SAU Community

Engine Light Coming On In S2 Stagea

rick86

Hey guys, I have a series 2 stagea neo engine of course, and recently i have noticed the engine light comes on and the car immediately starts running rough, usually on idle at the lights or something, i worked out that giving it the "boot" irons out the problem short term, meaning the roughness goes away, but maybe in a day or 2 it comes back. i have changed the O2 censor recently, so its not that.

I have done a couple of mods, and it never happend before them. 3" front pipe and cat removal, and pod filter. i cant imgine that these mods would have caused the problem, but any suggestions are welcome.

where could i take it to get the fault codes checked?

regards,

Rick

engine light and rough running, i'd say it could be your coilpacks on the way out, its a common fault. best way to tell would be as you said, take it to someone to get the error codes read. even though the engine check light has gone out the error code stays in the fault code list, so you can look it up.

you could take it to nissan, or any good mechanic shop should have a Carman or similar to read the fault code, just ring a few mechanics and ask if they can read nissan fault codes. another option is see if one of the guys on here with consult software lives near you and can help you out.

check your fault codes

i have just bought a consult port and software which arrived today to resolve all current and future CEL issues

Hopefully its woth the venture

replacing parts at random is a bit of a hit and miss affair

Edited by 910trx

Fault codes are on this site somewhere - a search should find them after a bit! Coils usually only break down under load so i would clean the AAC valve (tutorial in the skyline DIY) and/or check your plugs first (replace with coppers gapped to .8mm).

ok guys, sourced the problem, i took it to nissan and got the fault codes checked. it is the coil packs.. cheers for your suggestions.

now for the next question.. does anyone know of or have a set for sale?

rick,

buy a set of splitfires. Unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for genunie nissan ones.....

you can find splitfires on ebay or best from japland for good pricing.

as Chris has said, just get a set of Splitfire coil packs, they have been proven to be good and reliable. you can pick them up for around the $600 mark. maybe cheaper if you shop around. shoot over to the for sale section in these forums and have a look at a few of the site registered sellers, one of them might have a SAU special going for them.

Interesting, my stag does the same thing. Only happens on start up, sounds like it runs on 5 cylinders and the engine light comes on. I turn the car off and start it again and it fixes the problem. Might have to take it to a Nissan dealer and see if its the same thing. I did the spark plugs last weekend and the coil packs look perfect not 1 single crack on them :)

I had this exact problem only a couple of weeks ago i had full service done plugs and oil and the rest checked the fault codes as suggested in this thread and indeed it was coilpacks picked up a set off jjr for $400 and problem solved so much smoother im very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...

i checked my fault codes and number 21 came up, nissan said it was coil packs, so i bought a set of used r34 turbo ones, reset the codes and put them im. but the engine light still comes on, what is fault code 21? and the guy i bought the coil packs off said they were good as gold, what else could it be???

fault code 21 is the ignition system, coilpacks are the usual suspects. ignition system problems can also include, and CAS, the wiring out to the coilpacks, or the PT's in the ecu itself.

firstly, change the coilpacks for a new set of Splitfires, it will remove any suspicion that its a coil failure. even though the guy you bought them off said they were all good, they are still second hand ones. you've got to remember that second hand ones are still around the same age as yours, and they seem to have failed. best thing when you are dealing with coil packs is to get new ones.