SAU Community

Rb25 Engine

niran

Hey every one

i basically posted this in WA section because i thought it was relevant as i have a few questions about pits in WA.

I just need some help.. ive been planning to put a rb25det and gearbox into my r32 sometime soon.. i have found a person who is selling the motor by itself for $1500 and it comes with the following(as stated by seller):

"Compression tested absolutely fine, can guarantee it's a running motor.

Has turbo coils,injectors,fuel rail, some fuel lines,all vaccum lines,plenum,throttle body,sump,pick up.its a COMPLETE motor,everything for it to start and go vroom,aka it has everything that's attached to the motor minus gearbox,and starter motor etc etc.

It's a front cut motor.has all looms and ecu

and relays.

no cooler.

Has std induction piping.

NO SHAFT PLAY IN TURBO

has oil lines.

That's all i can really think off, has oil pump too.

yeh,that's all it really.

Motor run sweet in the 32 but now it's time for it to go std so i can sell it with rb20.

NO FLY WHEEL either."

Basically I would first of all like to know should I go and buy this engine and then later buy a box again when I have the money and then do the conversion into my car. Secondly should I do it myself or should I go to Kyp and get them to install the engine and gearbox.

Also would it be better if I brought this and then gave to kyp/do it myself or should I just save up more money and then buy a half cut from kyp themselves and get them to install everything at the same time?

Some more questions I have is what else would I need to have this conversion done.. so far Im basically thinking I need the fly wheel, starter motor, gearbox, clutch.. What else? And would somebody be able to clarify do I need to use a shorter tail shaft and how would I go by doing this (make a custom on, install a rb25 one or can I simply just use the rb20 tail shaft).

I would also like to know if I did choose to do the conversion myself how hard would it be to get over pits? How much does it cost to book it in and get all the plates changed (engine number) and so on.

Final question is, the engine itself is out off the car (the rb25 that's for sale) how would I be able to check to see that the engine is in good condition and compression throughout the cylinders are good?

Thanks all help and opinions appreciated

Niran

Edited by niran

1500 is pretty cheap for the motor, but after that your looking at another 1500 for the gearbox ect so it all starts to add up,

do you have the knowledge and tools required to do the conversion yourself confidently? if not then leave it to the experts or im sure someone on the forums will give you a hand (i know f**k all so not me :D)

as far as im aware there are a few 32's with 25's in em w/o compliance, unless the cop that pulled you over knows the differences between the motors, there is no way in hell they can pick it apart

1500 is pretty cheap for the motor, but after that your looking at another 1500 for the gearbox ect so it all starts to add up,

do you have the knowledge and tools required to do the conversion yourself confidently? if not then leave it to the experts or im sure someone on the forums will give you a hand (i know f**k all so not me :D )

as far as im aware there are a few 32's with 25's in em w/o compliance, unless the cop that pulled you over knows the differences between the motors, there is no way in hell they can pick it apart

Hey mate

that’s what i was thinking about the price also hence why i thought to go for it now and that way while i have it at home outside the car i could install all new water lines and vac lines and also get the rocker cover and all painted up before having to drop it in.. yer that is true about the gearbox.. hmm i think it should be alright and that’s what i was thinking as long as i remove the cover that says rb25 i don’t think the cops would be able to tell much difference.. However my problem what about the engine number itself for the engine? as it would not match up with the VIN plates.

hmmmm, for dropping the 25 on, your flywheel of the the 20 will fit the 25, if your keeping the 20 box no need to modify the tail shaft and when you are going to go 25 box, got to change the speedo sensor there is a topic on this on the diy section there is also a section there about a 25 conversion.

as for licensing i paid around 340+pit visits (i got yellowed for my 26) to get it all engineered

Hi Niran!

a long motor without anything attached is 1400 from KYP?

from what welshpool pits told me you can legally have 20% increase in capacity and dont have to go through engineering

so pits at $83.50 + some of your time

if your gonna get KYP to install it you might as well buy the motor/gearbox from them

might wanna factor in for a new clutch while your at it

also there engines come with warranty

not sure about the tailshaft part sorry

hey guys

flash89 - yer man i saw that DIY also and read through it and my plan was to actually go for a rb25 box at the same time reason for that being is my rb20 box has lost reverse .. And for the licensing that sounds pretty good man i thought it would have been way more but that’s a not to bad. fly wheel wise i actually brought a rb25 flywheel a while back so its sitting around somewhere in the shed.. Will have to dig through the parts

r32 Driver- hey man was looking at just basically going for a half cut from uncle ben so that way i get the box and engine at once and whatever i have left i.e brakes ill either transfer over myself or just end up selling it on forum.

I'll defiantly go have a talk to Ben tomorrow and see what he says about everything and at the same time get a ruff estimation price for everything..do you know by any chance if the clutch in the rb20 is able to be used on the rb25 box.. The reason i ask this is because i changed my clutch to a heavy duty brass button exedy about 2 months back.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Niran

Yes, the clutch can be used with the 25 box.

If you are going 25 box straight away then you will need a custom tailshaft. It's just the front half that needs to be shortened and have the 25 yoke welded on, then the whole lot balanced. I had a custom 2-piece with heavy duty servicable uni's, new centre bearing and a new 25 slipyoke made by Final Drive for ~$700. Also need to modify the gearbox Xmember as the mounts sit 50mm further back on the 25 box and you need to do something with the speedo sender (I just used an untouched Navara sender as I have different diff ratios).

Dropping a 25 in is pretty straightforward. You'll need the RB25DET engine loom, 25DET ECU and other than that it's pretty much swap 'n' drop.

As for licensing, as long as it looks like it's done properly you shouldn't have too many dramas (read: don't dodgy things up or cut corners). Hell, they licensed my RB30DET and that's 50% more capacity! :P (AND it had zipties holding the cooler pipe off the engine fan!)

Edited by bubba

Yes, the clutch can be used with the 25 box.

If you are going 25 box straight away then you will need a custom tailshaft. It's just the front half that needs to be shortened and have the 25 yoke welded on, then the whole lot balanced. I had a custom 2-piece with heavy duty servicable uni's, new centre bearing and a new 25 slipyoke made by Final Drive for ~$700. Also need to modify the gearbox Xmember as the mounts sit 50mm further back on the 25 box and you need to do something with the speedo sender (I just used an untouched Navara sender as I have different diff ratios).

Dropping a 25 in is pretty straightforward. You'll need the RB25DET engine loom, 25DET ECU and other than that it's pretty much swap 'n' drop.

As for licensing, as long as it looks like it's done properly you shouldn't have too many dramas (read: don't dodgy things up or cut corners). Hell, they licensed my RB30DET and that's 50% more capacity! :D (AND it had zipties holding the cooler pipe off the engine fan!)

hey man

thanks for that, i went and checked out some half cuts today and i think I’m going to go with buying a half cut and then do the conversion myself, as for the tail shaft that will probably be my biggest concern but besides that all should be sweet.

The pits hopefully will go all well and don’t worry i won’t cut any corners i mean if im going to do it, i might as well do it all right at once so i don’t have problems later on down the track.

Cheers

thanks for that, i went and checked out some half cuts today and i think I’m going to go with buying a half cut and then do the conversion myself, as for the tail shaft that will probably be my biggest concern but besides that all should be sweet.

theres also a bit of electrical if you still want certain things to work on your 32, it's fun pulling the wiring loom out, removing things, then getting everything back, the tail shaft can be send off to someone else to do, try finding an auto sparky who wants to go through you 32 wiring :D do your research on the electrical side as it's not just drop and play

not to sure if there are a lot of these in DIY section but keep us updated as it may help others when making the same decision :D

Hey man , if i go ahead doing it myself then ill try also put some photos up off a DIY. there is already one in that section but like you said i could always add to it and help other people who are thinking about this as an option

theres also a bit of electrical if you still want certain things to work on your 32, it's fun pulling the wiring loom out, removing things, then getting everything back, the tail shaft can be send off to someone else to do, try finding an auto sparky who wants to go through you 32 wiring :) do your research on the electrical side as it's not just drop and play

hey man

yep i will defiantly go and get it done at a proper place for the tale shaft as it has to be balanced and welded again to the yoke.. for the electrical side however i will get both(rb20 and rb25) ecu pin out diagrams and be using the rb25 ecu and rb25 . whereas for the parts where some wiring needs to be changed ill try it out myself and see how it goes.

Thanks again guys, Niran

How much does Ben want for a full Rb25 conversion with the Rb25 box fitted?

Hey man

um he wanted 3.2k for the half cut and then about 3 k for installation.. so i think I’m going to end up buying the half cut off him and then doing then the conversion myself.

cops- even if u had a big sign in the engine bay saying "engine swap to rb25det" they wouldnt know what they were looking at. -cop who pulled me over thought my car was a GTR and he'd know.. apparantly he owned one too :dry:

pits may say something if they notice. i got my engine rego'd to the car few weeks ago, can cost u thousands now thanks to emmission test.. soon wont be worth the cost doing swaps like this..

in saying threw an rb25 into a 180 last week :banana:

Edited by Char