SAU Community

How To Mask Small Roof Touch Up Job

Hey guys, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I posted a thread a while ago explaining how I flaked off some paint from my R34 GTT's roof while using a pressure cleaner - learnt my lesson, never do that again.

Anyway I'd like to quick advice how to complete a quick temporary touch up job with this while I save up for a proper roof respray. I had a go a few weeks ago and it looks quite crappy - I gave it a sand a masked as close to the outline of the flakes, the result is a slightly mis-coloured square of paint that's got a defined "edge" as if it was raised. I'm going to sand this away and try again.

Have a look at the following pics to see what it looked like before. Pic one. Pic two.

I have a general idea on the process, apply several coats of primer (15mins between) - then the colour matched paint, then clear coat.

My question is how to mask this up so I don't get such a defined "edge" and so it blends in a bit better. The color coded paint I bought (from the colour code on firewall) is slightly different from actual color due to being 12 years old. Perhaps I should get a small batch of paint mixed up from a paint shop?

I had same issue with 33 but closer to A-pillar. I Got business cards and placed them under windscreen seal then masked drop sheet to the business cards. Then ran tape along door - roof trim. Sanded it down lightly with 800 W&D. Then Hit it lightly with body filler, sanded back with 1000 W&D gave it one coat of primer cause didn't go back to metal. Then 1000 W&D again. Then coat of paint, Sand back wet with 1000W&D. repeated twice, then hit it with clear and 2000 W&D.

I am not in the paint/panel beating trade by all means but when people say you can't use a pressure pak I tell them to show me where I repaired the roof and they never get it.

Just done my 180 bonnet and headights with pressure pak cause i'm a dodgy **** and it's a drifta but people still say good results for a rattle can.

I'm heading out for a BBQ but when I get back I'll see if I can gather some photos up.

• 1 month later...

My car is at panel shop atm. Was supposed to be ready on wed. If I get it tomorrow (fingers crossed) I'll take some Full Res pics and post em up. I will then take some of the other part of the roof I still have to do and do a before and after. Will spray that this weekend if car comes back.

r31slpr's repair looks good! Not full res, but still :thumbsup: