SAU Community

Cefiro Hard To Start

CEF33Y

Hey, got some dramas with the cefiro, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Basically when trying to start it when cold, it takes a few turns over, before it will fire one cyl, then 2, 3. Will sit there running on 4, or less cylinders, untill you touch the accelerator, then runs on all cylinders, smooth as.

Did have leaky injectors, which have since been replaced, still the same. Ive checked all vaccume lines, all seem sweet.

If it helps, it was auto, now 5 speed, although i didn't do the convo.

Also the car has been out of rego for a while (18 months) and hasn't been driven in that time. Maybe just needs a good run??

regards

Alot of RB20s struggle starting on cold, low charge or if they havent been driven in a while. Give it a good run and charge her back up, or try replacing the battery.

Mine did the same thing, struggle to start, then start on one or two cylinders and instantly fire up the remaining cylinders off momentum. To get it started I had to help it with the throttle like a good old carby. Thats Datsun I guess. Replaced the battery and leads, now it fires like new every time :P

Alot of RB20s struggle starting on cold, low charge or if they havent been driven in a while. Give it a good run and charge her back up, or try replacing the battery.

Mine did the same thing, struggle to start, then start on one or two cylinders and instantly fire up the remaining cylinders off momentum. To get it started I had to help it with the throttle like a good old carby. Thats Datsun I guess. Replaced the battery and leads, now it fires like new every time :)

Yeah, come to think of it, i had to jump start it last time, and it seemed to start better.

Once it gets rego i'll take it for a decent drive, see what happens

Cheers

Have a look at what its idling at.

With the old ground lead, mine idled at 9, 11 when revved. Since the new lead, it idles 14 volt.

Other pro's; starts almost instantly, somehow more power on acceleration (maybe wasnt getting enough spark with old lead?)

Temporary movement permit > cruise through some country roads

If police pull you up and ask, say its for rego purposes. Gotta charge up the battery, right? :D

My car does the EXACT same thing. I think it might be a bad cold start valve on mine.

Post up if you get it fixed (and I'll do the same).

Well i'll let ya know how it goes, still trying to track down a speedo cable, then sould be right for a blueslip, will take the scenic route to the workshop, try and get some kays under it.

Saying that, when I let it warm right up in the driveway, (bit of charge in the battery) it starts fine.

Will check out the earth lead too.

Hey.

So yeah, took the car for a bit of a drive, seems to be much better.

Starting first kick, smooth straight away. Guess the battery just needed a decent charge.

Was a eye opener to say the least, being completely stock its rather breathless :) , but nice and smooth, perfect for a daily. :)

Cool :)

Yeah, make it un-stock, then drive it and tell us what you think :P

Dunno why they sold poorely in Japan, as stock, theyre great for daily use.

Nah been there done that, last cefiro was modded.

Plus I cant justify having a track car, and a daily slider. :(

Just glad its running smooth, air con works too, score.

• 2 weeks later...
Nah been there done that, last cefiro was modded.

Plus I cant justify having a track car, and a daily slider. :happy:

Just glad its running smooth, air con works too, score.

G'day Glen, been ages!

Still got a Ceffie I see!

I've still got mine and it does the same, I just have to give it a little touch on the gas, and I see the volts Jump up and she's off - I don't know whether it's a bad alternator or bad battery, packs... but it'll happen every time I cold start - warm start is no issue.

I'm gonna try new coils, as the battery seems okay it's just the initial sparks don't seem to by flyin in the engine ;)

It's been a loong time since I've hit the track - mines more of a daily although Im trying to avoid driving while it's falling apart - I bought a house so the ceffie comes second now in the money pit scheme, Hope your well mate!

Yeah mate been a while!!

Picked this one up as a daily, will remain fair stock, its nice and smooth, i've got a s14 for track duties now, plus I don't need the attention from the fuzz, im too old for that shizzle.

Yeah, car is starting no probs now.

G'day Glen, been ages!

Still got a Ceffie I see!

I've still got mine and it does the same, I just have to give it a little touch on the gas, and I see the volts Jump up and she's off - I don't know whether it's a bad alternator or bad battery, packs... but it'll happen every time I cold start - warm start is no issue.

I'm gonna try new coils, as the battery seems okay it's just the initial sparks don't seem to by flyin in the engine :)

It's been a loong time since I've hit the track - mines more of a daily although Im trying to avoid driving while it's falling apart - I bought a house so the ceffie comes second now in the money pit scheme, Hope your well mate!

• 2 months later...