SAU Community

Normal air filter V.S. Pod filter

steven

Hi guys, first i would like to say nice to meet you guys in the Skyline club. Here i've a question would like to share with you guys. Now i'm planning to buy a air filter for my car, but i don't know what kind of the air filter is suit for my GTST. Can u guys tell me what is the differ between the K&N air filter and Pod K&N air filter? How much house power of both filter they're produce?

Thanks guys, and really nice u meet to guys in the club!!!!

yea ive heard the same as skylinegtr and was told that the pod wasnt go as it will suck hot air from the engine bay. but this can be fixed by placing a guard around the pod separtating it from the engine bay as such to decrease the amount of hot air and then duct cold air from the front to the pod havent seen a comparison in power but heard this works well

put a k&n filter panel in your box... unless yu want induction sound in that case get a decent pod but route heaps of air to it...

it will cost you a couple of hundrz maybe less for induction noise same performnace as the panel :)

the standard box is better only becoz it can isolate the hot air in the engine bay, it flow LESS air the pod else the pod filter won't exist. pod is good but the problem is it will sucks in both the hot and the cold air, so? buy a heat sheid.

when u race the car and the speed will provide enough cold air, city drive? air box are still the best, but u don't have those special induction sound which only tubro car can made :)

or buy a ARC air box, which is 500 or more i think.

Panel filter will be best for everyday use.

If you weere on a track, I could see how the pod would be better.

But a aftermarket panel filter is much better in every day use.

I've done tests with a temp probe and believe me when I say get the panel filter.

your standard air box already has a cold air feed to it. it is already enclosed completely from engine bay heat.

put a free flowing filter in there and you're set.

why waste money on a more expensive filter (pod) then even more money trying to construct some sort of partition or box to keet the engine heat out, and then even more money and time trying to make some osrt of duct to get air in to this box you made..

for what? 0.5 kw?

useless..

Panel filter is the way to go.

Thanks everyone i think i'd better go on the panel filter. Any suggestion of good panel filter?

Hay guys, one more little question of the turbo car please! I just bought my GTST about fews weeks ago, and it's a auto one.( Becasue my gf and my sister doesn't know how to drive MT) And also it is my first turbo and auto car. Be honest i don't know turbo car really much, but i used to own a GTS MT.

The question is i really can't feel when is the turbo coming, let say when i done 100kms on the highway, even i kick down to 160kms. I didn't feel like much power pushed my back to go. Just like when driving a MT car in the 4th gear to accelerated. I wonder is it the all of the auto turbo skyline is like that. Or my turbo has something wrong?

Cheers man!!

Steven,,,why not buy the Trust panel filter,,,,I'm using one and haven't had a problem,,,It doesn't need all that fiddly spray-oil ,,,all you do is wash it out in clean soappy water,,,dry it out and alls good. I bought mine from Advan here in Australia,,,you should be able to get one from them in NZ no probs.

Neil.

hey steve, ive only had mine for a few weeks now and its auto too. i know what you mean by the thing down the highway but i dont why mine does the same i think it has to do with the auto box. i put a pod k&n with a heat shield around it with the factory induction thing aiming down on to it i did notice a difference with it though compared to the factory airbox for a auto they still go good. im not sure if it is true though but with a auto when the turbo spools up it keeps spooled up until u take your foot of the pedal which make it better for your turbo i think. even though they are a auto i still enjoy driving them as much as a manual and im sure you will to.

cheers ben.

yeah 95sky, on the highway its seem not so powerful eh, but i got the others thing, not sure is it same as ur one. Have u ever try to kick down from the traffic light? My suituation is the first and the second gear, i really feel have the power to push my back to go, but when up to the third gear, the sound just "BO BO" and then u actually can't feel the power. So i wonder is it all the auto turbo is like that?

By the way really thanks for you guys the advice, and how much for the Trust panel filter Neil?

Cheers

one more little question please bro! Have you guys heard of oil cooler? I read about this in the HK skyline club, they said for RB25DET engine add about 4.8L of engine oil, and extra 0.5L oil cooler if it have. Today i went down to differs shop to ask about it, but some of them said they don't know what is it, and some of them they said they don't have those kind of the stuff. So i just wonder have u guys heard about it, or have been use it b4?

Cheers man!

Hi Steven - Why bother with the Pod filter when a quality air-box filter will give the less restrictive intake you are after. Leave your engine bay looking standard dont use pods as they are sucking engine bay heat unless you shield. Why bother with an oil cooler -are you planning to circuit race a gtst??

Guest RedLineGTR

the k&N panel filters u can clean as well so easy to maintain the right amount of flow. Thoe Apexi State u dont have to clean them..but all that crap has to go away some how..so cleaning is a issue and what the effects on it will be after they are cleaned.

Guest RedLineGTR

u can purchase a "recharge kit" as they call it for liek $25 bucks..has a cleaner spray...soak it and then rinse it out...then spray the filter with the filter oil they provide in the kit...

Originally posted by steven

By the way really thanks for you guys the advice, and how much for the Trust panel filter Neil?

Cheers

Steven,,,I think I paid about $80.00. Mate I've used K & N filters on other Cars and Bikes,,,sure they are great,,,but you can't beat washing the filter out in warm soapy water,,rinsing it out and drying it. No way I'm ever going back to using messy oils and having to buy the recharge kits.

Neil.

you're right mate, about one months ago i just did wash my K&N air filter, but at that time i didn;t know after wash it, i need to use the recharge kits to fix it. Therefore, now i'm going to get another air filter. By the way today i just bought the Trust air filter, i felt the performace is quite similar to the K&N ones. But may be later, if i find it is better, then i will tell u guys. But actually i haven't really try hard on it yet.

Cheers. Thanks for everyone the advice