SAU Community

Alternator Weird Noise

PsYLoR

OK my car is a Car is a 93 r33 gtst, rb25det,

i went for a drive early this morning and when i came home i noticed a kind of juusssh juusssh noise almost like a belt rubbing or a kind of grindy bearing noise coming from the alternator.

The noise fades away (almost to nothing, very faint) when i turn off my lights and gets louder when lights are on and louder again with high beams on (low beam stays on with high beam) .

My voltages are 12.8 car off and 14.3 running on the PFC

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are, Is my alternator on its way out? Everything seams to work fine still?

Cool, it just sounds a bit weird to me, although i'm going to assume its from factory and has done 170***km so its probably had a hard life and time for a rebuild.

Anyone know any good places on the Gold Coast, Southport to get it checked out or to rebuild it?

It sounds like the brushes need to be replaced, can be done with the most basic of soldering skill. Though find an apprentice auto elec. and they'll probably do it alot cheaper.

Thanks for the replies, I sprayed some WD40 around and that seems to have made most of the noise go away. It was probably from all the wet weather lately. hehe