SAU Community

Australian Gt

Whiplash

Some great racing from PI, keep an eye out for a replay of the telecast.

Plenty of close racing between lots of different cars, some great passes and real door to door racing.

IE the 1.8L lotus taking on the V10 Audi!

Things really starting to build up for 2012

1 2011 458 GT3 already in the country and another 1-2 coming late this year

1 2011 Gallardo LP600 on its way, the 2010 LP560 is apparently getting converted to an LP600 and will be eligible (whether it runs or not is a different story)

No news on the GT3 Corvette's plans next year, is mainly pulled out for drive days in melbourne.

a couple more Audi's apparently running next year

Rumors of a V8 Z4 GT3 coming down (one is entered for the Bathurst 12 hour too) and a GT-R has been mentioned too for the Championship

2012 Aston Vantage has been ordered by everyone favorite pet food company, no details of due date here in Aust as yet

No McLarens as to keep them exclusive they will only be making a few and they are all sold out

Will keep you updated if I hear anything more.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ford GT confirmed for 2012 :worship:

coming to Adelaide for Kevin Weeks, may take part in the 12 hour as well in Feb

i'm curious which one he bought (and how much) I had a pair last year i couldn't off load to anyone (at a heavily discounted price which was cheaper than the ones i have seen listed for sale)

Ford GT confirmed for 2012 :worship:

coming to Adelaide for Kevin Weeks, may take part in the 12 hour as well in Feb

i'm curious which one he bought (and how much) I had a pair last year i couldn't off load to anyone (at a heavily discounted price which was cheaper than the ones i have seen listed for sale)

Very cool indeed :thumbsup:

The GT is my favourite GT1/GT3 spec car and will be awesome to have one running around in the championship. Curious as to why he'd go for one over his Gallardo though, as from what I've seen (which is limited as I concentrate on the GT1 championship) in GT3 guise the Lambo is quicker?

Very cool indeed :thumbsup:

The GT is my favourite GT1/GT3 spec car and will be awesome to have one running around in the championship. Curious as to why he'd go for one over his Gallardo though, as from what I've seen (which is limited as I concentrate on the GT1 championship) in GT3 guise the Lambo is quicker?

current spec Gallardo is quicker, at the moment he has an early spec one, rear tires are undersized and cook too quickly which isn't good in the 1 hour formats

they had a lot of trouble at PI in the 1 hour races

Weeksie's Ford GT GT3 was purchased out of Asia, the previous owner ordered it built from new, did 12 laps a Sepang and apparently so scared of it he put it straight on the market!

Looks awesome in white, but will no doubt look very sharp in black once it's ready to roll.

Edited by t01-100

Weeksie's Ford GT GT3 was purchased out of Asia, the previous owner ordered it built from new, did 12 laps a Sepang and apparently so scared of it he put it straight on the market!

Looks awesome in white, but will no doubt look very sharp in black once it's ready to roll.

Cheers

Working on getting another new car down here next season so watch this space :ninja:

Great stuff, it's very cool to have such awesome cars in our local championship considering how far removed we are from Europe.

I do keep comparing the current spend on my RX-7 race car to what a 996 Carrera Cup car could be had for, but as light as my usage would be I'm still deterred by engine and gearbox rebuilt costs!

Haha - yeah I keep thinking a 996 and a crack at the Challenge Cup is next on my list of things to do (entry is under $10K for a full season).

With plenty of old cars well under the $100K mark it seems like it should all up be a lot cheaper than running a full Targa season in Modern.

But the running costs for these things are the great unknown.

I need to catch up for a beer with old mate Simon Middleton who is the typical gentleman racer in these types of series for his thoughts.

Haha - yeah I keep thinking a 996 and a crack at the Challenge Cup is next on my list of things to do (entry is under $10K for a full season).

With plenty of old cars well under the $100K mark it seems like it should all up be a lot cheaper than running a full Targa season in Modern.

But the running costs for these things are the great unknown.

I need to catch up for a beer with old mate Simon Middleton who is the typical gentleman racer in these types of series for his thoughts.

Haven't been directly involved with any 996 cups to really say on running costs, I know a few of the guys in the Cup Challenge swear by the low running costs of the 997 for that category, just basic service, oils ect and they are good to go

Yeah I few mates who looked at 996 Cups have ended up buying 997 Cups and they're happy with running costs compared to what they were told to expect with a 996, but I prefer the 996's styling... was great fun running the dirty ol' GTSt again Garwood's 996 back in 2004's state championship, the Porka note sounded awesome over the RB20 engine whine! :)

208246_6222342983_640892983_263414_5151_n.jpg

Not that I know much about Carrera Cup cars, but as I understand it, the 997 was simply more competition focused model, although both are an evolution of a road car shell with mods, the 996 was less improved.

The 997 has a squential gearbox instead of H-pattern, MoTeC logging, not sure if it's MoTeC ECU though, brakes, suspension and many other improvments over the 996.

997's also have no ABS, so that can be a bit of a leveller in some conditions and tracks. Running cost comparisons working in the 997's favour could also be very much related to the use the car has had also.

I was contemplating a cup car last year, and thye huge expense that the 180 had taken to get where it was and the cost of all these 996's really got me thinking and it's what prompted me to really start considering selling up and moving on. In the end my decision came down to the SR3 or a 996 Cup Car and I went the SR3 for a number of reasons, but first and foremost was fear of the running costs. I had a good idea of what engine and 'box rebuilds were worth and they were a hell of a lot higher than what I'd be up for in a 996, and the Radical is quicker on most tracks.

Having said that, the person I bought my Race Ramps off runs Cup Cars and was convinced his running costs would be less than mine so I'll have to catch up with him at one of the rounds and compare notes. GMR look after a Cup Car and speaking with the guys I'm thinking my car is the cheaper car to run, especially if you do some damage to the bodywork.

I'll still get a Porka one day though, but it will most likely be a road car or a classic 911S/356 etc :cheers:

Yeah fair enough, I remember Baron saying a rear bumper for the Porka was about 5k or something silly.

If he ever comes out of his hole I'll direct him here.

I recall a few youtube clips on the GT3's in Europe the guys running them said the box was a weak point in both the 996 and 997, but I don't know whether the sequential or the H-pattern was stronger.

• 2 weeks later...