SAU Community

limp mode? maybe

The other night i disconnected my ecu and left it all night. Reconnected it in the morning and tried to drive it down the street. It was barely idling, but i was able to rev it over 2500rpm. For some reason the boost comes on straight away whenever i go to take off. After a few mins i went home and i popped the hood to see the turbo blowing smoke. The temp gauge in the car was fine but the turbo was very hot. What should i do?

Not sure exactly what you mean, it was barely idling - does this mean it was idling rough?

Boost coming in early could be because the ecu was reset.

If you have troubles with the idle, check the one thing you farked with - the ecu plug. That's where I would look first. Make sure its located properly, that no pins were bent etc.

Must ask, why did you disconnect the ECU? If you just want to do a reset, it is quicker and easier to just lift the negative terminal off the battery.

Try tightening the screw that plugs into the ECU. If its not in properly it will make the car run a bit sh1t as its not connecting properly.

If it wont rev over 2500 rpm its in limp home mode. Check that your AFM is plugged right in too.

Boost comes on early and exhaust temps rise when your ignition timing is mega retarded

This is hard to explain

When i disconnected the ecu I meant I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery... When I started the car is wasn't idling at all. The car will rev above 2500rpm but the boost comes straight away. I have to pump the pedle to get the reves up. Now I believe it is a timing issue.

When I removed the timing unit a few weeks ago the positive locating piece had broken off. So I believe my timing was out just barely. This wasn't a problem until i reset the ecu. when I reset the ecu I think it realised the timing is out and won't let the engine run properly. I can't think what is going on with the turbo tho???

It most certainly does explain what the turbo is doing, your firing the charge heaps later than normal which results in half your combustion taking place on the way out of the chamber and giving your turbs a nice big shunt as it goes through your exhaust.

Also explains your ultra hot turbine, manifold etc.