SAU Community

Speed camera's and politics

Bozz

In Victoria, a few months ago they reduced the limit of speeding to 3km/h over before getting flashed. So 63km/h in a 60 zone and it's $135. 103km/h in a 100 zone and it's $135 etc...

This was announced by Bracksy that it was all for road safety, and they're wasting our money now on full page ads in the major newspapers (and on telly) showing us the hypothetical difference 5km/h can make.

We all know 5km/h can make or break an accident, but consider this circumstance which can happen just as EASILY as what they are advertising -

One driver is doing 65km/h and another is doing 60km/h. Lets say, 5 minutes later, a kid runs out in front of the driver doing 60km/h and he just manages to stop in time. The driver doing 65km/h would have been WAY past the exact point where the kid would have run out, and if lucky, the driver doing 65km/h would see the kid in the distance in his rear view mirror.

Anyway, back to the main topic, if the govt was indeed geniune on reducing the road toll, and genuinely sure that 5km/h faster was life threatening, why didnt they simply reduce all speed limits by 10km/h and leave the penalty for doing 10% over the speed limit, as per the ADR? Why? Because that would return less revenue!

Give it a year or two, things will get even worse than this. It will be even if you hit 60km/h then you'll get fined. The reason is the general public is too stupid to write a letter, complain to the local MP, do a burnout outside the local MP's house in protest, etc etc etc.

/rant off

Guest Stocker

The problem with the general public is that they believe everything the government, police and road authorities say. The average driver is flat out controlling their car at 60km/h, and knows absolutely nothing about driving...next time you go past an accident, look at the skidmarks..everyone just locks the brakes up, and goes straight into what they were trying to avoid...this is why ABS is claimed to be such a safety improvement..

So, the authorities spend heaps on bull**** advertising. General public thinks, well, they are making a big deal about it, and I am too thick to think about it, so it must be true that any speed over the speed limit is instant death.

I sure hope that this speed camera bull**** doesn't go any further..some countries have had severe backlash from aggressive speed camera campaigns, but I think Australians generally are too apathetic to do anything...and the way things go in this country, it will be a lot worse before long.

Regards, Andrew.

In regards to the 3km/h limit thing I am pretty sure it hasnt passed parliament yet - but could be wrong.

even RACV said it was stupid, as ADR rules specify that a BRAND NEW 2002 model car, or any other year for that matter, that the speedo only has to be 10% accurate... so technically, you could pick up your brand new Holden Astra and drive off at 60km/h and get booked for speeding cos your actual speed was 65km/h - bloody stupid I think.

Guest Boxhead

i think that some speed limits are redicolous... for eg, my local street, for yous that know it terranora rd, everyone bloke and his dog do it at 80, teh limit is 60.. and anyone pushing it can do it at 100...

Originally posted by peteSmith

In regards to the 3km/h limit thing I am pretty sure it hasnt passed parliament yet - but could be wrong.

even RACV said it was stupid, as ADR rules specify that a BRAND NEW 2002 model car, or any other year for that matter, that the speedo only has to be 10% accurate... so technically, you could pick up your brand new Holden Astra and drive off at 60km/h and get booked for speeding cos your actual speed was 65km/h - bloody stupid I think.

It is being enforced in Victoria, countless people have been booked at 3km/h over the limit, they have complained and have been told that they could have killed people by travelling at such ridiculously insane speeds.

I know three people that have been done 3km/h over the limit, two in a 60km/h zone and one in a 100km/h zone.