SAU Community

Yellow Sticker Within 10 Minutes Of Double Demerits Starting

reNEGaDe88

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been through this process many times, some recorded some not, and you have every right to ask them why they would like to pop the bonnet and what they are looking for, i do this everytime and not once have i got a sticker cause i know my car is 100% legal. if you have done nothing wrong they CANNOT search the car, they do need reasonable susspision and you have every right to ask for it and also record their anwer, i find most times this prevents them from searching at all.

It is a case of if you stood there and let them do it, tuff s**t, if you know you have done nothing then man up and make them do their job correctly, and make sure you record them. you do not need permission to record them either, yes that is 100% correct as long as you are part of the recording you need no permission, they record you 95% of the time, and do they ever tell you??

I have been through this process many times, some recorded some not, and you have every right to ask them why they would like to pop the bonnet and what they are looking for, i do this everytime and not once have i got a sticker cause i know my car is 100% legal. if you have done nothing wrong they CANNOT search the car, they do need reasonable susspision and you have every right to ask for it and also record their anwer, i find most times this prevents them from searching at all.

It is a case of if you stood there and let them do it, tuff s**t, if you know you have done nothing then man up and make them do their job correctly, and make sure you record them. you do not need permission to record them either, yes that is 100% correct as long as you are part of the recording you need no permission, they record you 95% of the time, and do they ever tell you??

If you want anything to hold up in court you need to tell them

You're driveway up to your letterbox, side of the road, car parks, etc... all count...put in on your property (carport / garage / side of house / backyard) and they can't touch it.

I'd beg to differ. I had coppers sticker me in my own driveway (granted they had switched on their disco lights as I rounded the corner onto my street and proceded to continue to my driveway 50m up the road). I wrote up a post about it a few months ago, should still be in this section too collecting dust/views. I just made the error of unlocking my car door when I was asked to in my own driveway so as the copper could sticker my car. Long story short though I didn't take the matter lying down, and contacted the Snr Sgt at the South Freo Metro division and had it quashed after a visit to the pits to prove it was road worthy, and didn't cost me a cent, did get an apology from the Snr Sgt himself for his staff wasting my time though.

Guess it all comes down to knowing what you can and cannot do, because you don't want to NOT let a copper into/search your car and actually get arrested for it as opposed to copping the sticker/fine/whatever and dealing with it afterwards.

If you're parked past your letterbox and a cop wants to see your shit - demand a search warrant. It's your property.

There might be technicalities on weather or not he could have provided the lights came on before you enter your property - if you're being pulled over, you're meant to stop on the side of the road...not pull into a driveway.

If you want anything to hold up in court you need to tell them

i see where your comming from but i have spoken to many snr officers about this and they have all said it is 100% legal which means it will hold up in court as long as you are part of the conversation.

The confusion over the recording of a conversation is due to the differing laws concerning it. If you wish to record someone on a telephone you must inform them. Live in person conversations need no permission.

Reasonable suspicion is what ever the officer can come up with at the time. So it will be "I suspect there are weapon/drugs secreted in your vehicle" there's your suspicion. If you want to fight it, it will cost money down the road and you possibly end up on the person of interest list. I wouldn't bother unless they disassemble the car on the road side. Then it would get fun.

Just go along with their requests, when it starts getting a bit here and there or you feel you are being discriminated against/picked on then start recording making sure to get them to state badge numbers. I've never met a really unreasonable police officer.

Sucks to hear that man, hope your sticker comes off easily.

I had pretty much exactly the same deal with the guys who stickered me, and I went and made a complaint about it, and their officer told me that they do have the right to inspect your car, because what they 'suspect' you of is not complying with the Road Vehicles Compliance Act [Or something of the sort, I've forgotten the exact name].

My problem was that while I was showing one officer my perfectly stock engine bay I'd also forgotten to lock the car, and looked around to see the other dude had gotten into the drivers side and was fiddling with things. I said something like "Hey, that's my car and you've not asked to be in there, get out" and then ther officer at the bonnet restrained me while I tried to walk over and ask the one inside to get out.

Thing is though, that the police are then 'allowed' to treat that as you acting suspiciously, as if you've got all the pannels of your car lined with bombs/guns/knives and rip the pannels off. They call this a 'chance discovery'... Even though they had to dismantle the car. Also, do you think the police have tools for dismantling a whole car? I mean, I know my 33 is held together with pretty much the exact same screw the whole way through, but still...

They also claimed that they could take it for a drive around the block, but this is something I highly doubt could ever happen bearing in mind how much liability they'd be for insurance stuff?

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but when I made my complaint this is what they told me, and their boss just kinda shrugged and gave me the "Pfft, well, what can ya' do mate?" sort of talk. Also their boss said that the privacy act states that only one involved party needs to know that the conversation is being recorded. I tried to do mine, but it was raining and my phone got drenched = absolutely no use.

There's a dude on here I saw post once who's a lawyer and knows a lot about this sort of stuff, if you read this man could you give us your opinion please?

Sorry to hear about the sticker.

Unfortunately the lesson to learn here is 'comply'. Being a smart arse wastes police time, that pisses them off and you look like you have something to hide.

Police can search cars, pull them to bits, drive them and plenty of other things all under thier authority.

If you don't know what you are talking about just shut up in front of them and go along with it politely. You will then be able to examine any breach of behaviour with an official complaint.

Certainly know your rights but, really what do you have to hide? If the car is road legal you get a better reaction being co-operative.

Most of these sob stories I hear are as a result of some dumb ass mate telling you that you have some sort of bogus right against police searches on your car or you have been watching too many US police dramas on TV.

Sucks to hear that man, hope your sticker comes off easily.

I had pretty much exactly the same deal with the guys who stickered me, and I went and made a complaint about it, and their officer told me that they do have the right to inspect your car, because what they 'suspect' you of is not complying with the Road Vehicles Compliance Act [Or something of the sort, I've forgotten the exact name].

My problem was that while I was showing one officer my perfectly stock engine bay I'd also forgotten to lock the car, and looked around to see the other dude had gotten into the drivers side and was fiddling with things. I said something like "Hey, that's my car and you've not asked to be in there, get out" and then ther officer at the bonnet restrained me while I tried to walk over and ask the one inside to get out.

Thing is though, that the police are then 'allowed' to treat that as you acting suspiciously, as if you've got all the pannels of your car lined with bombs/guns/knives and rip the pannels off. They call this a 'chance discovery'... Even though they had to dismantle the car. Also, do you think the police have tools for dismantling a whole car? I mean, I know my 33 is held together with pretty much the exact same screw the whole way through, but still...

They also claimed that they could take it for a drive around the block, but this is something I highly doubt could ever happen bearing in mind how much liability they'd be for insurance stuff?

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but when I made my complaint this is what they told me, and their boss just kinda shrugged and gave me the "Pfft, well, what can ya' do mate?" sort of talk. Also their boss said that the privacy act states that only one involved party needs to know that the conversation is being recorded. I tried to do mine, but it was raining and my phone got drenched = absolutely no use.

There's a dude on here I saw post once who's a lawyer and knows a lot about this sort of stuff, if you read this man could you give us your opinion please?

You weren't co-operative. In fact from your own description you acted suspiciously, like someone who is trying to hide something. Even though it was caused by assuming police can't search a car without owner permission.

They didn't do anything wrong. Next time don't tell police what they can and can't do without knowing you are absolutely right. You weren't right this time so just take the lesson and move on.

Guys, remember, cops are meant to protect the public, so if you're IN public - they can search whoever and whatever they like. It's not a perfect world we live in, but get used to it. We have it better here than alot of other countries.

It's not like they literally search your entire car removing panels, and strip search you for bombs, before asking for 3 forms of ID and a passport before they let you go.

Don't do half-assed jobs and you shouldn't have any problems either getting a yellow in the first place, or getting the yellow OFF and getting your money back.

<br />Cops put the sticker on straight if you have been cooperative and increase the angle according to how much you pissed them off.<br /><br />I heard.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

This is true, my mates mum works as admin at the pits (forgot where) and a mechanic i use to deliver to just got a job at the pits, he said in osbourne park. They both confirmed that they have been told to comply with the cops wishes of the bigger the angle the less of a chance to get it off first time. Of course its not a written rule but it seems to happen alot.

If its on a 90degree angle, good luck on getting it off first time around.

Cops can also, if you already have a sticker, give you another one but with less time.

Cheers for the informative posts boys. I agree that with cops it how you act towards them. I have been lucky with cops before. Pulled over and no problems. But last sticker I got was in March just after I bought the car, didn't know a head light was out. Fair enough.

I jumped to the conclusion that I was in for a sticker when I got pulled over this time. And then from what I read wrong on previous posts is they don't have the right to touch car - WRONG. They can pull it apart if they please. So I should have continued to be polite and I might have got off.

Anyway work if nearly done for pit inspection. See how I go...

Police can search cars, pull them to bits, drive them and plenty of other things all under thier authority.

I believe they need 'reasonable suspicion' to search vehicles, except for those new stop and search laws (passed as legislature yet??!!) which give the Police arbitary powers to stop and search in certain areas.

So why not ask on what grounds they intend to search? I would ask. Why not? You can ask and still be polite w/out attitude. If they are difficult or whatever and refuse to tell you on what grounds they are 'reasonably suspicious' they I would let them know they don't have my consent and I 'd ask for badge numbers etc.

Edited by Tony de Wonderful

at the end of the day a lot of us mod cars knowing that they dont comply with the law.

We then drive around in an illegally modified car.

So why do a lot of the guys on here take it out on the cops doing their job?

We run the risk of having the mods installed and driving round with them, then bitch at the cops for pulling you up on it?

You played the game and on that occassion you lost.

In a court of law that could never be considered reasonable grounds in itself.

Why are they suspicious is what matters, the 'why' needs to be reasonable.

Why? Because the Cop said God told him you had an illegal BOV? He doesn't like you face, or maybe he HEARD your BOV?

Which one is 'reasonable'?