SAU Community

hks 2835 on rb20?

makaveli

HPI reckoned the HKS GT25 series (2530 2540 2535) were ideal as a "low mount" more efficient turbo upgrade of course the different turbo's will have different characteristics (2540 more top end power) (2530 a bit less top more mid) (2835 is a little different, bigger compressor wheel, same size exhaust wheel...gives a nice even band .. more torque) talk to Supraman for a price

[email protected]

he can get you a price on SECOND HAND one's

NEW... check out

www.hks.com.au

Loz

well wen it comes to gettin the turbo ill make sure i have a power fc, injectors, fuel reg, and cams.

At the moment I have a 3" turbo back exaust that goes 3 1/2 after the highflow cat, pod, fmic shorty, bosch 044 pump, avc-r and soon catch can.

wat do u think mate?

well at 1.5 you should make 240RWKW at least....

Tyre smokin fun.....

the thing is makaveli the torque will be right up there... so you'll have more "pull" power... if that makes sense...

240 is a fair bit at the wheel's..... I'm sure more could be made if you wanted it....

get a clutch too bro... you'll need it

HPI reckoned the HKS GT25 series (2530 2540 2835) were ideal as a "low mount"

The 2835 is not part of the GT25 series of turbos. You are thinking of the 2535. The 2835 as the "28##" suggests is part of the GT28 range.

If looking at using a 2835 i think you will find that it needs to be used with the HKS exhaust manifold and an external wastegate to get worhtwhile results.

As for the power it can make, well the info i have rates the turbo at around 380ps, as opposed to 320ps of the 2530. So about 230-240rwkws would be my guess at around 1.2bar.

This is a huge leap of faith, but my turbo is rated at 430hp and is not ball bearing and my engine is 100% stock, no cams not even cam gears and i get 8psi at 4200rpm, so expect you should be able to expect better response then this.

Also dont forget your old RB20 is liekly to be around 10 years old now, so figures can vary from engine to engine depending on condition.

The 2835 is capable of making around 270rwkw when you use an external gate and hks manifold at around 1.5 bar if you believe what HPI prints (I'm starting to doubt them a bit after the numbers their CA18T is supposedly putting out).

At 1 bar you will be well below the efficiency window of the turbo so wont get any real benefit from using it as it will be laggy and not make a huge amount of power.

That said, it will make bloody good power if you are willing to wind in the boost but don't expect too much below about 3500-4000. You'd also need all the support systems in place like fuel, intercooler, ecu etc.

The 2835 is capable of making around 270rwkw when you use an external gate and hks manifold at around 1.5 bar if you believe what HPI prints

Wasnt that figure on an SR20 with cams and cam gears? Is it fair to compare an SR20 power output at 1.5bar to a std RB20?

I seem to be following you around the forum like a bad smell Dave :rofl:

I seem to be following you around the forum like a bad smell Dave :D

Leave me alone :) I figure you're just looking for interesting reading too.

I'd forgotten about the cams, thanks for reminding me. I still think it's a fair call, not saying that it'll make stupid power on all cars, just giving an idea of the potential flow of the turbo itself. 270rwkw is a shit load of power for any 2 litre engine to handle and is more than most people will aim for.

Plus you're talking about an sr20 which is still a two litre engine so ulimately with the same sort of mods they can flow a similar amount of air through them.

All that aside, HKS make some bloody good turbos so I wouldn't be surprised to hear of even bigger numbers coming from Japan.

Looking at the dollars needed for a full 2835 setup, that is turbo, exhaust manifold and wastegate, (new very $$$, 2nd hand rare and still rather pricey)

...is it worthwhile being one of the first to bolt a HKS GT-RS onto an RB20?

You would imagine more power then a 2530, and still bolts to std exhaust manifold and is still responsive enough for the street.

Who knows what could be achieved if you do as per the Jap S13/14/15 boys and use one of these turbos with a tubular exhaust manifold.

I haven't seen a GT-rs with a T3 flange yet. Do HKS make them at this stage?

There have been a few guys looking/waiting for them for a while now. Apparently there is one for a WRX, not that that helps any of us :)

A mate of a mate makes around 270rwkw with one of these on a highly modified SR20 (at least when its running and not cracking heads)

Guess you got online before me tonight Roy :)