SAU Community

Hi, Newbie Here :)

ben-93

hey guys, my name is ben. im new here. found this site a few months ago and i am considering buying a skyline, so i thought to make an account here and ask a few questions first. any help people could give would be greatly appreciated.

anyway, on with the questions... most are pretty general, but some are on topics like specific skylines and drift/race tracks around perth.

1. can somebody give me some information on all engine modifications that can be performed on a skyline? im really not car-savvy, but i would like to learn so that i can do most of my own work in the future. basically, what part does what, how it would be installed, and if there are any drawbacks on installing that part such as possible frequent overheating. (i realise this is quite a large question, but you people are sure to know more than me, and if each person puts in their two cents, it should be answered quickly)

2. i am interested in something like a r33 gts for drifting, as i hope to one day build a career in drift/racing. i have heard about something called "4 wheel steer" that is on the gts models. from what i understand, the back tyres turn the opposite way to the front tyres at low speeds for a tighter turning circle, and the same way as the front tyres at high speeds. does anybody know if this will affect the cars drifting performance? also, is it able to be switched off?

3. do people here know of any tracks around the perth area that allow you to show up and use the tracks for things such as drifting practise? im sure there would be some costs involved, but again, someone with knowledge of this would be great help.

4. how exactly would i go about getting involved in professional drifting / racing? just start showing up to track days that are held?

5. im looking to get something with roughly 300hp. plenty of power for use on tracks, but not a rediculous amount that i wont be able to control on the roads.. what is the stock power rating for skylines, and what are some basic mods that can get me to this power? im guessing something like a turbo, and maybe an intercooler, but as i said, my knowledge of the car engine doesnt really go past "fill the tank, and make sure to check the oil and water every week or so".

and finally 6. to people who own skylines, how often do you have to check and fill the water and oil? ive overheated a toyota hilux ute because i accidentally forgot to check the water one day, and am slightly paranoid of doing it again to a more valuable car...

i realise that this will be a lot of information to post for one person, so if as many people as possible could offer up some information, that would be greatly appreciated... thanks a lot guys :)

hey guys, my name is ben. im new here. found this site a few months ago and i am considering buying a skyline, so i thought to make an account here and ask a few questions first. any help people could give would be greatly appreciated.

anyway, on with the questions... most are pretty general, but some are on topics like specific skylines and drift/race tracks around perth.

1. can somebody give me some information on all engine modifications that can be performed on a skyline? im really not car-savvy, but i would like to learn so that i can do most of my own work in the future. basically, what part does what, how it would be installed, and if there are any drawbacks on installing that part such as possible frequent overheating. (i realise this is quite a large question, but you people are sure to know more than me, and if each person puts in their two cents, it should be answered quickly)

2. i am interested in something like a r33 gts for drifting, as i hope to one day build a career in drift/racing. i have heard about something called "4 wheel steer" that is on the gts models. from what i understand, the back tyres turn the opposite way to the front tyres at low speeds for a tighter turning circle, and the same way as the front tyres at high speeds. does anybody know if this will affect the cars drifting performance? also, is it able to be switched off?

3. do people here know of any tracks around the perth area that allow you to show up and use the tracks for things such as drifting practise? im sure there would be some costs involved, but again, someone with knowledge of this would be great help.

4. how exactly would i go about getting involved in professional drifting / racing? just start showing up to track days that are held?

5. im looking to get something with roughly 300hp. plenty of power for use on tracks, but not a rediculous amount that i wont be able to control on the roads.. what is the stock power rating for skylines, and what are some basic mods that can get me to this power? im guessing something like a turbo, and maybe an intercooler, but as i said, my knowledge of the car engine doesnt really go past "fill the tank, and make sure to check the oil and water every week or so".

and finally 6. to people who own skylines, how often do you have to check and fill the water and oil? ive overheated a toyota hilux ute because i accidentally forgot to check the water one day, and am slightly paranoid of doing it again to a more valuable car...

i realise that this will be a lot of information to post for one person, so if as many people as possible could offer up some information, that would be greatly appreciated... thanks a lot guys :)

Read this to give you a comprehensive understanding of Skylines. It has all the specs and facts that you'll want...

History of the Nissan Skyline.pdf

After your knowledged up do a search for something like "skyline tuning guide" in the search bar up the top right corner of SAU. You can also use google and it will bring up SAU stuff if its relevent.

If your going drifting, I'd go with a R32 due to it being lighter and far smaller than the 33s or 34s and also the high rev characteristics of the RB20DET. This one is for the R32 GTS-T but theres one lying around for the R33 as well. It's very similar to the R33 actually as it follows the same upgrade principals and will give you a good idea of how to make the power you want.

R32 GTS-T Tuning Guide.doc

Do a search for "buyer's guide" or "buying a skyline" and you will get a lot of threads pop up.

If you're sensible you'll buy a skyline in good condition...if you're even more sensible you will buy one with a recent rebuild and your concerns with water and oil will made obselete as long as you maintain her :cool:

My skyline for example doesn't lose a drop of anything and shes running 320hp and gets a thorough working every now and then. I bought mine with 5000kms on the new engine and I won't stray much from that as headaches and issues with thrashed engines grind my gears like nothing else.

With regard to getting out on a track...If you want to just get some 1/4s done, Kwinana Motorplex is well worth it....$45 bucks for like 10-15 1/4 mile runs MINIMUM! If you want to get into the drift/track scene you'll need to get your CAMS licence and become a member of Barbagallo Raceway....all the info can be found here...http://www.wascc.com.au/

Also something to note...incredible savings can be had by buying over east and bringing one back. As well as this check the classified section on here as SAU guys usually aren't trippers when it comes to market value and will price the car for a quick sale.

All the best Ben!

James

hi james,

thanks a lot for that info, i will be looking at it in just a minute.

just real quickly, could you explain these high rev characteristics for the 32 you mentioned?

ben.

personally i would go the r33/4 over the r32 (and i have owner/drifted/raced all) im not saying this because i dont like r32's. With a little weight reduction and the fact that they come with an rb25 (nothing agains a rb20 i have never thought of changing mine) it makes a better car to start and then develop over a r32, plus they are cheap now!!

To start with you wont need lots of power to drift but a good suspension set up. to become a pro there is a fair bit of work (even harder over here as most 'series' run on the east coast and thats your best bet to gain notice)

As an example i am from Vic and have competed (a few years ago before the days of DA etc) and then supported a few of my very good friends in the DA series. One of these guys has been in Japan for a while and is the first 'outsider' ever to be handed a licence to D1 (a few have demanded/paid for one). In australia he was struggaling to get sponsership and while he competed very well here just got left behind by the guys with big power that didnt have to worry about hitting a wall.

Not to put you off at all, i say get into it enjoy yourself and see where it takes you. Also check out http://www.driftwa.com.au/ as this is were most of the local events are listed.

anything else just ask

cheers

@ boss-zilla,

thanks for the input. i was slightly worried about getting started and actually being noticed, since as far as i knew, there were really no drift events in WA. although i didnt plan on even entering a proper competition for a few years until i finished my uni degree and got a job with a decent income to start serious modding.. i will be sure to check out that link.

@ theboshow and pewpew,

no, clearly i am not 14.. maybe if you had of read my post, or even looked at username, you would have gotten some sort of clue.

(hint 1, the 93 in my username is for the year 1993, when i was born, as syfon and vernos picked up on)

(hint 2, i burnt out a hilux engine driving home, so clearly i have my licence. as far as i know, you cannot get a licence at the age of 14, you must be atleast 17.)

if you do not intend to help me in anyway by somehow answering one of my questions, kindly **** off. you have no reason to be here, unless ofcourse you are a 40something year old internet troll, who spends his time going through internet forums solely to annoy people..

ben.

first of all... this is my opinion. so shoot me if i'm wrong.

but unless you're pretty much born into it - forget "professional racing"

people don't just one day up n decide they're going to be a professional drift racer. idiots like juan pablo montoya are born into rich families and start driving go karts etc from a very early age and graduate into the "professional circuit"

if you're 17/18 whatever... and don't know much about cars / driving / want to dabble then forget making a professional career out of it because beleive me. life is not like gran turismo. you dont do 4 laps of high speed ring and make 10,000 credits.

i was once talking to this guy that was a door to door salesman selling some spray on car wax and i asked him "is this what you do for like, your main job?"

he said OH NA NA i just sell this for fun cos i like the product, my main job is drifting. i have an R33 drift car and a S14 race car. and i just travel around WA attending any and all drift events n just make money off that..

... i was like... 4char-forever-alone-guy-high-resolution-100x100.pngmuch???????????????????????????

BUT

if you want to get into it and do it for some fun then for pete's sake go buy a car, borrow your dads mountain biking helmet and go rip some skids...

as for the power concerns etc. these are the main factors you need to know:

SUSPENSION. HARD AND LOW SUSPENSION

EXHAUST. get straight pipes. none of this "jasma" jdm CRAP. get mild steel, no pre muffler. SOLID PIPES.

a DECENT air filter.

any other "power" mods - deal with them AFTER you've had some fun with it. ie: if you want to boost the engine. do it. if you want bigger injectors. do it.

all im saying is: GROW A PAIR and just "get out there" dont think about it too much. and you won't go wrong!!!

but for christs sake do it in something more exciting than ANOTHER FKN NISSAN.

do it in something with SERIOUS character. something that has charisma you know?

allow me to rant with pictures...

supra1.jpg

MA70 supra with NO IM NOT TELLING YOU WHAT THEY ARE COS I WANT A SET rims.

toyota_soarer_jzz20.jpg

Z20 soarer

ma61-dsc_0290.jpg

MA61 supra

youkouyoukou2000-img600x450-1175144.jpg

910 bluebird

etc etc

my point is - dont worry too much about reading reams and reams of info on the net. VISUALISE a car within your budget constraints. and go from there. deal with problems as they arise.

=)

SUSPENSION. HARD AND LOW SUSPENSION

supra1.jpg

MA70 supra with NO IM NOT TELLING YOU WHAT THEY ARE COS I WANT A SET rims.

toyota_soarer_jzz20.jpg

Z20 soarer

ma61-dsc_0290.jpg

MA61 supra

youkouyoukou2000-img600x450-1175144.jpg

910 bluebird

Sorry Eps but i have to point out that 'low and hard' are not the best suspension set up for any sort of racing, drift or other wise. while you do want it stiffer and lower that stock making it as low and still as possible can be worse.

In saying that i am 100% backing you on the pic rant (mmmmm z20 soarer *drools*) Had a mate with a white one, stuipd amounts of power sooooo coooooool. I also have a thing for the old school style of the oil cooler hanging out the front.

Back to the OP, check out that drift wa site they have all their practice nights/days and comps listed and there is quite a few at barbagallo (spelling??) so nice and easy to get to.

Cheers

To many to list. Look on the internet for online stores and browse through their items to see what there is. A good one is www.nengun.com

Internet is your friend for learning how things work

:mellow:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/280847-thinking-about-getting-into-motorsport-or-track-days/

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/280847-thinking-about-getting-into-motorsport-or-track-days/

Stock power rating is something around 185kw from factory.

You will more than likely need turbo upgrade to reach 300hp. There's to many variables/brands etc. to give a price on how much it would cost to reach 300hp

IMO you're better off buying a car with the modifications already done to it

Oil gets changed every 5000km, you really shouldn't have to check it in between oil changes.

Edited by Dani Boi

Sorry Eps but i have to point out that 'low and hard' are not the best suspension set up for any sort of racing, drift or other wise. while you do want it stiffer and lower that stock making it as low and still as possible can be worse.

*le-sigh*

fiiine but point is you will want to rip out the original suspension and replace it with coilovers - which 11/10 they are low and hard :)

can we hug now?

more pic ranting... but this time it's just cars that you cannot get / cannot afford...

gx61mk2.jpg

p6.jpg

noriyaro_yaruki_mate_cresta_001.jpg

ke70_corolla_at_nikko_001.jpg

aaaand one more for good measure:

ori-img_9773.jpg

back on topic. drift MX5?

dd_10150.jpg

i was originally going to drift in my 84 scorpion just for practice, while i spent a few years going through uni and getting enough money to eventually get a new car, but a truck had other plans...

anyway, i just want a skyline cos they have been my favourite car since the second fast and furious, mostly when i started paying attention to cars. although their age has made me think that maybe something else would be better, brian and his skylines just keep pulling me back :P