SAU Community

My 32 Skidder

its been a while since ive been on here, the car hasnt changed too much, except for buying some lenso d1r's in 17x9+17 for the front for steer wheels, i wrapped them in federal Rpms, and then enter the 3rd round down here,

the car felt awesome with the new front grip and how it handled, also the handbrake working is a nice touch, qualified in 19th place, i was stoked as it was my best result too date, but then just too take that away from me i got penalised to the bottom of the battle tree, because on my second qualifying run i spun after "the drifted" section

that ment i was up againt Brodie Moore, i had a ball chasing him , but downed a 9" slong and choked hard!, spining coming into turn 2, may competition day was done, but i was happy knowing that i had done a decent run in quailfying,

we had a hour exprssion session in the afternoon after all the battles, and i went out like an angry teenager that i am, and decided to drive as hard and stupid as possible, entering at 135ks, and doing trains at the same time, then after about 3 laps of that i got told to settle down, which i didnt adbide by , just enjoied pushing my car and my skills to the limit, in turn blowing a hole in my 16s, but i guess you get that when they say ECO on them ,

and then on sunday i enter my car in a local dyno day, setup as run what you brung sort of deal, the first time my car had seen a dyno, (in my ownership), pulling out 166kw ant 12psi, with 447nm of torque,

not bad for a stock rb20 with ebay turbo , stock injectors, and stock computer,

looking forward to getting my nistune and 450 injectors in and getting some more power of out it,

last practice day of the year coming up on the 27 and the first time i skid with 17s on the back, bought a pair of wise sport wheels for $100, 17x9 +38

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i had my last practice day for the year yesterday, and what a crappy day, first up went to start the car at 6am and BAM flat battery, jumped it off a mates car who was down staying at mine for the practice day and headed to baskerville, about an hour and a half into the morning practice session, my clutch pedal bracket broke the captive nut out, spent about an hour fixxing it managing to put a bolt and washer holding it for the rest of the day , but by the time we fixxed it it was the lunch break,

after lunch i headed out ready to get back into the feel, but after about an hour i spun and the lerk going over the curb put my fan into the raidiator, it never had much clearance since i put it in,

heres a bit of vid from my runs and photos of the raidiator damage

how i found the fan when i got back to the pits

DSCF2666.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

well as peter has touched on i went out to basky with a few mates for a private practice day, was battling overheating all day getting about 4 laps before i had to let it cool down,

in the final session for me i blew a heater hose and dropped all my coolant, without my temp gauge rising i did another 2 laps, until the brakes went to the floor,

came in and car was so hot it stalled and woulnt start again

finally got it to start and it was hating life, turned it off let the thermo fan run for an hour draining my battery, causing us to roll start the car and load it onto my mates car trailer,

heres the vid

Sorry to hear about your engine.

I'd be putting your stock fan back on... thermo fans won't normally cut it on a skyline. hence your overheating issue.

looks like fun though...

Cheers

J.

its not the fan causing the over heating its all the 20 year old hoses going when pressurised, and yesterdays was idiots usuing braided cover rubber hoses for turbo water lines, and ofcourse the heat off the turbo cooked the rubber till it went brittle and blew out,

on the street in 30+ heat the single thermo cuts the mustard, and as i only use the car for skidding , it only gets 40+ seconds of thrashing then about 3-5 mins of idle cool down,

That sux man. I would sugest a sadwich plate and install aftermarket oil pressure gauge. Just to be safe. Then you wont really need that light, unless you get say a defi or replica with the warning light built into the guage. Ebay shadow series ;) Im doing similar set up in my 32 tracker. Curious what size thermo fan do you use? I have aftermarket alloy radiator aswell didnt come with fans, originally think it had 2x10inch fans but yah idk what to run. She will be doing time attack and a couple drift events.

• 2 weeks later...

well round 4 was last saturday, i chemiweld'ed my car up to get it through the day, which sorta worked, it wasnt pushing all the water out but was losing alot, and overflowing the overflow, through the day i used more than 35L of water, and i could only do 1 lap before the car was boiling, a battle was going to be an effort

anyway onto the day, for once i towed my car to basky, because i didnt expect to get more than 1 lap, i did 3 RUFF practice laps, before qualifying not getting in the grove , went in my first quali run and did an ok lap, wasnt happy with it, but i had to let the car cool down, it cooled down just in time and i manged to get out there for a second quali run which was alot better, putting me in 16th, my highest position all year,

In the battle i came up agaisnt Jake Crawford, in my first run i choked out like usual, the second run i just made the most of it and tried a few different things, which sorta worked for my first time trying them, and it just made it through the battle, luckily

expression session in the after became a game of trying to destroy the engine, before y second hand 16s died, sadly the tyres died, engine was hating it but never missed a beat all day and drove on the trailer fine,

but now the time has come where the Rb20 MUST go, but what will fill its hole?, 2013 will answer that question

heres a video from the day,

Hell No!!!! You!!!

20's are awsome!

Best thrashable, lowish power rb ever!

You just have to support it properly... any engine is going to fry if your cooling system is up the shizz.

Keep it cool, keep it fueled and keep the oil in it... easy!

J.

yah i have just built a stockish 2L so cant wait to see how it goes. Plenum upgrade, 33 turbo and valve seats smoothed and shaved along with stock ecu and cams, FMC i like the challenge of building a tough RB20. I want people to come up and say, man whats in that and when i say Rb20 see the priceless look on their faces lol