SAU Community

Weird Sounds When On Boost.....

GTS R33

Past few weeks ive noticed car making popping sounds (machine gun like/powerdrill sound when u cant drill any further) when on about 11-13psi throughout the rev range. So i turned boost controller right down and it is still doing it, but in higher rev range. Also with turned down it just spools slower but is still 10-12psi????

anyone have any ideas.....

missfire?

check your plugs and coils.

gap your plugs down cos it seems your boost is blowing out your spark.

or it could be detonation you're experiencing, what fuel are you using?

p.s. might help to list the mods your car has mate lol. then weve got some sorta idea what your engine is dealing with...

3" cat back, pod filter, hybrid intercooler, el cheapo manual boost controller go fast bits.

i only run bp ultimate fuel.

gts-t r33 series 1

it is worse when its colder temperature outside .... e.g. night and early morning

I beleive you have found richen and retard airflow point in your stock (?) ecu, once the computer senses a certain airflow it will richen the mixture and retard timing. The reason this could be happening now when it wasnt before could be due to the colder weather, colder denser air = more total air into the engine at the same boost. Try turning the boost down to stock and see what happens!

washed engine bay like 6months ago, i did clean MAF sensor a 2weeks ago... i tried winding boost down, i will try other way in case i opened it up, but as per instructions it is down as it seems to stay under 15...... holds on 10psi then higher revs when spiking over 10psi it hits the noises.

washed engine bay like 6months ago, i did clean MAF sensor a 2weeks ago... i tried winding boost down, i will try other way in case i opened it up, but as per instructions it is down as it seems to stay under 15...... holds on 10psi then higher revs when spiking over 10psi it hits the noises.

R&R for sure

I beleive you have found richen and retard airflow point in your stock (?) ecu, once the computer senses a certain airflow it will richen the mixture and retard timing. The reason this could be happening now when it wasnt before could be due to the colder weather, colder denser air = more total air into the engine at the same boost. Try turning the boost down to stock and see what happens!

^^^ What he said

how do i overcome this

Wind back the boost..... 10psi is sometimes enough for the ecu to R&R....

Your could also try re-setting the ecu and see how that goes.... If it hasn't been done for a while, it is well worth doing.....

ok dumb question, but where is ecu and how do i reset.

i am thinking of upgrading ecu system, would this also overcome this problem if it can be adjusted

to reset the ecu just unhook the battery and leave it for a while, when you hook the battery up again it will reset itself. A new ecu will solve the R&R problem as this is a feature only the stock ecu has!

if it helps, i got a sII with similar mods.. mine was making the same noise when i first bought it.. turned the boost down to stock (had to do a bit of trial an error with the manual boost controller and the boost gauge) running 7-8psi no missfire/popping noise when foot is flat on the gas.. I tried turning the boost back up a few weeks ago up to 11-12psi, which made it missfire slightly again.

stock turbo / ecu doesn't like anything above 12psi

• 4 weeks later...