SAU Community

Need Cvt Oil (a.k.a Liquid Gold!) For The 80k Major Service

Hey guy,

as in the title my 350gt-8CVT is about to get the 80k major service with need to have CVT oil flush...

as far as i know, its gonna required 2 cans of 4lt (it required 7.8lt(?) correct me if i am wrong).

so before i go Nissan Aust or the NZ CVT seller i would take my luck to see if you guys have some bargains~ :D

manage to organised 1 can and prob another half can from one of forum member~so far...(unsure if it can be reused once its opened)

any1 has got spare can or "opened" left overs if you can tell me its can be reused once its opened~

PM me with the price for pick up in melb or with potage if you can ship to Melb~

Cheers guys~

Maybe ask Jon at Carizma, Richmond. He'll be able to get some for you. Just let him know his best customer, Nelson, referred you.

I am definitely going to see him when I need CVT oil. He has the network to source it for u from Japan...Even parts for the V35....

Maybe ask Jon at Carizma, Richmond. He'll be able to get some for you. Just let him know his best customer, Nelson, referred you.

I am definitely going to see him when I need CVT oil. He has the network to source it for u from Japan...Even parts for the V35....

So your Mrs wanted a non-turbo 4 door auto, but you miss having a Porsche? Then get the Porsche Panamera, I've test driven it and its a serious consideration, I've finally had enough of the issues I have to deal with having an import.

So your Mrs wanted a non-turbo 4 door auto, but you miss having a Porsche? Then get the Porsche Panamera, I've test driven it and its a serious consideration, I've finally had enough of the issues I have to deal with having an import.

what issues you been having mike?

what issues you been having mike?

Nothing too serious, just changed my expectations when it comes to cars. I've always had a soft spot for imports, but now I place more importance on integrated sat-nav that actually works and english menu items etc. The japanese import car charm has worn off now, time to join the EU I think, haha.

I believe that you will need almost 12 litres for a flush. I also have 8 litres that I brought back from Tokyo but will need to source another 4 litres. Please update us if you are successful with Carizma. It cost me $560 for 8 litres.

I believe that you will need almost 12 litres for a flush. I also have 8 litres that I brought back from Tokyo but will need to source another 4 litres. Please update us if you are successful with Carizma. It cost me $560 for 8 litres.

$560 for 8lt. is quite cheap, is that the price when u bought in Japan? becauses there is just no way to get 8Lt with $560 in Oz at all, I would buy all 8lt off you for $800~ :P

The car manaul show 8lt for CVT flush, but guess I would need to contact Nissan to confirm it.

i would like to know the same as well.

How often you need to change the fluid? Every 36 months or 80,000km?

Can't Nissan dealer change it for us? since the 350z comes with the same auto transmission on the 5 speed.

cheers

i would like to know the same as well.

How often you need to change the fluid? Every 36 months or 80,000km?

Can't Nissan dealer change it for us? since the 350z comes with the same auto transmission on the 5 speed.

cheers

I hope you're not suggesting that the 350z has the same auto transmission, as it is completely different.

I'll set the record straight as there seems to be a lot of people unsure of the details to do with the CVT.

I did the research and came up with this:

*The Nissan Extroid CVT is found in the 350GT-8 aswell as the Cedric and Gloria, but those last two had an earlier 6 speed version.

*The transmission is made for Nissan by a company called Jatco Ltd (scroll to the bottom), model designation JR006E.

*The half toroidal 'rollers' contained in that transmission are manufactured by NSK Global.

*The special oil is manufactured for Nissan by a huge company called Idemitsu Kosan.

*Based on the research data from the aforementioned company, the oil starts to lose its integrity at around the 120k mark, however Nissan recommends at or before the 100k mark.

*Some dealers will change the oil for you, others won't, depends on how much of a risk they perceive it to be, I'm sure you'll find someone to do it. Just make sure they accept liability in the event there is an issue.

The oil was developed to solve a specific problem, that is to provide traction between two surfaces under great pressure, (half toroidal rollers) in addition to being able to handle temps around 200 degrees. Strangely enough it also provides lubrication for all the other moving parts, its only when placed under great pressure that the molecules bond, therefore providing a relatively solid tractive surface for the rollers.

And yes, the oil is not cheap, but unfortunately no one makes an alternative.

Edited by GoldV35

Thank you for the summary as it sums everything up nicely. Given at the time that Toroidal CVT was developed it was a good idea but not sure because of the complexity that more things could go wrong therefore low adoption or is it because the development/cost of fluid to fulfill the needs.

Thank you for the summary as it sums everything up nicely. Given at the time that Toroidal CVT was developed it was a good idea but not sure because of the complexity that more things could go wrong therefore low adoption or is it because the development/cost of fluid to fulfill the needs.

I think it could be due to a few reasons, cost obviously being a big issue. That would only go down if consumer uptake increased which would in turn lead to further development and improvements to the manufacturing that in turn would lower cost.

Car makers such as Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi have 7 and 8 speed DSG boxes now, and it won't be too long before this technology filters down to the cheaper segment cars. And when they do, they will essentially render the toroidal CVT redundant, as they are almost as smooth and economical, most importantly though, cheaper. So there is no point developing the toroidal CVT any further IMO, and I think the execs at Nissan recognise this.

In addition, the belt/chain drive CVT's currently in use are making advancements, improving and from what I can see they have the small to medium car segment tightly in their grasp.

Car makers such as Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi have 7 and 8 speed DSG boxes now, and it won't be too long before this technology filters down to the cheaper segment cars. And when they do, they will essentially render the toroidal CVT redundant, as they are almost as smooth and economical, most importantly though, cheaper. So there is no point developing the toroidal CVT any further IMO, and I think the execs at Nissan recognise this.

In addition, the belt/chain drive CVT's currently in use are making advancements, improving and from what I can see they have the small to medium car segment tightly in their grasp.

Yes the traditional CVTs are making great leaps and are available in Oz across all segments.. because of their inherent efficientcies. A CVT works much better with a smaller engine due to its ability to keep the engine running at peak torque as much as possible. This is not possible with even the best DSG type transmission. That is why Audi still use CVT in their 2wd A4s but DSG in the A3's and the Quatro A4's. But the big Audis, the A6, A8, Q7 are all manily conventional slushmatic autos, same for Merc and BMW.

Nissan and Audi are the only people to fit CVT to larger 6 cylinder vehicles and I think that these manily FWD vehicles are not producing more torque than these transmissions can take. However, the Toroidal CVT used in RWD applications had to be capable of handling more torque and hence has this special oil and other things. FWD cars just tend to wheelspin away exces torque, but with RWD, it just loads up the transmission, until it breaks traction, or the gearbox..

However, the DSG is getting there. As a manual replacement, it works well, and with each upgrade gets closer to acceptable auto preformance for the masses..

So drive your GT-8 and enjoy it!! It is a fantastic transmission linked to a fantastic engine... It was just too good and advanced to survive out side the most exact service requirements... And as we have found, not all Japanese owners are as diligent with their servicing as we would have hoped...

So drive your GT-8 and enjoy it!! It is a fantastic transmission linked to a fantastic engine... It was just too good and advanced to survive out side the most exact service requirements... And as we have found, not all Japanese owners are as diligent with their servicing as we would have hoped...

You took the words rite outta my mouth~~~~~

As i keep saying, if someone was to swap me a 5 spd auto (apples with apples), I would keep my CVT anyday of the week....You guys who don't own one are missing out....Yes, so what, they are expensive to maintain when it comes to the fluids, but so is your girlfriend or wife....

I rest my case...

hold up one sec im slightly confused... ill try to make this easy to understand and hope someone can give me an answer.

1.this post is regarding to a gt8cvt right?

2.pw350gt is refering to a 5speed cvt auto? isnt this the same as the 350z? so nissan can do it?

3.i would understand that nissan cannot change it for the gt8cvt but can for the coupe cvt5speed? am i right or missing a point?

hope im not confusing anyone.

hold up one sec im slightly confused... ill try to make this easy to understand and hope someone can give me an answer.

1.this post is regarding to a gt8cvt right?

2.pw350gt is refering to a 5speed cvt auto? isnt this the same as the 350z? so nissan can do it?

3.i would understand that nissan cannot change it for the gt8cvt but can for the coupe cvt5speed? am i right or missing a point?

hope im not confusing anyone.

I can't believe people are still asking these questions when I laid it all out on a silver platter for them in post #11, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Maybe this will help all those new to V35s....

V35s came in:

1. 6 speed manual

2. 5 speed tiptronic auto

3. 8 speed CVT tiptronic auto (only made for V35 sedans, Series 1)

How do you know if you have a CVT? look at the shift lever surround, it will say CVT....

If you don't have a CVT, your 5 speed auto will take on the generic auto transmission oil (readily available). If you have the CVT, it needs a not-so-readily-available auto transmission oil....

My preference is for a CVT gearbox as in normal bumper-to-bumper driving and highway cruising, the CVT changes gears smoothly at under 2,000 rpms in DRIVE gear = fuel economy. But when u slap it into tiptronic mode, it changes it characteristics and can rev to almost redline....just make sure that when u do use the tiptronic, to let your foot off the accelerator, change gear, then step on the accelerator...This 'TIP' is for those who have come from a manual transmission setup....You wouldn't change gears without clutching; would u? So please, despite the way how many drive tiptronics (like Top Gear), if u wanna prolong your auto transmission, ease off the gas b4 u change gears...Obviously this doesnt apply when u r in the DRIVE gear...

My 2 cents worth anyway....