SAU Community

Cant Get Oil Pressure

jarrod83

Hey Guys,

finishing my rb30 rebuild, it has a nitto oil pump, primed the system by filling up the outside hose of the oil cooler and cranking the engine backwards until it had sucked up a good 500ml of oil, left the hose off and cranked it over.

Absolutely none of the oil comes back out the hose almost like its draining straight through the pump, any ideas??

could the gasket that goes between the block and the oil pickup be leaking causing the oil to drain out of the oil pickup? or an airleak elsewhere on the pump causing the problem?

Jarrod

Did you put assembly lube or vasoline in the pump gears to help it generate more suction?

Why did you crank it backwards to suck in oil for? If you put some lube in the pump gears and pulled the plugs and injector lead and just wound it over it should prime normally.

Did you disassemble the pump by any chance and forget to do something up or left something out maybe?

didnt put in any lube or vaseline, was just told to prime it by filling the pump out section with oil and crank it back a few times.

The only thing im a bit sketchy on is oil pickup gasket, i think i may have used the old rb25 one as i found what looks like the new one on the floor when i was cleaning up and i had already dropped the engine in. If theres no other possible causes i may have to "attempt" to drop the cross member and remove the sump and try replacing it. I was kind of hoping that i may of had two new ones floating around as ive used a fair few gasket kits.

I know you cant drop the factory sump off with the cross member still there. If you dropped the cross member you could do it. Ive tried this before and couldnt get it off while the cross member was there.

Might be easier to just pull it all out and double check that gasket if its a big question mark. It would have to be a big leak for it to not prime up.

When i first put my nitto oil pump in it wouldn't get any oil pressure just had to give the car a rev n it shot up just. Needed a bit of suction

Edited by t04z

so you couldnt get it to pump oil by priming it and cranking the engine?? You had to actually start it to get it going?

I completely removed the oil cooler and standard oil filter backing plate and left just an oil filter using the rb30 threaded fitting. Drained the oil out of it and pumped it all back in through the 1/8th bsb thread on the side of the block next to the oil filter.. cranked it over and still nothing.

I might pump the oil back through the fitting and check that its getting to the head and try starting it for 5 seconds.

Edited by jarrod83

my old motor wouldnt make pressure cranking, even with a used oil pump full of oil and heaps of priming. even after 5 mins of cranking there was nothing, started it up and had pressure within 2 seconds. sometimes cranking just isnt enough, aslong as everything was assembled with lube and oil in all the right places it can run for a few seconds without pressure without doing any damage.

Abit scary thinking about starting it without knowing there is oil pressure there.

Silly question, but you do have the spark plugs out right and its turning over quickly and freely?

so you couldnt get it to pump oil by priming it and cranking the engine?? You had to actually start it to get it going?

Yea cranking it wouldn't work did that for ages so bit the bullet and started it then it was fine after that

fk, cant believe it, but i primed the f*kker, started it, oil pressure just flicked straight up...

besides opening the oil pump and filling it with vaseline i couldnt have done any more to prime it for pressure, cheers for all the input guys, wouldnt of attempted starting it without pressure without it.

Jarrod