SAU Community

Radiator Leak Off Plenum Inlet - Help Needed

hey guys ,

after a month of my car not running the last week or so iv taken her out a few times , iv come to notice a leak off my plenum on the inlet. its basically coming from the cylinder that you push into the plenum which the top radiator hose connects to .

does anyone have any suggestions how to prevent it leaking, or a way to get the cylinder back out and use some sort or sealer by recommendation ? thoughts appreciated

cheers.

post-32277-0-13848800-1336543406_thumb.jpg

You will have to pull it back out to seal it properly. I dont see anything helping without taking it out

Was it a tight fit when it went in? I had to knock mine in as it was quite tight, and I used a bit of bearing retainer to hold it in there as well. No problems and been on for over 2 years

yeah it was a very tight fit - i remember when preparing the plenum i was thinking about sealing it, i had to kock it in pretty hard with a hammer thats why i thought it would be ok. theres like a 1mm gap on the bottom which iv just noticed via taking shots with the iphone . im wondering if a few more taps with the hammer to get it sitting true all around will potentially prevent my problem . i dont see it be an easy job getting that cylinder out .

good old hammer , managed to smack it in so its 100% flat , but i just rooted my hose clamp , so new clamp in the morning to know weather iv sorted this problem :(

Yeah see how it goes. Interference fit shouldn't leak at the heat and pressure your cool system is under.

Next time use something to seal it but. Better safe then sorry ;)

yeah i get what you mean , i let her run for a fair while until she was well at running temps , didnt have the hose tightened up 100% thats why she dribled , thats when a few more turns ruined the clamp. the amount of times iv taken it off in the last week and tightened trying to find this leak lol that clamp had it coming. hopefully it doesnt leak tomorrow with the new clamp , otherwise im out of options , this problem is really starting to piss me off.

still no luck with new clamps , now i can see its coming out quite noticably , just keeps dripping through the smallets hairline gap between the cylidner and plenum ... some kind of sealant has to go in there .

for anyone that can help , i have luckily managed to remove the cylinder from the plenum , now can anyone tell me what product i should use to seal it with before i chuck it back in

cheers

i was thinking the same thing , just awaiting some one to confirm , just read up it :

• Withstands petrol, oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluids, most chemical, steam, water and vibration
  • Withstands temperatures up to 230 degrees celsius

so hopefully this will fix this damn leak :)

cheers guys

get some 3-bond or blue-maxx and smear a tiny bit on the fitting that pushes into the plenum. Probably smear it about 5mm from the inner part up to the step then push it in. This will save any sealant getting into the engine itself

let it dry for a few hours or a day even

• 6 months later...

hope you guys can help out,

i have a problem with my standard rb25 plenum, that exact part has corroded in mine, so needs replacing, i have been talking to a guy on another thread who had the same issue and just hammered in a pipe to replace, do you guys know if the standard plenum is the same as the greddy, where its a pipe like yours that you can hammer in? as i have been told it is, but want to be 100% before i try and remove the corroded piece,

also where did you guys but that pipe from, or did it come with the plenum?