SAU Community

Yellow Sticker Within 10 Minutes Of Double Demerits Starting

reNEGaDe88

Well I was driving my R32 to a mates place at midnight on thursday/friday Just as double demerits were in effect for the festive season. I was driving like a grandma past the BP next to the Windsor in South Perth on Mill point road. Saw two cops next to their cop car in the parking lot. I thought here we go, thats it.

So I continue to baby it over the hill, then see them blast on lights and I pull over. I straight away get out and hand the cop my license, to make their life easier. He asks what I am doing, usual stuff, I then sit down on curb feeling sorry for myself. Assuming I get a yellow sticker 3 weeks before Motorvation. And the cop opens my drivers door and pops my bonnet. I say hey, you can't do that and click it back down in place. He then tells me yes he can and if I do it again he will arrest me. I was on my way to my mates place to drop him off at the airport in the morning. So If it wasn't for that I would have called his bluff, and taken a night in lock up over a yellow. So anyway, he pops the bonnet and proceeds to look for faults.

I ask the other cop if he doesn't need warrant or reasonable suspicion to search the car/open bonnet. He says cops can. He also says that cops are allowed to dismantle a car on the side of the road if they feel the need. Cos they have to make sure a car is road legal and complies. Anyway I cop a sticker for too low, too loud, pillar gauges, catch can, coilovers, steering wheel.

So my question is, can they REALLY pop my bonnet without my persmission? Cos I want to just park, lock up and walk away from car next time. Cos I wasn't speeding, they could RBT me if they like, I wasn't doing anything wrong. Can they order me to open car? I would wait for them to leave before I unlocked my car. I would leave the area after they ran their normal shenanigans. But when It comes to copping a sticker I am not up for that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cop asks you must comply or you are breaking the law and no you cannot stop them popping your bonnet

PS:: they can even sticker the car if you walk away from it .

You do not have to be present

IE :: you walk out of a shop and all of a sudden see a yellow sticker on your car is legal

cop asks you must comply or you are breaking the law and no you cannot stop them popping your bonnet

IE :: you walk out of a shop and all of a sudden see a yellow sticker on your car is legal

How sure are you about being able to sticker you when you have say parked the car at the shopping centre..

i would really like to see the law sections behind that... as i highly doubt that is possible.

And the cop opens my drivers door and pops my bonnet. I say hey, you can't do that and click it back down in place. He then tells me yes he can and if I do it again he will arrest me. I was on my way to my mates place to drop him off at the airport in the morning. So If it wasn't for that I would have called his bluff, and taken a night in lock up over a yellow. So anyway, he pops the bonnet and proceeds to look for faults.

I ask the other cop if he doesn't need warrant or reasonable suspicion to search the car/open bonnet. He says cops can. He also says that cops are allowed to dismantle a car on the side of the road if they feel the need. Cos they have to make sure a car is road legal and complies. Anyway I cop a sticker for too low, too loud, pillar gauges, catch can, coilovers, steering wheel.

So my question is, can they REALLY pop my bonnet without my persmission? Cos I want to just park, lock up and walk away from car next time. Cos I wasn't speeding, they could RBT me if they like, I wasn't doing anything wrong. Can they order me to open car? I would wait for them to leave before I unlocked my car. I would leave the area after they ran their normal shenanigans. But when It comes to copping a sticker I am not up for that.

Did you get their details? Both of them sound like the "I am above the law" type of cops. They do need a warrant, reasonable suspicion or your permission to search through your car. Obviously it's just sensible to allow them that permission though. As for the dismantling the car on the side of the road, he was dribbling shit, it's practically vandalism what he's describing.

If they were being smart arses & you could pretty much tell they are going to sticker you, I will make it as hard for them as possible, and I wouldn't hesitate in pissing them off if they aren't showing me respect. If they respect me I'll respect them, it's a 2-way street when it comes to police & public from my point of view. By then I would have already stopped them talking, telling them the conversation is going to be recorded & to start the conversation over, starting with their rank & names. :blink:

How sure are you about being able to sticker you when you have say parked the car at the shopping centre..

i would really like to see the law sections behind that... as i highly doubt that is possible.

Definitely stupid bit I've heard of one case a guy at a shopping centre came back to his car with the sticker on the windscreen & paperwork under the wiper blade....definite WTF moment if that ever happened

sounds like your car had mods which would attract a yellow...if the cops were ever questioned they would say that they had every right to inspect your vehicle for possible unroadworthy mods based on exhaust/road height FMIC as being a/m additions.

their suspicion having been vindicated by the mods they found which may not have been permitted. Basically I've never seen anyone get away with 'you don't have reasonable suspicion/a warrant' to throw any evidence out, not in WA anyway.

Definitely stupid bit I've heard of one case a guy at a shopping centre came back to his car with the sticker on the windscreen & paperwork under the wiper blade....definite WTF moment if that ever happened

Stickers go on the inside of the windscreen...how did they get into his car to put the sticker on?

sounds like u got f#@*ed. and yes the cops have the right 2 search ur car but they can not dismantle anything.

question off topic whats are the rules will recording conversation will it hold up in court and do u have to tell the cops if ur recording them

They can search the car for drugs, meaning removing panels and stuff to search placed you could hide stuff. But its not exempt to dismantling the car itself. Way too much power.

Pretty sure they can't sticker the car if you are not there and car is not unlocked. Also due to sticker going on the inside.

They can't sticker you if your on your property. You just say sorry, I am home and not on public roads. But then they will probably harass you for other stuff or put your car in as a vehicle of interest so cops everywhere will harass you. So you never win.

Will definitely slap stock stuff in again and go to pits. But just a rubbish system.

I expect to be pulled for driving a skyline. But for him to be on such a mission to pop my bonnet and sniff out things for a yellow was a joke. I was awestruck when he just opened my door and popped the bonnet. Absolute dog.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ho...ce-t241246.html

have a GOOOOOOOD long read of that. I did. I started at the beginning and finished it. read every post.

you could have all done something about you idiots. but no, you're all sitting back and taking it square in the butthole. WTF.

Vehicles can be stickered in public, and public thoroughfares.

You're driveway up to your letterbox, side of the road, car parks, etc... all count...put in on your property (carport / garage / side of house / backyard) and they can't touch it.

Alot of whingers here - you should have jumped on the bandwagons in the Hoon Discussion area - maybe could have done something about all this bullshit .... maybe.

Man up - go get the sticker off.

Next time..get details - twofold, he is a public servant and isn't allowed to refuse to give you his name, rank and ID number...and if he's doing his job properly he has no reason to. Push your luck a little next time - if he arrests you without a good reason, he can kiss your ass, and his job goodbye.

Edited by Nic_A31