SAU Community

Old Airport At Pelican (newcastle)

Bakes

Drove past it yesterday, heaps of space, an unused runway just sitting there, easy access off road, far away enough from houses.

Wouldnt it be great if someone converted it to a drag strip? Who works for the council and can put forward the recommendation?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove past it yesterday, heaps of space, an unused runway just sitting there, easy access off road, far away enough from houses.

Wouldnt it be great if someone converted it to a drag strip? Who works for the council and can put forward the recommendation?

Bakes i drive past it all the time and think...wow nice 1/8th mile strip!

Guess what...it cannot be rezoned and houses built on it.

The residents would whinge but when they bought there it was a bloody airport!

It would make a great practice strip for use Newy's guys to check our short times, changes to our set-up and shake down passes after major work. I hate going all the way to Sydney to find out something is not right with the car.

Edited by DiRTgarage

would be awesome but you know what will happen, wasnt there someone trying to build a racing complex out the back end of the terrace but kept being knocked back by council because of noise polloution - theres no houses for around 3km by the way,

would be awesome but you know what will happen, wasnt there someone trying to build a racing complex out the back end of the terrace but kept being knocked back by council because of noise polloution - theres no houses for around 3km by the way,

yes...it was the people who own this facility...

http://www.motorplex.com.au/

heck i would even put down a run for shits and giggles if there was one there.. i know that driving for 6 seconds (if its a 1/8 mile) in a straight line is boring but meh... its a cop free, tyre frying thrash.

heck i would even put down a run for shits and giggles if there was one there.. i know that driving for 6 seconds (if its a 1/8 mile) in a straight line is boring but meh... its a cop free, tyre frying thrash.

Drag racing is as boring as bat shit...especially if your car is slow...but it would be fun to have a local strip where we could tear it up.

I dont know how long the actual strip is but id say its not 3/4 of a mile long which is needed for proper 1/4 mile action.

If you can run a 6 NZM.031 your doing very well.

Here is an old pic from when it was open a couple of years back. Now it just sits there abandoned.

There may be enough room to make the strip longer for 1/4 mile.

Does SAU want to buy it and convert it to a drag/race/drift track? :P

35702_w9cc056c8b82be7cdb9675c5027467b4e-700x640.jpg

i measured it on google earth from that white line you can see, to the dashed line at the other end, i got just under 900 metres.

it's too short ?

i'm not sure what sort of stopping distance you will need, for me. about 10 metres lol.

[...anyone have new owners details?

Yeah. Jeff McCloy owns it and he is having drama's with council over it, so you guys have no chance. And no-one could afford to buy it off him anyway.

how much does he want for it??

Lol. More then you can afford pal, airstrip.

Lets just say a fair bit... and then some. The newest owner (company anyway) won't even consider selling it for a while anyway from what I have researched.

Edited by hydie

[...anyone have new owners details?

Yeah. Jeff McCloy owns it and he is having drama's with council over it, so you guys have no chance. And no-one could afford to buy it off him anyway.

We're not interested in buying it from him, just helping his cashflow out a bit :P

Do you have any contact details for him please? All I'll do is mention what we plan on doing and the sort of rent we'll pay for a facility for one day, if that works for him then great, if not its only a phone call lost