SAU Community

R34 Fuel System Question

Hello,

I've been told to clean my fuel sensor to see if that will help my gauge problems out. I've been linked a page to clean it (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/363010-fuel-level-sender-cleaning-r33-gtst/)

But i can't find any info on where to access my fuel sensor, in my 1999 R34 GTT. People said in the boot you should see some screws? I've looked and failed to see them. If anyone can link me a guide or tell me where to look that would be a great help!

Cheers, Zac

Open your boot. Directly in front of you where the back of the rear seats would be, theres 2 grey trims you need to remove. One is a flat panel, the other is L shaped.. Pull these out. Next you'll see a metal square cover held down with 4 bolts and some wires running under it. Pull this off and you'll find some fuel lines and wiring going into the tank.

Unplug both electrical plugs, then crank your car as if you are trying to start it.. This will relieve the fuel pressure in the lines. Now carefully pull off the fuel lines (they are brittle, easy to break).

Grab a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap the large black ring anticlockwise. It will unscrew and you will be able to pull the beige center piece out. Slip your arm down into the drivers side of the tank, and you'll find the metal cradel with the fuel pump on it. To the right of this is the level sensor. Its white and about 30cm long. Its clipped in awkwardly but if you have a look in with a torch you'll see how its held.

Slide it out and pull it apart carefully. Generally the plastic is brittle so again just be gentle. Give it a clean inside and then put everything back together carefully.

Open your boot. Directly in front of you where the back of the rear seats would be, theres 2 grey trims you need to remove. One is a flat panel, the other is L shaped.. Pull these out. Next you'll see a metal square cover held down with 4 bolts and some wires running under it. Pull this off and you'll find some fuel lines and wiring going into the tank.

Unplug both electrical plugs, then crank your car as if you are trying to start it.. This will relieve the fuel pressure in the lines. Now carefully pull off the fuel lines (they are brittle, easy to break).

Grab a large flathead screwdriver and a hammer and tap the large black ring anticlockwise. It will unscrew and you will be able to pull the beige center piece out. Slip your arm down into the drivers side of the tank, and you'll find the metal cradel with the fuel pump on it. To the right of this is the level sensor. Its white and about 30cm long. Its clipped in awkwardly but if you have a look in with a torch you'll see how its held.

Slide it out and pull it apart carefully. Generally the plastic is brittle so again just be gentle. Give it a clean inside and then put everything back together carefully.

All sounds very similar to an R33, however, I would recommend using a piece of wood (tomato stake etc) instead of a Screwdriver to open the lid dealy.

A little more forgiving on the plastic ring. :)

Thank you! I'll be giving it ago tomorrow at some stage, hopefully next time i comment on here it will be with good news haha

Cheers, Zac