SAU Community

Would Like To Borrow Or Buy Cheap

hey guys..

i'm currently suffering some intermittent missing issues with my r33..

i was wondering if anyone had a spare set of S2 R33 gt-st ignition coils that are working that i may be able to borrow or buy cheap for testing purposes.. i have a feeling it is them but not 100% obviously.. :(

if you could let me know that would be great..

either pm or give me a ring on 0402945546... i'm also happy to leave some collateral as i know what it's like when you lend something and it never comes back..

cheers

If all else fails I think I have a set out of a S2 lying around as well.

Have you tried running it at night without the coil pack cover on, to see if there's a lightning show from a cracked coil/s?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys...

thanks heaps for the responses and also the lend of a set of coils...

but as luck would have it, it was NOT the coil packs... i'd done the oligitorry clean of the existing coils. checked for cracks. etc..

after that didn't worked pulled out the MAP sensor and cleaned it, cleaned all the plugs i could get to and that didn't do it either....

so decided to pull the kick panel off and have a look for any earth wires or something around the ECU.. and viola, found the culprit.. there was a wire spliced into with a scotch lock. the splice was right up near the ECU plug and nothing had been tapped up to support it.. so after fiddling with the wire and having the problem come and go i tapped it up and tapped it against the loom.. so far today with driving around town flat out, normal driving, on the secondary boost (12psi) and hitting a rough dirt road, no dramas..

prior to al this i had noticed that when i cornered around a round a bout that the problem had the tendancy to show and stay or show and disapear.. my theory (which seems so far to work) is the weight of the scotch lock was causing the wire to move in the loom and in turn causing a short..

i believe it was spliced into for the dual stage boost controller.. so i'm going to double check that theory witht he mechanic and then get them to solder it in properly and tap it up better..

but VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!! :)

so nice having a car that runs well again... :cool:

hey guys...

thanks heaps for the responses and also the lend of a set of coils...

but as luck would have it, it was NOT the coil packs... i'd done the oligitorry clean of the existing coils. checked for cracks. etc..

after that didn't worked pulled out the MAP sensor and cleaned it, cleaned all the plugs i could get to and that didn't do it either....

so decided to pull the kick panel off and have a look for any earth wires or something around the ECU.. and viola, found the culprit.. there was a wire spliced into with a scotch lock. the splice was right up near the ECU plug and nothing had been tapped up to support it.. so after fiddling with the wire and having the problem come and go i tapped it up and tapped it against the loom.. so far today with driving around town flat out, normal driving, on the secondary boost (12psi) and hitting a rough dirt road, no dramas..

prior to al this i had noticed that when i cornered around a round a bout that the problem had the tendancy to show and stay or show and disapear.. my theory (which seems so far to work) is the weight of the scotch lock was causing the wire to move in the loom and in turn causing a short..

i believe it was spliced into for the dual stage boost controller.. so i'm going to double check that theory witht he mechanic and then get them to solder it in properly and tap it up better..

but VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!! :)

so nice having a car that runs well again... :P

EDIT........

the wire has been checked... it has been shown that it is spliced in for the turbo timer... so it has been there since the previous owner had the vehicle... so now it is time to get out the soldering iron and fix this thing right... :)

i'd love to know why they used a scotch lock on the ECU loom... but i'll never know.... oh well.. :(