SAU Community

What Turbo Does Stock R33 S2 Have?

G'day guys.

First question would be, what turbo does stock r33 s2 have? (Please give us good details size, brand,... etc)

the Second question is..

I already purchased my car and one thing came across my mind.

It is a 98 R33, It had HKS Air filter.

I hear the air - induction noise is quite loud, compare to other ones that i driven.

Is this issue with wastegate? or is it just the nature of a HKS Air filter.

I had another r33 skyline with a K&N pod filter before and induction noise wasn't loud as this one.

Done a compression test with this one so i guess it's not leaking for the engine, and i also thought if it had a screamer pipe it should of been louder?

any thoughts?

Cheers !

R33 series 2 should have Nissan on the compressor housing.

Its made by AiResearch, a division of Garrett, should be able to find the code '45v2' written on it.

Don't really know specific details, search '45v2' on this forum you should find some details.

RE: induction noise, nothing to do with the wastegate. The turbo's induction pipe and air filter alters how loud the spooling noise is.

and i also thought if it had a screamer pipe it should of been louder?

What are ya trying to say?

do you have a screamer installed and you don't think its loud enough?

but again, the wastegate/dump, has nothing to do with the induction noise...

Mate, as members above have noted...

When you say it sounds "loud" are you referring to the spooling sound or the sucking sound of the Pod?

I have to say, I have one of the loudest sounding R33's on the road...sounds like a jet ... and I absolutely love it...like others have suggested...this depends on your Turbo piping, Air filter, intercooler and blow-off valve...

Do you not want it to be loud? Simple, get rid of the blow off valve (if you have one) and purchase a stock one and plumb it back. Get rid of the Pod filter (if you have one) and go back to the 'underwater diving' snorkel stock panel filter....and that ought to do it...you should find the car will be very quiet now...and whilst you're at it, get rid of your exhaust too...then it will be less noise!

hah bro you'll know if it has a screamer pipe if you go near the redline and it almost pops your ears :D

yeah and sounds like the exhaust just fell off when it makes full boost, well thats how my exhaust mate describes it lol

personaly I love the noise of my external gate :blink:

cant say the same for the internal gate screamers tho