SAU Community

Difference between an EL and Mechanical Boost Guage

Guilty:

Mechanical - you have to run a boost line into the cabin to hook up to the gauge.

Electrical - You have a sender unit in the engine bay near the boost line and run wires in the cabin to the boost gauge that sends an electronic signal to the boost gauge.

you can get mechanical el guages... the big difference / confusion is mechanical and electronic... mech ones are a lot cheaper... i've got a blitz mechanical 52mm gauge and it's great if you can be bothered running a hose into your cabin... electronic normally have a high cost for the guage then another high cost for the electronic control unit...

Guest INASNT

Its the same difference as running a mechanical and electronic boost controller. The electronc one will work better. Electronic will do all the peak hold and other extra functions where the mechanical wont.

EL is a type of gauge that apexi make, it mean the backlit is electroluminicant (no bulb used) and they come in both mechanical and electronic form.

I think the other main reason for electronic vs. mechanical is the safety aspect (although the chances of something going wrong are extremely low.)

Mechanical gauges require a pipe to run from the engine to the back of the gauge. If the pipe were to break/burst or the fitting came undone (as I said, extremely low odds), whatever is in the pipe is free to spray all over the interior of your car. Boost may not be too bad, you'll just end up with the cutting out problem from having a vacuum leak. But having a pressurised hot oil pipe leaking/spraying in your interior (and your face) is not good!

Electrical gauges have the sensor right at the place they're measuring - if there's a leak, its in the engine bay.

From memory some levels of competition don't allow mechanical gauges for this reason, highly modified engines start lowering the odds on the "things going wrong" scale.

For street use though, mechanical boost gauge is fine for general boost observation (most also display the vaccum which could be advantageous to you?). I'm about to get one but am thinking of spending the extra money on an electrical with peak hold and warning. Don't have much time to watch the gauge when you're driving on the road, better to see the peak boost after your run IMHO. Having the overboost warning light is definately an added benefit too if I'm watching the road and not my boost!

Guest INASNT

also remember that some gauges u can only get electronic version of like the oil pressure and temp gauges coz of the safety reasons.

Yeah, most of the good Japanese companies only have the elect. ones for oil and any other potentially unsafe gauge. Some companies (ie. Autometer) have 'em all available as mechanical though.