SAU Community

To people in Japan...

DCD

...been having this conversation with a friend. We came to the conclusion that you could be placed anywhere in a fairly large town/city in Japan and everything around you would look the same. And not even in large built up areas...I mean don't you guys find that Japan all looks the same??

Don't get me wrong, this is not criticism, just observation, but layout in this country is practically identical throughout the whole country. There is little in the way of individuality to specific areas.

Anyway all of this developed from a drawing of a map! Basically if you have to find any place in Japan you will be confronted with a drawing of 2 pairs (or more) of perpendicular lines, representing roads, and some points of reference which always seems to be a couple of convenience stores or gasorin standos!!:rant: Could be anywhere in Japan!!

Mmm, that said, I think Kobe has a certain "feel" about it thats quite unique in Japan. It's long history as a foreign trading post gives it a more cosmopolitan feel than other big Japanese cities, and the close proximity of Kyoto (historic city) and Osaka (f*ckin big-ass city). But as far as archiecture/layout goes... zenbu issho!

Good, glad I'm not the only one thinking this:)

Being used to Italian and British cities I guess Japan feels a bit bland in comparison. But that said it certainly remains a unique country and I love it just the same...