to factory) and dont require you to bend the fuel pump bracket just to fit it

Also, nismo, tomei etc all make fuel pumps that are similar in size (to gtr pumps) and will flow enough for well over 300rwkw, are alot quieter than 044, wont cause surge problems, fitting problems etc too - but are a bit expensive and will be over-engineering in most cases. (having said they are expensive, I bought a Tomei GTR fuel pump second hand for $200, I tested it, it flowed enough for over 700hp at 3kg base pressure - yet it was quieter than a OEM GTR pump!)

If you can find a good one - walbro make a small, light quiet pump that will flow enough for most street applications, (but they don't seem as reliable nowadays as they used to be). I have seen these support up to 300rwkw too, so they do alright

If you are not going for big power, give some serious thought to selling your 044, and getting something smaller, lighter, easier to fit and quieter

Just my 0.02c

hhrrmm... something to consider now, thanks heaps for the advice Steve

will give it time, not fitting anytime soon anyway guys as i'll be putting in an ECU too, most likely a Vi-Pec and building this motor now it looks like it

Yeah that's the way Andrew. Don't rush things.

I haven't experienced and fuel surging as i have put a hose between the pump and the pick up sock. Its long enough to touch the bottom of the fuel tank. Also my pump is basically hanging and not on the bracket you're supposed to slide it in. But i have not been on track to experience surge..

I agree they are noisy, but its a nice buzzing sound and is not as loud as in the boot with surge tank.

WTF? how was my post not on topic?

How is trying to help someone from possibly making a mistake a bad thing?

Here I was thinking the forums were about helping people

stop being crazy steve :laugh:

ps. serious urgent question (which i doubt will get answered in time)

how do i drop tank in a r32 (gtst)

(need to replace the 2 fuel lines going to and coming from the tank)

undo the filler pipe and then just slowly drop it down??