SAU Community

Rb20Det Oil Pump Clearance And Checking

Hi,

I'm after some guidance as to RB20DET oil pump clearance and checking before I put it back on. The engine is being balanced with forged pistons and I will be doing some revs with Motorkhana and Drift.

I can't find anywhere on an overhaul procedure or any kind of checks I can to before putting it back on.

Also someone was saying the drift guys have an oil drain coming from the head as prolonged revs end up with all the oil in the head.

Can someone enlighten me or send me a link to some good / factory information please?

Hi,

I'm after some guidance as to RB20DET oil pump clearance and checking before I put it back on. The engine is being balanced with forged pistons and I will be doing some revs with Motorkhana and Drift.

I can't find anywhere on an overhaul procedure or any kind of checks I can to before putting it back on.

Also someone was saying the drift guys have an oil drain coming from the head as prolonged revs end up with all the oil in the head.

Can someone enlighten me or send me a link to some good / factory information please?

These aren't from a book (I haven't written it yet anyway) but a healthy pump is usually 0.006-0.008" between the teeth while the pump is out in your hand and while you hold the opposite side meshed together. It's about 0.004" when the pump is installed.

Check the flats with verniers to make sure they are parallel all the way across and then measure the crank across the flats to make sure you are within about 0.010-0.015" clearance there. Check for scoring on the round section and make sure the diameter on the running face is identical all the way around, right up to the edge of the flats.

Clearance to the crank on that section is usually something like 0.006-0.008" but it can vary between engines.

Check the outer diameter of the outer gear and ensure its exactly the same diameter all the way around.

Next, install the centre gear in the pump and make sure it turns freely. Take it out and install the outer gear and check the same.

Now install both and turn it. Make sure it turns very freely.

Now tighten the backing plate down with the screws and make sure you use an impact driver.

Now check the pump still turns freely. You should be able to turn it easily with 2 fingers.

Now pull it all apart and pre-lube it around the rotor area with engine assembly lube or similar. Re-attach the backing plate using new screws and a single drop of loctite on the thread. Once again, impact drive them down.

Remove the pressure relief valve nut from the pump and take out the spring. Turn the pump upside down and the relief valve/piston should slide out cleanly without assistance. Gently place it back in the same way it came out and ensure it slides all the way back down without restriction. Re-install the spring and nut.

That's about it

Edit: and these instructions assume you have thoroughly cleaned the pump already