SAU Community

Queensland.

grigor

Well it’s done. 90kph from the top of Cooroy mountain all the way to Curra.

The brothers were finishing the massive sign alterations today and what an effort with teams working from both ends to get it done on time.

All I can say is WTF??????

Main Roads has only just completed the Black Mountain passing lane, fixed up the killer patch at Federal, new passing lanes at Traveston turnoff, passing lane South of the Burnett Highway turnoff etc etc. and all for 90kph.

When I came through today, it was a non-stop line of cars crawling along at well under 90.

Stands to reason, if the first car is doing 90, the next is back at 88 , next at 85 and so on.

Excellent conditions for nose to tail collisions.

My poor old dunnydoor didn’t know what the hell was going on and changed right back to 2nd going up Black Mountain. Hardly economical driving.

But here’s the killer.

With a continuous stream of cars, vehicles wanting to enter the highway haven’t enough room to accelerate up to speed and then merge. I saw a mobile home waiting to join in at the Borumba Dam entry. Lots of luck mate.

Then at Bells Bridge, traffic was stalled way back over the bridge as a B-double was trying to turn South onto the highway. Simply not enough space/time to get his rig across the highway.

Bloke in a 4x got the shits with everyone at the Curra passing lane and overtook . But at the end, everyone had bunched up and no-one could let him back in. Here he is at 110+ down the wrong side of the road, over double lines the lot.

And for anyone else who might think about passing on overtaking lanes, be warned, I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen the radar van at the South end of the Federal passing lane.

With the recent increases in traffic fine fees, this is nothing more than a revenue raiser of the worst kind, timed down to the last Christmas $.

I agree with you and understand fully.I travel up to gympie to see mates up that way from maroochydore and i tell you i keep my my visits spread apart cause of the great quality roads that QLD government and mains roads supply.

Can't believe how stupid we all looked in single file up the nice new Black Mountain passing lane.

Forking enormous waste of our money.

To top it off, the surveyors were also out pegging for the next 4-lane extension.

I note a lot of their pegs surveyed last week have already been given the treatment by the slasher.

I dont see how if one car is doing 90, then the next 88, 85 and so on... But anyway...

Also, if old mate in his 4b wants to over take and not look up a head of him, well, thats his problem.

I don't think the problem is roads in Queensland. I think the problem is drivers. I know its not the best patch of road up that way. But qld drivers definatly do not help it.

And we might be the slow backwards State. But with WA, we are the only state keeping this country afloat atm. So 3 cheers for Queensland!

I don't think the problem is roads in Queensland. I think the problem is drivers. I know its not the best patch of road up that way. But qld drivers definatly do not help it.

Agree that the problem is drivers, there are too many of them for our crappy roads :)

Seriously, the road system in SEQ is a bloody disgrace and revenue raising speed cameras have not for a long time been sited at true black spots, just where they can catch the most $.

And we might be the slow backwards State. But with WA, we are the only state keeping this country afloat atm. So 3 cheers for Queensland!

That's cause taxes are going up again, out of our pockets, into krudds to give out to someone else elsewhere...

Or less currupt money grabbing Councilors.

Not councilors, the State Government.

The Gympie Regional Council has requested that the previous speed limits be re-instated, at least from Gympie North to Curra.

This would fix the problems created at the Bells Bridge turnoff, a junction that had just been altered to assist the Burnett Highway traffic to merge.

As some councilors live out that way, (Kilkivan etc) they've probably had first hand experiences with this balls-up.

Unfortunately this won't help if you live at Cooran or any of the other towns where highway access has just been upgraded at HUGE expense.

well i travel from caboolture 2 gympie twice a day, and it's all sweet up untill the double lanes single out at cooroy.

i noticed the new speep limit on tuesday morning on my way back from gympie, i'm just lucky there were no police

on my trip up, or i woulda been screwed doing 120-125 in a 90.

hopefully the speed limit will be reinstated soooooon.

cuz it makes my drive 10x more boring being stuck at 90.

Some changes today, back up to 100k near Curra. Not quite where it should be of course, the Bells Bridge exit is still in the 90 zone.

Maybe it will altered in the next "review".

I feel sorry for you courier guys, especially now with the Christmas traffic. I do North Coast/Gympie a few times per week and I've been getting overtaken by lots of irate drivers who mustn't be seeing the thousands of signs.

i think it comes down to australia needing a autobarn like in germany lol

Exactly, but we need a government that's able to look to the future for that, and to realize that investing in a road system that might be undercapacty for the first 5 years of its service is what your supposed to do, not to upgrade it when it gets to 100% capacity so that it goes back down to 90%.

Ok, there are a few things that i would like to add.

Only one person asked for the 90 speed limit. I know the person and i couldn't disagree with them more. It just took one flog bag.

the 90 limit sucks, but only adds 4min when you do the maths. But I have yet to cruise through there in that time frame.

If you really want to stop the road toll, teach the idiots to drive. Its that simple. road surfaces in QLD suck, but they dont kill people. if its raining, you drive slower, if it hails, you crawl or stop.

So, if your on crap road, leave some space, and get home alive..!

The only way this will be lifted is:

1: more people die, even in the 90 zone

2: massive public back lash.

I know which one i want to see..

• 3 weeks later...
The only way this will be lifted is:

1: more people die, even in the 90 zone

I know which one i want to see..

+1 for idiots crashing at 90km/h. no seriously they need to do license tests in 3 stages 1. day driving 2. night driving and 3. wetweather driving / hazzard course. they should all be tested on that as it is all part of day to day road conditions. or the good old bomb in a paddock is a fine way to learn how to control a car that is sideways and learn a health respect for your limitations and skill level.

I had to drive this stretch of road while coming back from Rockhampton.

The surface itself is immaculate and perfect for 110km/h speed limits.

Typical knee jerk reaction from the State Government due to a couple of people not taking care while driving (or lacking the skills to).

its not the speed thats the problem its following to closely

in my opinion people are less likely to maintain a 2 sec gap in a 90 cause after doing 110+ for half an hour it feels pretty slow in the 90 zone, and of course all the suburban assult vehicle drivers all close up too much in the slower zones.

in a 32 thats pretty low i cant see jack so i have a massive gap infront of me which just seems to incourage the SUV crowd to tailgate.